[Poll] NPC stats/portraits/XP continuity

K4thos

NPC stats/portraits/XP continuity  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a different question about continuity. Spoilers ahead, but I guess people over here know almost everything about their beloved game.

There is (was?) an annoying bug in BGT. If you romanced Jaheira or Viconia (which both were companions from the first game) there could be trouble during resurrecting your girl after final Bodhi showdown. The resurrected NPC is the one from BG1, not BG2, and all hell breakes loose when that happens. Are you aware of this problem? - if not, please look into it.

Cheers!

What you describe is not a general bug of BGT. (I never had it in dozens of playthroughs).

If something like that happened to you, there is more information required, e.g. your Weidu.log that lists the mods you had personally installed and the order in which you did it etc.

Well, it didn't happen to me, but to a friend. I believe there were other cases of such, because there are people talking about it when I googled it. Also, it happened some time ago, so no more files to check upon. Must be separate accidents, as you say.

Thank you, Roxanne! A most appreciated reply.

Someone who voted to change Minsc's favored enemy to vampires... I understand how this is mechanically advantageous in BG2, but it makes zero sense to me; when has he ever faced s vampire? What in his history or character has anything at all to do with vampires?

Gnolls makes a lot more sense to me, but I'd like to hear thoughts on the issue from someone who voted vampire.

(But, keep in mind I haven't played SoD so if your response involves spoilers please just don't respond, I'll take the hint. :) )

There are a few vampires in SoD, but they are not too personal for Minsc. A few gnolls at the crusade camp.

But IIRC there are very few gnolls in BGII, so changing the racial enemy would probably be not a bad idea.

so changing the racial enemy would probably be not a bad idea.

Given it's gnolls in BG1, and there's a whole reason for that which is grounded in the story, I feel like a better choice for Minsc in BG2 would be more dog-people, i.e. werewolves.

Vampires just makes no kind of sense. Just more Bioware munchkinism - stats over story.

At least werewolves have some basic similarity to gnolls (part man, part canine). What do vampires have to do with Minsc in any way at all?

I say, either keep his favored enemy as gnolls the whole game, or change it to something that makes sense for his character. Vampires make no sense.

I feel like the Favoured Enemy ability is really underdeveloped in BG. Most enemy types you will only encounter in a very specific level range, making the ability useless for most of the game. It also doesn't make sense thematically that a character could change his favoured enemy at some point in time, unless he had some profound encounter that changed everything he thought he knew. In D&D 3.5, rangers gain additional favoured enemies as they level up, but they don't lose old ones.

I also feel like the bonuses aren't so impressive that they need to be worried too much. For Minsc, I definitely prefer he has gnolls in BG1 since it helps with the Dynaheir quest. For all the other votes, I went for consistency, but having gnoll as a favoured enemy in BG2 is kind of useless, so I understand why BioWare changed that, and I voted for EET to change it upon transition.

It should be simple enough to add a "change favored enemy during transition" component to EET Tweaks. That way players that want this can get it while players that favor consistency are unaffected. (Doing it the other way around would make way more effort and seems illogical.)

It should be simple enough to add a "change favored enemy during transition" component to EET Tweaks. That way players that want this can get it while players that favor consistency are unaffected. (Doing it the other way around would make way more effort and seems illogical.)

that's the plan - every option of this pool is meant to be achievable via EET_Tweaks. The point of the pool is finding which options are preferred by most players and should be in default package without installing any other mods or components. Currently Minsc's racial enemy switch during transition option is leading in the poll which means less people would need to install anything in order to enjoy the game if it will be implemented this way (although it may still change considering there may be more people voting in future - no problem in adjusting it even post 1.0 release).

Archived