GUI freeze/error during character creation and some additonal minor issues

ckoe

Hello everybody,

I have been trying nightly builds gemrb-2015-11-3054bc943.tar.bz2 and gemrb-2016-03-07v0.8.4-32-gca57a58.tar.bz2 on ubuntu 14.04 with my modded Baldurs Gate Trilogy install.

The game starts fine, but during character generation the GUI freezes (ctrl-c still goes through) when trying to select a cleric as character class. This is related to the Divine Remix 7.1 mod, without the mod (which adds a bunch of cleric kits) the freeze does not happen. In the shell I get the following error message upon freeze:

[GUIScript/ERROR]: Syntax Error:
[Python/ERROR]: Traceback (most recent call last):
[Python/ERROR]: File "/tmp/iprefix/share/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg2/GUICG22.py", line 92, in OnLoad
[Python/ERROR]: KitWindow.CreateScrollBar(1000, 290, 50, 16, 220,"GUISCRCW")
[Python/ERROR]: File "/tmp/iprefix/share/gemrb/GUIScripts/CreateControlDecorators.py", line
41, in wrapper
[Python/ERROR]: return func(win, control, *args)
[Python/ERROR]: File "/tmp/iprefix/share/gemrb/GUIScripts/GUIClasses.py", line 100, in
CreateScrollBar
[Python/ERROR]: _GemRB.Window_CreateScrollBar(self.ID, control,*args)
[Python/ERROR]: AttributeError: ===== Window_CreateScrollBar =====

**Prototype:** GemRB.CreateScrollBar (WindowIndex, ControlID, x, y, w,h, ResRef)
**Metaclass Prototype:** CreateScrollBar (ControlID, x, y, w, h, ResRef)

**Description:** Creates and adds a new ScrollBar to a Window.

**Parameters:**
* WindowIndex - the window control
* ControlID - the id of the new control
* x, y - position * w - width
* h - height
* ResRef - the resref for the sprite set

**Return value:** ControlIndex

**See also:** [[guiscript:ScrollBar_SetDefaultScrollBar]],
[[guiscript:Control_AttachScrollBar]]

In the original game everything works, although menu space is nearly used up and one kit ("Holy Strategist of the Red Knight") has a very long string label. Not sure if the number of kits or the length of the strings is the problem for gemrb.

Second, I notice some pink frame/shadow around the paperdoll (inventory menu) in gemrb which is not there using the original. The paperdoll appears to be incorrectly centered. Also, during game there is a pink spot where the player character "touches" the ground which moves with the character. NSCs appear to be unaffected. I have no idea what could be responsible. Everything is fine using the original engine.

Finally, I would like to install rogue rebalancing (RR) in addition to Divine Remix and SCS. RR requires TobEx while SCS at least suggests it. Would that work with a current gemrb or are there known incompatibilites, i.e. not implemented essential TobEx features in gemrb ? I noticed there is some section devoted to this on the wiki, but I am unable to estimate if there is a "real world" impact.

Please let me know what additional information you might need to debug the freeze issue.

Thank you very much in advance !

Best Regards

Christof

Hello,

please let me know if i can do something more to help you debug this (although I am not a very technical user when it comes to these things).

I do not know what exactly RR needs, however it comes with its own tobex re-distributable runtime files, so it is sure a depencency. It adds a bunch of new kits, modifies various tables and HLAs. That is all I can say. The readme http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/readme_rr.html only mentions that TobEx was used to create it but no details. Probably I will simply have to try then.

Best Regards

Christof

gemrb/GUIScripts/CreateControlDecorators.py:25

change the 6 to 5. Or get the latest build.

There is still some scrolling problem for the extra kits, but this should allow you to continue. It can be tricky to display the rest, as you have to both select and scroll and bleargh. We have another control related regression here.

Hello,

yes in fact there is another mod which adds one more cleric kit. Sorry for the confusion, I forgot it. I will try a new binary build tomorrow.

For me this is not critical, I have the original game in a virtual machine. But it would be nice to be able to play it on a non-x86 architecture

(raspberry or similar, I think I saw reports that some people managed it).

Thank you very much !

Best Regards

Christof

Hello again,

I tested gemrb-2016-03-10v0.8.4-35-g8bffb56.tar.bz2 . With that the GUI error is gone, i can create a cleric character. However, after the final Accept in character generation (after which the game should load) I now get a segfault. Last few lines are below. Probably they will not yield a clue. If you give me some hints how to extract usable information I would try to do it.

Please note that this is _not_ quite the same Baldur's Gate installation used for the original report. I removed Jarls BGT Adventure Pack and added some NPC mods. Still, it works with the original game, i.e. you can walk around Candlekeep. I will preserve it now so that there is a reference point for the segfault.

I might also add that paperdolls are still off-set from their intended position (1pp mod is installed).

Best Regards

Christof

[Python]: DEBUG:GUICommonWindows.OpenPortraitWindow:NEEDCONTROLS ON

[Python]: AIPress: GS_PARTYAI was: 0 at toggle: 0

[ResourceManager/WARNING]: 'expmap.wmp' not found...

[ResourceManager]: Searching for 'guwbtp10'...

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guwbtp10.mos' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guiwdbut.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guibtact.2da' in 'GemRB Unhardcoded data'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guibtbut.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'stonweap.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'stonspel.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'stonitem.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'GUIW10.chu' in 'Override'.

[ResourceManager]: Searching for 'guwbtp20'...

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guwbtp20.mos' in 'chitin.key'.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guisvrb.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OK, I noticed you could run it under gdb in another thread. So here it is, I hope it is of some help.

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guisvrb.bam' in 'chitin.key'.

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

GemRB::TextArea::TextArea (this=0xc17090, frame=..., text=0x0, caps=0x0,

textcolor=..., initcolor=..., lowtextcolor=...)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/GUI/TextArea.cpp:53

53 /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/GUI/TextArea.cpp: No such file or directory.

(gdb) bt

#0 GemRB::TextArea::TextArea (this=0xc17090, frame=..., text=0x0, caps=0x0,

textcolor=..., initcolor=..., lowtextcolor=...)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/GUI/TextArea.cpp:53

#1 0x00000000005363f5 in GemRB::CHUImporter::GetWindow (this=0xa80bb0,

wid=)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/CHUImporter/CHUImporter.cpp:377

#2 0x000000000047ea0a in GemRB::Interface::LoadWindow (this=0x913e80,

WindowID=4) at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/Interface.cpp:2628

#3 0x000000000056a49f in GemRB_LoadWindow (args=)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/GUIScript/GUIScript.cpp:950

#4 0x00007ffff75e10d4 in PyEval_EvalFrameEx ()

from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so.1.0

#5 0x00007ffff75e1059 in PyEval_EvalFrameEx ()

#6 0x00007ffff75e254d in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()

#7 0x00007ffff76176d0 in ?? ()

#8 0x00007ffff7583d43 in PyObject_Call ()

#9 0x00007ffff75fc577 in PyEval_CallObjectWithKeywords ()

#10 0x0000000000552ff8 in GemRB::GUIScript::RunFunction (this=,

moduleName=, functionName=, pArgs=0x0,

report_error=)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/GUIScript/GUIScript.cpp:15869

#11 0x00000000005530de in GemRB::GUIScript::RunFunction (this=0x9ba820,

moduleName=0x5ce99c "MessageWindow", functionName=0x5cd54b "OnLoad",

report_error=true, intparam=)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/GUIScript/GUIScript.cpp:15887

#12 0x0000000000475b45 in GemRB::Interface::StartGameControl (this=0x913e80)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/Interface.cpp:490

#13 0x00000000004763d4 in GemRB::Interface::HandleFlags (this=0x913e80)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/Interface.cpp:632

#14 0x0000000000477e38 in GemRB::Interface::Main (this=0x913e80)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/core/Interface.cpp:983

#15 0x00000000004547f3 in main (argc=, argv=)

at /home/travis/build/gemrb/gemrb/gemrb/GemRB.cpp:100

Are you using some extra gui mod (ignoring widescreen)? Looks like one of its textarea controls has no (valid) font set.

1pp needs some systematic work to make it compatible with gemrb, since we have unhardcoded avatar information. Things work out of the box only for touched up animations (no id or type change).

Hello,

thank you for the hint.

I tested that because I had an extra mod (BG2-BIGGER-FONTS) installed which modifies some BAM's for a bigger fonts in the text window during game. As it turns out without the mod the games starts, with it it crashes. But I was under the impression that GemRB would use the systems TTF fonts ? So I had not suspected this. Some surprise there. The GUI itself is the BGT "Elminster wielding staff" one which I think is the default.

Just for reference, it is the mod available here http://www.shsforums.net/topic/52452-bigger-fonts-mod-for-baldurs-gate-2/ and according to the WeiDu log it just changes a single file.

I did not know that the paperdoll offset was a known problem. It is mainly a cosmetic thing of course and does not bother me really.

Thank you very much for your much appreciated help !

Best Regards

Christof

You can use TTF fonts if you want to, but then the font mod is useless. And it can be a challenge to find nice, thematic enough fonts.

That mod modifies the gui to use the new font, not replacing the original. It does it only for one size, but this wouldn't cause trouble. What does is that it uses a subdir (data/Fonts) for the new fonts. So if you install it back and move or link them into the main data dir (or set one of the CD paths to ...data/Fonts), the file should be found.

It's also true we should just default to some existing font when none is found, instead of crashing.

we now print an explicit warning and default to an existing font in such cases, so it shouldn't crash anymore, the log will be more useful and it will look odd ingame, so you'll definitely know something is amiss.

Archived