Refinements EE

1 hour ago, Guest Raelis said:

I seem to have read somewhere there was a bug if you installed the revised HLA singularly, rather than everything at once. Do I remember wrong?

It's been solved.  I'm not aware of any remaining bugs along those lines.

(The only issue I'm aware of at the moment is: I need to look at how these HLAs work depending on whether the player sets their HLAs to be spellbook spells vs. innate abilities.  It's been in the back of my head for a long time but I haven't heard any complaints from users, and it's been working well for me. Plus, you know, RL issues have kept me from putting much time into this stuff.

The long and the short of it is, apart from a few fixes I've made, the individual abilities work exactly as they did in v3.31. Everyone has always seemed happy with them so I have not messed with them.)

(EDIT - the only other thing I want to look into is trying to improve SCS compatibility, seeing as the latest versions of SCS do not include overt changes taking Refinements into account.)

Can't you add new abilities? For ranger it would be cool if their activable ability turned into a passive ability and if you could add an improved favoured enemy (even better thaco and dps)+ you could choose another favoured enemy.

1 hour ago, Guest Ront said:

+ you could choose another favoured enemy.

This can't REALLY be done, see the variable can have only one value(.cre offset 0x0241).

Now, the EEex could...

...add the ability to modify that, but this ability like this would overwrite the one before. Now, one could allow a usage of a spell, that makes that overwrite a feature, and so you could pick a new favorite enemy after a rest.

But that's behind a request, and the usage of EEex..

Updated to version 4.29.

This is largely a compatibility update to keep everything on the same page among the various mods I've worked on. If you use/plan to use any of the following, I recommend you update them all together to the latest versions:

Guest Morgoth

Hello,

1) How do I make refinements not remove use any item hla? Is there a way at all?

2) is there any easy way to make the ranger hla endurance a passive rather than an activeable?

3) have you thought about reworking the hla improved ambidexterity? Two thaco for a hla seems a meager trade. Should gain probably an apr at least, when using double weapons..

4) would it be ppssible to be able to pick  a new favoured enemy as hla, coupled with the racial nemesis hla ?

On 5/4/2021 at 4:55 AM, Guest Morgoth said:

1) How do I make refinements not remove use any item hla? Is there a way at all?

Install HLAs on a class-by-class basis, and skip the thief HLAs. Install thief HLAs from Rogue Rebalancing instead. This sort of thing is very much the kind of reason I made this 4th version of the mod.

Alternatively, you could go into the mod's weidu script and excise the stuff relating to Use Any Item... but I don't recommend that unless it's something you are already familiar with.

Just use the RR thief HLAs instead of these. In fact I tend to think of it a different way - RR is my default option.  Instead of thinking "Refinements for HLAs, but use RR for thieves in order to preserve UAI," the way I consider it is: "RR for thief HLAs, and only add Refinements' thief HLAs if you want to get rid of UAI."

2) is there any easy way to make the ranger hla endurance a passive rather than an activeable?

You could make a new spell, a permanent passive version, in Near Infinity or DLTCEP, and give it the same filename and then drop it into /override. But, again, this is not something the average person is adept at.

3) have you thought about reworking the hla improved ambidexterity? Two thaco for a hla seems a meager trade. Should gain probably an apr at least, when using double weapons..

I personally agree, but that HLA was the creation of a different modder and I won't eliminate their work.  This mod is really beyond the point of adding new features... there are plenty of new mods being made, this sort of thing is best left for a new project.

4) would it be ppssible to be able to pick  a new favoured enemy as hla, coupled with the racial nemesis hla ?

Not in a satisfactory way - i.e. you could give bonuses against this or that creature type(s), but it would not show up on the record sheet the way the vanilla favored enemy does. The vanilla favored enemy mechanic is very hard-coded, and not very amenable to modding. Best thing to do IMHO is to rip it out completely and re-create it in a more modular fashion. (Which, incidentally, is what one of my other mods does.)

Edited by subtledoctor
Guest Morgoth

Thanks for the extensive reply. I hope you will find the time to make an addon fixing the flaws I've talked about even if I realize you've got a lot to do on your plate. Good modding!

Hello,
1) have you given a thought about actually splitting thieves HLA from the rest of HLA, rather than making the player install them singularly? Nitpicking, I know. 😛
2) I saw your tweaks and I was wondering if you could consider adding some of the things I've asked in this topic. I know you don't have a lot of time and you would rather focus on other stuff, but please consider it.
3)You say "The vanilla favored enemy mechanic is very hard-coded, and not very amenable to modding". Could Eex provide a satisfactory way to make it possible?