Chapter and Journal Continuity in EET

Roxanne

that's the way it works in vanilla BG:EE+SoD where BDBANTER.2DA is referenced in CAMPAIGN.2DA but the file doesn't exist which mean none of the vanilla NPCs have banter file assigned during SoD.

That was also my understanding. Just need to check if this may have side effects.

In SoD we have Global("EndofBG1","Global",1) + DV same as in BG1. This may trigger banters with NPCs you did not have during BG1. In my tests, when Imoen was in the final party against Sarevok, then Safana replaces her at SoD start,

If we have something like (simplified, of course we will not use such crap code really)

IF

!Global("EndofBG1","Global",2)

InParty("Safana")

Global("Safbanter","LOCALS",0)

SomeOtherCondition

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("Safbanter","LOCALS",1)

Interact("Safana")

END

It could trigger a banter with Safana which finds no dlg (>>> stuttering) UNLESS SomeOtherCondition is such that it prevents the block to happen in SoD. Same applies for just a handful of other NPCs (Edwin, Minsc, Viconia etc)

Need to check if such cases exist or are just hypothetical.

for vanilla BG:EE if such situations exist than those would be bugs that need to be reported to Beamdog, since as I said that's how it works there. But when I now think about it - is there any disadvantage in just assigning BG:EE banter files to BDBANTER.2DA? In such case BG1NPC Project banters would continue triggering during SoD (well, for most NPCs just Korlasz Tomb) etc. Considering Beamdog didn't referenced any files for SoD banter it will be wild west when it comes to mods, since there is no common approach for this. It would be best if BG1NPC Project mod would handle the stuff related to not existing BDBANTER.2DA entries since it affects them the most. In such case we would adopt the same solution, even if someone didn't install this mod with EET.

for vanilla BG:EE if such situations exists than those would be bugs that need to be reported to Beamdog, since as I said that's how it works there. But when I now think about it - is there any disadvantage in just assigning BG:EE banter files to BDBANTER.2DA? In such case BG1NPC Project banters would continue triggering during SoD etc. Considering Beamdog didn't referenced any files for SoD banter it will be wild west when it comes to mods, since there is no common approach for this. It would be best if BGNPCproject mod would handle the stuff related to not existing BDBANTER.2DA entries since it affects them the most. In such case we would adopt the same solution, even if someone didn't install this mod with EET.

The issue I would see is that those banters contents-wise do not take the post-Sarevok/pre-SoA situation into account. You may get pretty odd statements from your NPCs (especially Dynaheir, whose banters are related to the PC being potential bhaalspawn etc). My current approach (for the Sandrah mod at least) is to adjust my triggers for stuff not to happen out of place and then use the joined file for the interactions I have during the SoD campaign.

For mod NPCs it would be up to the modder to either continue by adding their banter file to BDBANTER.2DA or define a new one for that portion.

As for BG1NPCs - I have not yet taken any of those through SoD myself, I focussed on the new ones and otherwise negleted ones (Safana, Jaheira).

For BG1NPC, I'm looking at using the fact that %BGT_VAR% already exists in all the dialogs and scripts to block BG1NPC content in SoD. For BGT, this variable is defined as ~!Global("endofbg1","GLOBAL",2)~, and for Tutu (and BGEE currently), it is blank.

Since EET is apparently looking to set "EndofBG1" to 1 during SoD. I can define %BGT_VAR% for BGEE as ~GlobalLT("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",1)~. That way BG1NPC content would be blocked under SoD (either for a vanilla BGEE+SoD install or EET).

As far as setting BDBANTER.2DA, there are no plans to extend BG1NPC's content into SoD. So, I don't know that BG1NPC is the place to create a solution for BDBANTER.2DA. However, I do see the advantage of establishing a default naming convention for these banter files to avoid issues. Perhaps a convention of replacing the "J" from the BD*J.DLG file with "B"? If Beamdog has no plans for such files, it shouldn't cause any problems.

2DA              V1.0
              FILE
KIVAN         BDKIVANB
ALORA         BDALORAB
MINSC         BDMINSCB
DYNAHEIR      BDDYNAHB
YESLICK       BDYESLIB
CORAN         BDCORANB
AJANTIS       BDAJANTB
KHALID        BDKHALIB
JAHEIRA       BDJAHEIB
GARRICK       BDGARRIB
SAFANA        BDSAFANB
FALDORN       BDFALDOB
BRANWEN       BDBRANWB
QUAYLE        BDQUAYLB
XAN           BDXANB
SKIE          BDSKIEB
ELDOTH        BDELDOTB
XZAR          BDXZARB
MONTARON      BDMONTAB
TIAX          BDTIAXB
KAGAIN        BDKAGAIB
SHARTEEL      BDSHARTB
EDWIN         BDEDWINB
VICONIA       BDVICONB
IMOEN         BDIMOENB
NEERA         BDNEERAB
DORN          BDDORNB
RASAAD        BDRASAAB 
BAELOTH       BDBAELOB
VOGHILN       BDVOGHIB
MKHIIN        BDMKHIIB
CORWIN        BDCORWIB
GLINT	      BDGLINTB

For BG1NPC, I'm looking at using the fact that %BGT_VAR% already exists in all the dialogs and scripts to block BG1NPC content in SoD. For BGT, this variable is defined as ~!Global("endofbg1","GLOBAL",2)~, and for Tutu (and BGEE currently), it is blank.

Since EET is apparently looking to set "EndofBG1" to 1 during SoD. I can define %BGT_VAR% for BGEE as ~GlobalLT("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",1)~. That way BG1NPC content would be blocked under SoD (either for a vanilla BGEE+SoD install or EET).

As far as setting BDBANTER.2DA, there are no plans to extend BG1NPC's content into SoD. So, I don't know that BG1NPC is the place to create a solution for BDBANTER.2DA. However, I do see the advantage of establishing a default naming convention for these banter files to avoid issues. Perhaps a convention of replacing the "J" from the BD*J.DLG file with "B"? If Beamdog has no plans for such files, it shouldn't cause any problems.

2DA              V1.0
              FILE
KIVAN         BDKIVANB
ALORA         BDALORAB
MINSC         BDMINSCB
DYNAHEIR      BDDYNAHB
YESLICK       BDYESLIB
CORAN         BDCORANB
AJANTIS       BDAJANTB
KHALID        BDKHALIB
JAHEIRA       BDJAHEIB
GARRICK       BDGARRIB
SAFANA        BDSAFANB
FALDORN       BDFALDOB
BRANWEN       BDBRANWB
QUAYLE        BDQUAYLB
XAN           BDXANB
SKIE          BDSKIEB
ELDOTH        BDELDOTB
XZAR          BDXZARB
MONTARON      BDMONTAB
TIAX          BDTIAXB
KAGAIN        BDKAGAIB
SHARTEEL      BDSHARTB
EDWIN         BDEDWINB
VICONIA       BDVICONB
IMOEN         BDIMOENB
NEERA         BDNEERAB
DORN          BDDORNB
RASAAD        BDRASAAB 
BAELOTH       BDBAELOB
VOGHILN       BDVOGHIB
MKHIIN        BDMKHIIB
CORWIN        BDCORWIB
GLINT	      BDGLINTB

My EET BDBanter.2da has these entries

AERIE BAERIE

ANOMEN BANOMEN

CERND BCERND

HAERDALIS BHAERDA

JAN BJAN

KELDORN BKELDOR

KORGAN BKORGAN

MAZZY BMAZZY

NALIA BNALIA

VALYGAR BVALYGA

YOSHIMO BYOSHIM

SAREVOK NONE

HEXXAT BHEXXAT

DSBARDO BBARDO

DSBUB BBUB

CONCHOBHAIR BCONCHO

CUCHOINNEACH BCUCHOI

FERTHGIL BFERTHG

JETLAYA BJETLA

KEIRIA BKEIRIA

SKEEZER BSKEEZE

THORFINN BTHORF

L#Fou L#FouB

rh#isra2 brh#isr

All other NPCs have ***

Not that it matters, as you can see most of them are BG2 NPCs that will not even appear during SoD while others (DSotSC) do not even have any banter dialogues, I have not investigated what creates those entries but obviously it is irrelevant anyway.

Using GlobalLT("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",1) seems to be the best solution for existing mods, see our earlier discussion http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27913&page=2&do=findComment&comment=244942 and tthe fact that now Global("EndofBG1","GLOBAL",1) is used in EET fo SoD,

I was more thinking if someone wanted to add banter dialogs in SoD for BG1 or SoD NPCs, e.g., Jaheira or Glint. They are currently *** in EET (and non-existent in vanilla BG+SoD), so there is a community interest in establishing a standard, but a thread on Journal Continuity in EET is not the place for such a discussion. ;-)

Great news. Indeed EET uses BGT system here (endofbg1 set to 1 right after killing Sarevok and 2 at the beginning of BG2)

I'm going to replace *** entries for vanilla NPCs with these names for the next RC and add blank dialogue files if not existing yet (of course if some mod changes them in original BDDIALOG.2DA than EET won't touch such entry). Sounds like a reasonable approach.

but a thread on Journal Continuity in EET is not the place for such a discussion. ;-)

agreed.

Hi, as a simple player I have a question about Journal Continuity in EET.

I have started a playthrough (with no mods, only EET) and at the beginning of the Chapter 1, the Prologue disappear from my Journal : the Journal start at Chapter 1 and impossible to check the Prologue.

I tried with BG EE vanilla and the Prologue is still in the Journal at the start of Chapter 1.

In the same time, the game create automatically a save every Chapter, Prologue included. In vanilla EE for the Prologue it is named "Prologue Start", for the first Chapter "Chapter 1 Start". In my EET the Prologue automatic save is named "Chapter 1 Start", and for the first Chapter "Chapter 2 Start".

Is it the normal behaviour or a known bug ? I tried to uninstall BG2EE and reinstall it with EET but nothing has changed.

Please forgive me for my low english level.

Hi, as a simple player I have a question about Journal Continuity in EET.

I have started a playthrough (with no mods, only EET) and at the beginning of the Chapter 1, the Prologue disappear from my Journal : the Journal start at Chapter 1 and impossible to check the Prologue.

I tried with BG EE vanilla and the Prologue is still in the Journal at the start of Chapter 1.

In the same time, the game create automatically a save every Chapter, Prologue included. In vanilla EE for the Prologue it is named "Prologue Start", for the first Chapter "Chapter 1 Start". In my EET the Prologue automatic save is named "Chapter 1 Start", and for the first Chapter "Chapter 2 Start".

Is it the normal behaviour or a known bug ? I tried to uninstall BG2EE and reinstall it with EET but nothing has changed.

Please forgive me for my low english level.

which version? There was a problem in UTIL.LUA function that replaced prologue with chapter 1 (default BG2:EE code that had to be replaced with BG:EE variant) but this should be already fixed in RC7.1.

Oh... Right... Sorry I used indeed a RC7.0 version. Thanks for your help, I have uninstalled everything and do it again with RC7.1b and now the Prologue (quests done or not) appear in the journal after Chapter 1.

However the automatic save still jump a chapter (Prologue save is Chapter 1 Start, Chapter 1 save is Chapter 2 Start...) but I don't think it's a problem. I was just afraid to lose the historic of a Chapter each time I finish it.

However the automatic save still jump a chapter (Prologue save is Chapter 1 Start, Chapter 1 save is Chapter 2 Start...) but I don't think it's a problem. I was just afraid to lose the historic of a Chapter each time I finish it.

indeed, and that's a bug. Will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for reporting.

indeed, and that's a bug. Will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for reporting.

While you are at it:

when you select *save game* the screen with all your saves comes up okay. When you select a game to overwrite it, the preview always shows you some weird date and time. This is just a display thing as all the saves have the correct values, it may though irritate some users (happens with both GUIs in EET)

fix for this issue is attached to this post. Just extract the file to Override.

SAVENAME.zip

While you are at it:

when you select *save game* the screen with all your saves comes up okay. When you select a game to overwrite it, the preview always shows you some weird date and time. This is just a display thing as all the saves have the correct values, it may though irritate some users (happens with both GUIs in EET)

.attachicon.gifsavescreen1.bmp

attachicon.gifsavescreen2.bmp

from what I see same is true in vanilla BG2:EE. We're not fixing GUI bugs in EET (I don't know how to do it either way. GUI seems to be using gameSaves.currentGameInfo.time command for it), so you should check if it has been reported on Beamdog redmine. If no than please make a report there using screens made on vanilla game without mods.

While you are at it:

.attachicon.gifsavescreen1.bmp

attachicon.gifsavescreen2.bmp

from what I see same is true in vanilla BG2:EE. We're not fixing GUI bugs in EET (I don't know how to do it either way. GUI seems to be using gameSaves.currentGameInfo.time command for it), so you should check if it has been reported on Beamdog redmine. If no than please make a report there using screens made on vanilla game without mods.

Understood - I never use vanilla, so I did not know. Anyway, it is just cosmetic.

Archived