[Poll] NPC stats/portraits/XP continuity

K4thos

NPC stats/portraits/XP continuity  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion EET should refrain from adjusting stats and portraits during the BG1/2 transition.

There is no rule conform in-game justification for the stat changes and especially the portrait changes would pretty much break immersion completely for me. (If you look at Jaheira, there is really no logical explanation for such a drastic appearance change outside of a wild surge.)

On top of all that, EET doing the adjusting by default might also cause conflicts with mods that change stats and or portraits.

If there really is a demand for an in-game adjustment during the transition I would rather see that as an additional option for EET Tweaks.

Well, I voted; 2, 2, 1 ... the third question could also be 2 aka no change, IF the EET Tweaks would have a optional component to set the default ToB start XP to a realistic amounts if it's below that on the NPCs record:

2 million, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75 ...180 million. :devlook: Yeah, I just want a little more. :devlook:

As for the gnolls vs vampires on Minsc, I would leave it to the BG1 value, too.

Voted 2, 2, 2 for obvious reasons

First two go for continuity, one of the main goals of EET.

Third is an interesting feature I had always preferred to have, NPCs joining you should have the experience and stats that represent their own background story, not that of the PC, i.e. if they never had a chance to develop their skills during BG1 + BG2 in the same massive way the PC party did, why should they now appear at high level. The mixture of *weak* and experienced NPCs adds an interesting challenge to ToB.

Third is an interesting feature I had always preferred to have, NPCs joining you should have the experience and stats that represent their own background story, not that of the PC, i.e. if they never had a chance to develop their skills during BG1 + BG2 in the same massive way the PC party did, why should they now appear at high level. The mixture of *weak* and experienced NPCs adds an interesting challenge to ToB.

So while you play the BG1EE game(in EET), you run to say Xzar in the very first "real" map, he is at level 1 and so on. Are you going to likely let him join your group in ToB, at level 1 ?

This of course removes the fact that he had life to live and you could ran into him in BG2 in the Harper quest and he* was at level 13. Now *it's death variable is actually Lyros, so he might not be the same dude from BG1, but anyways.

voted 2-2-1 also for obvious (I love this word) reasons :)

About Minsc : 2 (maybe with a component of EET_Tweaks to choose between gnoll and vampire? I don't think it's important, I don't remember that those are related with the history of Minsc... has a gnollor a vampire tried to eat Boo ?)

Main idea : I think that players are expecting something with consistency (If I leave a characters in BG1 in a condition, I hope to find himself in something similar* in BG2).

However, I don't expect something particular about NPC not played in BG1 (for me, they are supposed to live their own life when you live yours :) )

*Adding few XP can be explained/expected (aren't NPC supposed to live their own life also between BG1 and BG2 ? what ? have I already said that ?) but if you do it, don't add too much XP.

Ninjaed by Jarno :)

So while you play the BG1EE game(in EET), you run to say Xzar in the very first "real" map, he is at level 1 and so on. Are you going to likely let him join your group in ToB, at level 1 ?

This of course removes the fact that he had life to live and you could ran into him in BG2 in the Harper quest and he* was at level 13. Now *it's death variable is actually Lyros, so he might not be the same dude from BG1, but anyways.

The discussion could as well be why Xzar - with the obvious background story he has - should be at level 1 with a pocketknife in his hand having sinister business on the Sword Coast?

Even if he did some business and gained some experience in between, he has not fought Sarevok, saved the Sword Coast, saved Suldanessalar, been to Hell and back etc. So how much could he have advanced, is it even measurable compared to the PC party?

I was always very much confused when meeting Jaheira and Khalid at the FAI, your designated tutors and guardians and experienced harpers who had been through some significant campaigns before they met you - and they have the same experience like the orphan who just left Candlekeep, strange?

voted 2-2-1 also for obvious (I love this word) reasons :)

About Minsc : 2 (maybe with a component of EET_Tweaks to choose between gnoll and vampire? I don't think it's important, I don't remember that those are related with the history of Minsc... has a gnollor a vampire tried to eat Boo ?)

I have to confess, i never noticed that vampire thing before. There is nothing that points to that unless you look him up with NI or similar.

Gnoll makes a little bit of sense since they captured his Dynaheir - although both in BG1 as in BG2 from what he says in his dialogues he always expresses that he hates Orcs most of all???

Main idea : I think that players are expecting something with consistency (If I leave a characters in BG1 in a condition, I hope to find himself in something similar* in BG2).

However, I don't expect something particular about NPC not played in BG1 (for me, they are supposed to live their own life when you live yours :) )

*Adding few XP can be explained/expected (aren't NPC supposed to live their own life also between BG1 and BG2 ? what ? have I already said that ?) but if you do it, don't add too much XP.

Ninjaed by Jarno :)

Please vote and consider leaving a message if you want to back your opinion.

-------

Aditional question (polls are limited to 3):

Minsc's racial enemy is Gnoll in BG1 and Vampires in BG2. How this should be handled by EET?

- Change it automatically during BG2 transition

- Leave his BG1 racial enemy as it is.

Well, there is a third possible option: make his favored enemy a vampire in the BG1 portion.

... just sayin' :D

I have a different question about continuity. Spoilers ahead, but I guess people over here know almost everything about their beloved game.

There is (was?) an annoying bug in BGT. If you romanced Jaheira or Viconia (which both were companions from the first game) there could be trouble during resurrecting your girl after final Bodhi showdown. The resurrected NPC is the one from BG1, not BG2, and all hell breakes loose when that happens. Are you aware of this problem? - if not, please look into it.

Cheers!

Archived