PST on android, galaxy 7 edge, messy UI

larrynho

Hi everyone,

I tried to play pst on gemRB before but in the end I quit trying cos I was toldthat the game was not fully playable. On my galaxy s4 I had problems configuring it but in the end it worked altough it wont use the full screen ( black side bars ).

Now I have a Galaxy S7 edge and I'm trying to get it to work again on the lastest build (0.8.4).

Installing widescreen mod for 800x600 and after Ghostdog UI , and configuring gemrb.cfg to x=800 y=600 the game works fine ( with small side black bands) BUT when a dialogue pops up or I open any window( charachter sheet, map ...) it appears un-centered and/or with flickering. If I scroll the text upand down it become somewhar readable...

Ive tried different resolutions ( up to 1440x2560 wich is s7 native ) , installing widescreen on gemRB mode and non-gemRB mode, installing and uninstalling Ghostdog UI ... But this problem wont go away.

Can any1 helpme on this please?

Much appreciated !!

As far as centering goes, that which isn't handled by the original or widescreen, we have to do manually. Chiv wrote a patch concept for that, but I think it still needs some work. It's on the list for the next time I (or someone else) dives into pst.

Why it flickers is the real mistery. Is the flickering present at the default resolution? Maybe the windowing work we'll hopefully merge by the end of the year will inadvertently fix that too.

Unfortunately gemrb runs too slow in an emulator for me (and my phone is at 2.3), so I can't really test android builds.

Too bad apps have to be fullscreen. SDL2 supports window scaling, so you could run it at double pixel size without mods ... but you don't have a window.

As far as centering goes, that which isn't handled by the original or widescreen, we have to do manually.

The PST GUI mod does that to the game... unless the GemRB do something to the files. For example not reading the files that the game uses, but reading them from the .bif -files.

It's a bit insulting to suggest that after what, 15 years, gemrb wouldn't support override folders. :p

Does it do any exe patching? If it adds extra controls (like frames), that would explain it, but it'd also be easy to fix.

Insult... no, don't take it as such... more on the arrogance of myself. :devlook:

Does it do any exe patching? If it adds extra controls (like frames), that would explain it, but it'd also be easy to fix.

The GUI mod doesn't need to do .exe patching(this is an assumption) cause the Widescreen mod already does that, but it moves the controls, adds/replaces a more fitting graphics to where the widescreen mod left them, as it has to be installed before the GUI mod. So I would assume it just replaces the .mos, .bam and .chu files.

Fully unmoded works ! small black bars to the sides and res is so low that I cant see much around the character but ... playable :D

Now Im struggling on how to command the main character to attack npc's ( those zombies at start ) XD push and hold screen - select axe- select the fist..but game remains paused :p

I don't think that's what the original did, but you can change it for better usability. I'll have to think on how to do this properly for all users.

Edit the file gemrb/GUIScripts/pst/FloatMenuWindow.py around line 529 like below (Update -> Open):

@@ -529,7 +529,7 @@ def FloatMenuSelectWeapons ():
        float_menu_index = 0
        float_menu_selected = None
        GemRB.GameControlSetTargetMode (TARGET_MODE_ATTACK)
-       UpdateFloatMenuWindow ()
+       OpenFloatMenuWindow ()
        return

def FloatMenuSelectItems ():

The open call will actually do the closing, since the window is already open.

Flickering problems will occur anytime you have interface elements that overlap the "Game Control" area. As Lynx noted work in progress has fixed this behavior, but won't be consumable for a while yet (even longer for you since PST/SDL2 are the at the bottom of the todo list on that). For now you would have to hack something to size the GameControl differently.

Archived