General questions about creating mods for EET

Roxanne

Some questions regarding the next EET release

I found these hints of planned improvements in the various discussions

- finish cleaning out SoD areas in order to re-open them (currently links to go back there are disabled)

Q: is that removal of NPCs, plot items and such or is there more? (Asking because my mod makes use of some SoD areas in later chapters)

- restore a cutscene in the SoD to SoA transition

Q: Will this be done by extending k#telbgt.bcs (Asking because I have integrated a small cutscene here that explains how my NPC gets to Amn, which is compliant with the current transition and probably stay so if k#telbgt.bcs would just be extended)

(My own Sandrah Saga for EET mega-mod is ready now - just awaiting the announced NTotSC for EET - but of course I want to take those upcoming changes into account.)

- finish cleaning out SoD areas in order to re-open them (currently links to go back there are disabled)

Q: is that removal of NPCs, plot items and such or is there more? (Asking because my mod makes use of some SoD areas in later chapters)

removal of NPCs that should no longer be there, plot items are not removed, minor characters that doesn't mention the Crusade stays. The goal is to clean as little as possible so you can still finish some quests in later portions of the game. The implementation that will be ready in RC5 RC6 may need some feedback once people go go back to these areas (for example going back from chapter 9 to chapter 8 areas - yep, vanilla SoD blocks access as soon as you move on at each chapter)

Q: Will this be done by extending k#telbgt.bcs (Asking because I have integrated a small cutscene here that explains how my NPC gets to Amn, which is compliant with the current transition and probably stay so if k#telbgt.bcs would just be extended)

This is already implemented in RC4. You will see the new cutscene after short playable section, right after sodcin05.wbm. It's coded in the BD6100.BCS. K#TELBGT creature is spawned once the cutscene is finished (although keep in mind that at that point Player1 is under MakeUnselectable action)

(My own Sandrah Saga for EET mega-mod is ready now - just awaiting the announced NTotSC for EET - but of course I want to take those upcoming changes into account.)

congratulations!

This is already implemented in RC4. You will see the new cutscene after short playable section, right after sodcin05.wbm. It's coded in the BD6100.BCS. K#TELBGT creature is spawned once the cutscene is finished (although keep in mind that at that point Player1 is under MakeUnselectable action)

I tested it - not sure where the issue comes from but Player1 stays unselectable after the transition (i.e. when Imoen opens the cage in Irenicus dungeon...).

I will make another test with disabling my stuff.

PS I found that in K#telbgt at point SetGlobal("K#temp","Global",29) only players 2-6 are made selectable again but not player1????

PS I found that in K#telbgt at point SetGlobal("K#temp","Global",29) only players 2-6 are made selectable again but not player1? ???

player1 is made selectable again via AR0602.BCS (the reason for this is a delay before the area script starts working after MoveToCampaign is used). On clean EET it works fine (tested at least 20 times in a row with different outcomes of the battle).

if you need to add some additional cutscene than I suggest doing it before K#TELBGT.CRE is spawned via BD6100.BCS. MoveToCampaign can be tricky to work with so you can eaisly break the transition script. Even better if you enable your cutscene before the extended SOD cutscene which makes the party unselectable, so when bd_finale = 4, for example after sodcin05 movie, but before bd_finale = 5 block triggers.

You can check if transition finished successfully by going to sleep in Irenicus Dungeon - if Imoen will talk her sleep lines than everything is fine. If no than MoveToCampaign failed and you need to rewrite your code.

if you need to add some additional cutscene than I suggest doing it before K#TELBGT.CRE is spawned via BD6100.BCS. MoveToCampaign can be tricky to work with so you can eaisly break the transition script. Even better if you enable your cutscene before the extended SOD cutscene which makes the party unselectable, so when bd_finale = 4, for example after sodcin05 movie, but before bd_finale = 5 block triggers.

You can check if transition finished successfully by going to sleep in Irenicus Dungeon - if Imoen will talk her sleep lines than everything is fine. If no than MoveToCampaign failed and you need to rewrite your code.

Thanks for your patience with me - yes, I just took a walk with my dog to clear my brain and came to the same conclusion. I will move my stuff out of K#TELBGT.BCS and into the area script, just like you suggested. This is how I did it before in BGT so it never interferred with the rest of the transition.

Will test it right now.

Thanks for your patience with me - yes, I just took a walk with my dog to clear my brain and came to the same conclusion. I will move my stuff out of K#TELBGT.BCS and into the area script, just like you suggested. This is how I did it before in BGT so it never interferred with the rest of the transition.

Will test it right now.

I have done the change and it works perfectly. My stuff fits in with the rest just like it aways should have been this way. So now the K#TELBGT.BCS is back to your original again.

I also found the issue about unselectable...my mistake. I jumped to that point out of some early save not setting EndofBG1 to 1...

Does EscapeAreaMove still work in EET (or BG2EE v2.3) ?

why wouldn't it? NI reports that this action is used 102 times during the game.

I have encountered in several (well tested and always successful situations - until the last upgrade to 2,3) that the creature does the escape area part of it but cannot be found in the target area of the move. Since the scripts, references etc have not been changed, I was guessing that maybe the 2.3 might work differently (or has a more clever replacement for the action?)

Example

IF

Global("SanImoRetWD","GLOBAL",7)

Global("HennHeal","CVDRE2",1)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("HennHeal","CVDRE2",2) Is set

ActionOverride("Henning2",EscapeAreaMove("CVEBS1",383,311,5))

END

I have encountered in several (well tested and always successful situations - until the last upgrade to 2,3) that the creature does the escape area part of it but cannot be found in the target area of the move. Since the scripts, references etc have not been changed, I was guessing that maybe the 2.3 might work differently (or has a more clever replacement for the action?)

Example

IF

THEN

RESPONSE #100

END

can't reproduce it. EscapeAreaMove works fine for me. Tested in Candlekeep prologue by adding this to BALDUR.BCS (Jondal moves to the house with rats):

IF
  Global("K#TESTMOVE","GLOBAL",0)
  NextTriggerObject("jondal")
  See(Player1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("K#TESTMOVE","GLOBAL",1)
    ActionOverride("jondal",EscapeAreaMove("BG2606",270,300,S))
END

This clua code works too:

C:Eval('ActionOverride("jondal",EscapeAreaMove("BG2606",270,300,S))')

Also checked vanilla BG2 TANNER.BCS script. This block works just fine:

IF
  Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
  Global("TannerMove","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("TannerMove","GLOBAL",1)
    SetGlobalTimer("TooLateTanner","GLOBAL",FIVE_ROUNDS)
    MoveToPoint([274.276])
    EscapeAreaMove("AR0502",307,444,S)
END

If the action was broken than someone would have notice it by now considering it's used more than 100 times in game.

Example

IF

THEN

RESPONSE #100

END

can't reproduce it. EscapeAreaMove works fine for me. Tested in Candlekeep prologue by adding this to BALDUR.BCS (Jondal moves to the house with rats):

IF
  Global("K#TESTMOVE","GLOBAL",0)
  NextTriggerObject("jondal")
  See(Player1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("K#TESTMOVE","GLOBAL",1)
    ActionOverride("jondal",EscapeAreaMove("BG2606",270,300,S))
END

This clua code works too:

C:Eval('ActionOverride("jondal",EscapeAreaMove("BG2606",270,300,S))')

Also checked vanilla BG2 TANNER.BCS script. This block works just fine:

IF
  Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
  Global("TannerMove","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("TannerMove","GLOBAL",1)
    SetGlobalTimer("TooLateTanner","GLOBAL",FIVE_ROUNDS)
    MoveToPoint([274.276])
    EscapeAreaMove("AR0502",307,444,S)
END

If the action was broken than someone would have notice it by now considering it's used more than 100 times in game.

Thank you for the effort. It must have been some hicup in my game. I will keep all code unchanged until I learn about some problem again.

Archived