EET v13.4 released

So.....i wont ask for a release date cause i know i'll get the when it's done answer... :) But can i ask what else needs to be done to get us there? I been waiting literally since BGEE1 came out to start a trilogy playthrough. But i don't wanna until EET is fully ready.

Is it a matter of bug fixing still? Or waiting for other modders to make their mods compatible with EET?

I wanna start my playthrough so bad. :evilplan:

EET is fully playable with already significant number of mods compatible. (Number of mods growing weekly).

The mod compatibility list here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741 on the forum is a little out of date (not updated since a few weeks now) but there is now BWS support for install. Using BWS avoids looking for the right mod versions, also it patches those mods that need a patch for EET and it automatically puts the right mods into the right part of the game. Another benefit of BWS is that it has a tested install order to avoid issues from mods that have dependencies.

See here for latest facts http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=33&do=findComment&comment=248962

omg it's BWS ready now?!?!? I'm in heaven lol been waiting so long for this! :)

So.....i wont ask for a release date cause i know i'll get the when it's done answer... :) But can i ask what else needs to be done to get us there? I been waiting literally since BGEE1 came out to start a trilogy playthrough. But i don't wanna until EET is fully ready.

Is it a matter of bug fixing still? Or waiting for other modders to make their mods compatible with EET?

I wanna start my playthrough so bad. :evilplan:

EET is fully playable with already significant number of mods compatible. (Number of mods growing weekly).

The mod compatibility list here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741 on the forum is a little out of date (not updated since a few weeks now) but there is now BWS support for install. Using BWS avoids looking for the right mod versions, also it patches those mods that need a patch for EET and it automatically puts the right mods into the right part of the game. Another benefit of BWS is that it has a tested install order to avoid issues from mods that have dependencies.

See here for latest facts http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=33&do=findComment&comment=248962

omg it's BWS ready now?!?!? I'm in heaven lol been waiting so long for this! :)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version: https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

After automatic BWS installation with mod list based on "Tactical" selection my EET game freezes and eventually crashes when I try to enter worldmap screen.

At first I thought that it is fault of BP-BGT Worldmap or Borderless Screen Worldmap, but after new installation without those mods the game still keeps freezing on worldmap.

Any idea what mod could cause this ?

WeiDU-BGEE.log

WeiDU.log

Edited by Aramil

After automatic BWS installation with mod list based on "Tactical" selection my EET game freezes and eventually crashes when I try to enter worldmap screen.

At first I thought that it is fault of BP-BGT Worldmap or Borderless Screen Worldmap, but after new installation without those mods the game still keeps freezing on worldmap.

Any idea what mod could cause this ?

attachicon.gifWeiDU-BGEE.log

attachicon.gifWeiDU.log

Is this even compatible with EET?

BG_TRAVEL/SETUP-BG_TRAVEL.TP2

A crash on the worldmap that isn't dependent on the worldmap mod sounds like either a UI issue or a text issue (maybe a mod that adds a worldmap icon is using text that is not properly converted to UTF-8 encoding).

As a simple test, we can try replacing your worldmap file with one that is working in another game (my current EET install) and see if you crash when entering the worldmap after starting a new game.

You must start a new game because the worldmap.wmp from override folder gets copied into your save game and the copy is used from then on. The strings on my map will probably look like random text to you, but that's OK. The only question is whether it avoids the crash.

If it still crashes with my worldmap.wmp, I would next try a worldmap without any mod icons. If that still crashes, we need to look at UI problems. If it doesn't crash, we can look at your mods' added worldmap text.

Attached is my worldmap.wmp for you to place in your override folder. Before overwriting it, please upload your current worldmap.wmp here so I can look at that too.

worldmap.7z

Is this even compatible with EET?

BG_TRAVEL/SETUP-BG_TRAVEL.TP2

According to Mod Compatibility List for EET and BWS it should be.

A crash on the worldmap that isn't dependent on the worldmap mod sounds like either a UI issue or a text issue (maybe a mod that adds a worldmap icon is using text that is not properly converted to UTF-8 encoding).

As a simple test, we can try replacing your worldmap file with one that is working in another game (my current EET install) and see if you crash when entering the worldmap after starting a new game.

You must start a new game because the worldmap.wmp from override folder gets copied into your save game and the copy is used from then on. The strings on my map will probably look like random text to you, but that's OK. The only question is whether it avoids the crash.

If it still crashes with my worldmap.wmp, I would next try a worldmap without any mod icons. If that still crashes, we need to look at UI problems. If it doesn't crash, we can look at your mods' added worldmap text.

Attached is my worldmap.wmp for you to place in your override folder. Before overwriting it, please upload your current worldmap.wmp here so I can look at that too.

It still crashes after overwriting worldmap.wmp file :(

My previous worldmap file:

worldmap.7z

Edited by Aramil

I used your worldmap file and created a new ToB game and opened the worldmap without crashing. That causes a crash for you, correct?

Attached is the default EET worldmap.wmp file, with no mod icons added. Please try this too (again, start a new game after placing it in override).

WORLDMAP.7z

Edited by agb1

OK, that proves it's not a UI issue (which isn't surprising, you barely have any UI changes installed). Now comes the slower part - finding which mod added the worldmap icon that's causing you to crash.

If you do a search in your game folder for worldmap.wmp, you will find copies in lots of different mods' "backup" folders. Those copies of worldmap.wmp are "before" versions (therefore backup) that the mod saved before it patched the worldmap to add its custom icon(s).

You can find out the order that the mods changed the worldmap by typing this in a command prompt window (press windows key + R and then type "cmd" and hit enter, then "cd path/to/eetfolder" and then "driveletter:"):

WINDOWS + R KEY

cmd

cd E:\GOG\EET

E:

weidu.exe --log nul --change-log worldmap.wmp

CD = change directory

driveletter: tells it you really do want it to switch to your game folder, if you keep your game on a different disk

Once you have the list, first take the worldmap.wmp from the backup of the top (earliest) mod on the list and put it in your override. Confirm no crash there by starting a new game (we expect before any mods touched it, the worldmap was good).

Then take the worldmap.wmp from the backup of the mod in the middle of the list. Put it in your override. Create a new game and check the worldmap. If that causes a crash, you know the problem mod is earlier than that, and somewhere in the top half of the list. Take the backup from the mod half-way up the list from there and try again.

Repeat this process of testing backup worldmap.wmp files, jumping up or down the remaining list by halves until you narrow it down to one mod's backup that works and the following mod's backup that doesn't. The backup LOWEST on the list that still works for you will be in the mod folder of the mod that's causing the problem (because the next mod's backup is the after-current-mod's patched version).

Once we know the mod responsible, we can look at the text it is using for the icon name or tooltip. My guess is that the crash is because that text is not UTF-8 encoded. I notice you are using non-English translations, which is usually where encoding problems arise.

Edited by agb1

So I just spent the day learning how to use the BWS tool to install EET. I am extremely impressed! I did run into an error involving the Sandrah mod, which I posted on that mod's support forums. That was the only error and the entire process was otherwise incredibly smooth -- especially when you consider the extreme complexity of combining all the games plus the slew of "mega" mods required for Sandrah.

Kudos to all! The BWS is a freakin' revelation in mod installation. Oce I get that error solved, I'll be ready to play :)

As discussed on SHS, that error was due to having installed Gavin component 0 without Gavin component 1. Roxanne might make the installation code more robust, but you can already avoid the error on your next installation by either selecting more components of the Gavin mod or by not selecting any components of the Gavin mod.

Mods affecting WORLDMAP.WMP:

00000: ~DSOTSC/DSOTSC.TP2~ 0 0 // Dark Side of the Sword Coast (DSotSC): v3.0
00001: ~TDDZ/SETUP-TDDZ.TP2~ 2 0 // TDD - Core: v1.2
00002: ~REUNION/SETUP-REUNION.TP2~ 0 0 // The Reunion mod for Baldur's Gate II: v1 BWP Fix
00003: ~TOTDG/SETUP-TOTDG.TP2~ 3 0 // Colours of Infinity: Tales of the Deep Gardens: 10.1 BWP Fix
00004: ~INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2~ 2 0 // Colours of Infinity: Innershade: 7.2 BWP Fix
00005: ~WHITEQUEEN/WHITEQUEEN.TP2~ 3 0 // Colours of Infinity - The White Queen: 4.1 BWP Fix
00006: ~EILISTRAEE/SETUP-EILISTRAEE.TP2~ 0 0 // Eilistraee's Song: 3.4 BWP Fix
00007: ~FISHINGFORTROUBLE/SETUP-FISHINGFORTROUBLE.TP2~ 0 0 // Core Files: Fishing for Trouble by Yovaneth: 3.1.3
00008: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ 0 7 // Przywrocenie losowych spotkan: v8.2.7 BWP Fix 2
00009: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ 0 8 // Pomniejsze przywrocenia: v8.2.7 BWP Fix 2
00010: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ 0 11 // Przywrocony ostatni sen o Zabojcy: v8.2.7 BWP Fix 2
00011: ~G3ANNIVERSARY/SETUP-G3ANNIVERSARY.TP2~ 0 0 // The Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod: v9 BWP Fix
00012: ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ 6 1030 // Odslon obszary dziczy przed rozdzialem szostym: Beta 5

It seems that mod number 2 on above list was causing crashes on world map: REUNION/SETUP-REUNION.TP2~ 0 0 // The Reunion mod for Baldur's Gate II: v1 BWP Fix

Indeed, I see that Reunion uses ANSI encoded text which is OK when your game is set to use English language but which causes crashes for other languages. The solution is to convert the text to UTF-8 encoding. I have added a patch to the BiG World Fixpack so this should not be a problem in the future. Thanks for tracking this down!

Edited by agb1

It occurred to me that I might have made a mistake checking which mod was causing crashes on worldmap. So when I was reinstalling BGEET instead of full mod package I chose only The Darkest Day. Just to check if it will cause any crashes by itself.

And It did :( Game is freezing and crashing on worldmap screen again, which is strange considering TDD is already translated to other languages.

Mods affecting WORLDMAP.WMP:
00000: ~TDDZ/SETUP-TDDZ.TP2~ 2 0 // TDD - Core: v1.2

EET worldmap.bmp after TDD installation:

worldmap.7z

WeiDU.log

Edit1:

.tra files in \Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\TDDz\Translations\Polish are ANSI encoded.

Edit2:

All .tra files (including worldmap.tra) for polish localization in TTD and TTDz subfolders are ANSI encoded :/

Edited by Aramil

Er... At first glance, I didn't see it, but TDDZ does include some UTF-8 conversion code that is supposed to run at install-time, but maybe it is not working. Do you see fl#utf8.mrk files in the translation subfolder of your chosen language in the TDDz mod directory? Edit: I think it does conversion for other tra files but skips the worldmap.tra file. Working on a patch.

Edited by agb1