Refinements EE

Guest Morgoth

For rangers, what do you suggest me to make them more powerful? I mean which components in particular from which mod. new hla would be pretty welcome too.

Beside, do you have a separate hla mod for all classes that can be used in conjuction with refinements?

On 10/1/2021 at 12:09 AM, yota13 said:

What's the problem with adding an updated Russian translation?

Sorry! I hadn't logged into this mod's Github page in... years? And I did not realize there was a pull request. (If it makes you feel any better, a PR for the French translation has been waiting since 2017... :blush: )

Anyway, I've updated the mod to version 4.32 with the French and Russian translations, and better handling of the SPECIFIC.IDS table.

Guest Morgoth
On 3/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, Guest Ront said:

Can't you add new abilities? For ranger it would be cool if their activable ability turned into a passive ability and if you could add an improved favoured enemy (even better thaco and dps)+ you could choose another favoured enemy.

Was checking this topic and this seems like a good idea to buff a bit ranger - there is currently no reason to play them; but if they add at least a decent passive and these two new abilities I think it would turn out great.

Any possibility for something like that? If not, I will just play other classes ..

On 7/21/2022 at 7:53 AM, Guest Morgoth said:

Was checking this topic and this seems like a good idea to buff a bit ranger - there is currently no reason to play them; but if they add at least a decent passive and these two new abilities I think it would turn out great.

Any possibility for something like that? If not, I will just play other classes ..

The Artisan released recently a new version of his Kitpacs, with a ranger overhaul: https://artisans-corner.com/the-artisans-kitpack/

i didn't make any of the HLAs here, and I don't plan to I only made Refinements compatible with the EE games, and updated some of the mod's structural underpinnings (use op319+Specifics value instead of shadow kits for Use Scrolls, in the EEs, and use my ADD_HLA functions instead of overwriting tables).

If the Refinements authors want to come out of retirement and make more HLAs, that would be lovely and I would be happy to help get everything integrated with the EEs and old engine. But failing that, the HLAs in this mod. are the HLAs in this mod, end of story. If another mod wants to add Ranger HLAs, that would also be fine - this one is now easily compatible thanks to those ADD_HLA functions.

(There are a bunch of Ranger overhauls out there... Might & Guile has an "Improved Rangers" component that seems similar to the Artisan Overhaul, and I think someone else did one recently? Morpheus? They all seem to involve use of the Tracking ability earlier, and some kind of movement speed bonus. And there is that Animal Companion mod. But I don't know if any of them add any HLAs to rangers.)

If you have ideas for ranger HLAs... suggest them! Maybe I could add something to MnG's Improved Rangers.

Refinements and The Wizard Slayer Rebalancing :

The component "200 - Wizard Slayer High Level Ability revision - Moved after Refinements" from the WSR mod replaces (overwrites) two HLAs :

• Reflect Magic (replaces Resist Magic)
  • Arcane Bane (replaces War Cry)

Just for confirmation : Does the recommandation to install this component after Refinements EE is still relevant ?

1 hour ago, Guest Morgoth said:

Can you consider adding an ini option to make it possible to not lose Use any item when installing refinements? Without having to skip on Thieves stuff.

No.

If you want modded thief HLAs but you want to keep vanilla UAI, then:

1. Install Rogue Rebalancing thief HLAs
  2. Install Refinements HLAs for every class except thieves.

This is basically the entire reason I put a ton of effort into redesigning the install sequence to make it possible to revised HLAs on a class-by-class basis. The new install options are your .ini option.

I don't think they even add anything to each other...?

• Rogue Rebalancing has "Crippling Strike" and retains vanilla UAI
  • Refinements has "Cripple" and changes UAI to UMD.

So installing both doesn't get you a soup, it just gives you both Crippling Strike and Cripple. (And it might not even do that - you might end up with just one of them.)

As has been said elsewhere, RR and Refinements borrowed a lot from each other with regard to thief HLAs, and basically give you two slightly different versions of what is largely the same HLA table. So, decide which version you prefer, and install that mod.

If you want to add more to the "soup," then you need to find other thief HLA mods. (And I'm not even sure there are any.)

Guest Morgoth
On 10/20/2022 at 12:04 AM, subtledoctor said:

I don't think they even add anything to each other...?

• Rogue Rebalancing has "Crippling Strike" and retains vanilla UAI
  • Refinements has "Cripple" and changes UAI to UMD.

So installing both doesn't get you a soup, it just gives you both Crippling Strike and Cripple. (And it might not even do that - you might end up with just one of them.)

As has been said elsewhere, RR and Refinements borrowed a lot from each other with regard to thief HLAs, and basically give you two slightly different versions of what is largely the same HLA table. So, decide which version you prefer, and install that mod.

If you want to add more to the "soup," then you need to find other thief HLA mods. (And I'm not even sure there are any.)

you are right. Turns out I wasted your time needlessly. I apologize.

I'm thinking about going back to using opcode 181 for the EE Use Scrolls ability... I tried it before and it was not perfect, but I have a better version working now. It's the tiniest bit hacky... but probably in a way that nobody will ever notice. And would be more broadly compatible than using SPECIFIC values and opcode 319...