Big sale on the EEs at GOG... but, read this post

Just want to issue an alert to anyone that has not stepped up to the EEs, that GOG is having a big sale right now:

BGEE: $5

BG2EE: $8

IWDEE: $8

That is GREAT value. Even if you prefer BGT, if you ever though about getting the EEs just to check them out, or to have them to help in developing a mod, etc., this is a good time to grab them.

HOWEVER. There is a small issue. If you get BGEE from GOG, you will get version 2.0. While 2.0 has issues, like the polarizing UI, it is also a huge step forward in moddability. (And the UI is much more moddable.)

BUT SoD FROM GOG IS *NOT* MODDABLE. Not right now. The DLC is delivered in a format that breaks apart chitin.key and dialog.tlk and prevents Weidu from working. I expect this will be fixed in the coming days, but right now you can't mod SoD from GOG. You CAN mod SoD from Beamdog. And, you have to get SoD from the same place you buy BGEE from. So, here is the situation:

Beamdog BGEE: EDIT, $5, moddable, and SoD is also moddable <-- DO THIS

GOG BGEE: $5, moddable, but SoD is not moddable

GOG BG2EE: $8, moddable

GOG IWDEE: $8, moddable

This has been a public service announcement from Dunis Scot, the Subtle Doctor. You may not go back to what you were doing.

Honestly, if you set aside aesthetic issues (they changed a bunch of UI stuff, people aren't used to it, now the internet must burn) and the GOG/Steam DLC issues (GOG and Steam use a stupid method to add the DLC)... from a modder's perspective the 2.0 update is really really great.

- kitted multiclass with custom HLAs don't crash the game

- a million other things that used to cause assertion errors, now d not crash the game

- you can properly do KR-style auras for allies

- you can implement Refinements Use Scrolls HLA without using COPY_KIT 300 times (I already updated it)

- there are scroll bars for kit selection and K_M_H.2da files for wizards, so... hello mage kits!

I could put a hundred things on this list. I wouldn't use the EEs for a long time, but I'm very happy with the state of them now. To the point that any future mods I make will probably be 2.0-only. Working with those resources is just ten times better.

Anyway, I didn't post this to say everyone should use the EEs. Just to say, here's a way to save some money, but be alert to this one stupid DLC issue (which I expect will be solved in a couple weeks).

Don't get me wrong; I like most of the changes and care about GUI/fonts none (afaik it's moddable so who cares what they've done with it, somebody will make it look better eventually).

What does bother me is that the same game works differently depending on who you bought it from. Now people buying from GoG get the sh**t end of the stick; since they're stuck with vanilla. Until this gets fixed, which may be (or not) few weeks from now.

All I'm waiting for now is

a) bug reports

b) lag reports

If the game lags just as the last patch with ADHW/Telly Field animations, they may as well offer source code for adoption, I won't be playing it.

BUT SoD FROM GOG IS *NOT* MODDABLE. Not right now. The DLC is delivered in a format that breaks apart chitin.key and dialog.tlk and prevents Weidu from working.

Are you absolutely sure ? What about if you extract the zip file, rename the "mod.key" as "chitin.key" and then just go at it as if it were the chitin.key from BG1EE ? Weidu.exe might need an update for this to work in the regular way, but I see no real big difference in any of this.

By the way, the Shaman looks nice, a Druidic-Sorcerer with an axe. Only learning a spell when leveling up, but just like the Sorcerer can cast any of the same level ones, and druidic dance which has a chance to summon allies that disappear when you stop. Went with an Half-Orc of course, and Minsc like voice. :devlook:

BUT SoD FROM GOG IS *NOT* MODDABLE. Not right now. The DLC is delivered in a format that breaks apart chitin.key and dialog.tlk and prevents Weidu from working.

Are you absolutely sure ? What about if you extract the zip file, rename the "mod.key" as "chitin.key" and then just go at it as if it were the chitin.key from BG1EE ? Weidu.exe might need an update for this to work in the regular way, but I see no real big difference in any of this.

By the way, the Shaman looks nice, a Druidic-Sorcerer with an axe. Only learning a spell when leveling up, but just like the Sorcerer can cast any of the same level ones, and druidic dance which has a chance to summon allies that disappear when you stop. Went with an Half-Orc of course, and Minsc like voice. :devlook:

According to CamDawg, the mod.key is only for the resources in the DLC zip file. So you can't just replace chitin.key with mod.key.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/731882/#Comment_731882

Argent77 has come up with a procedure to extract the SoD content, but it's not for the faint of heart.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/732373/#Comment_732373

Wisp has said that WeiDU will not be able to support the DLC zip file directly. A mod will be needed to extract the SoD DLC first.

So you can't just replace chitin.key with mod.key.

??? Wha ? So you can't rename a file, in a new folder ? What's so hard about that ? Cause that's what we are talking about this. It's shockingly obvious.

You extract the content of the file:

2ironma.jpg

Into a NEW folder ! And then rename a file in it.. plah plah... you don't ever overwrite anything in the here <BG1EE>/dlc/sod-dlc/ because you can keep everything in BG1EE/dlc/sod-dlc/<override> here.

Wha ? So you can't rename a file, in a new folder ? What's so hard about that ? Cause that's what we are talking about this. It's shockingly obvious.

mod.key does not contain and information about any non-SoD assets. And chitin.key does not contain any information about SoD assets. So you cannot just rename and replace one with the other. Either way you end up with a partially non-functioning game.

mod.key does not contain and information about any non-SoD assets.

But you have folders structures between the files... you don't need to assess the other part of the game during installation of a mod to a part of a game, do you ? Aka, if you wish to give a +1 ring a double + effect, you do the thing normally in the BG1EE game, and write the file into: BGEE/override/*.itm - folder, then if you have the same item in the SoD game, you extract the archive(.zip file) into BGEE/dlc/sod-dlc/- files, then rename the mod.key in that folder as chitin.key, edit the file in the file structure you construct this way and save it as BGEE/dlc/sod-dlc/override/*.itm, with weidu.exe, or Near Infinity or what ever and after you have done that, you can happily rename the renamed chitin.key as the mod.key, repackage the archive and move on to play the game. And delete the extracted files ... as you have everything in the new .zip file from then on out.

Now of course you can then make a mod that copies the resources over to the BG2EE folder and adjust everything so it all fits, but that's EET, not a Faiths & Panties... :devlook: So what ever it does, itself needs to do the major part of the work.

mod.key does not contain and information about any non-SoD assets.

But you have folders structures between the files... you don't need to assess the other part of the game during installation of a mod to a part of a game, do you ?Aka, if you wish to give a +1 ring a double + effect, you do the thing normally in the BG1EE game, and write the file into: BGEE/override/*.itm - folder, then if you have the same item in the SoD game, you extract the archive(.zip file) into BGEE/dlc/sod-dlc/- files, then rename the mod.key in that folder as chitin.key, edit the file in the file structure you construct this way and save it as BGEE/dlc/sod-dlc/override/*.itm, with weidu.exe, or Near Infinity or what ever and after you have done that, you can happily rename the renamed chitin.key as the mod.key, repackage the archive and move on to play the game. And delete the extracted files ... as you have everything in the new .zip file from then on out.

Sure YOU can do all of this and even follow Argent77's 12or so-step workaround etc.

But most people just want to play the new game and get their favorite mod (e.g.BG1NPC or something) working with it and then take their party to the SoD and have their fun...without needing to hack their whole brandnew game for hours even if they could - and it is because this expectation of v2.0 was fuelled for months now.

Archived