Revised SCS

Demivrgvs

Protection from missiles doesn't protect from the duergar archers added by the SCS mod (those that replace goblins) in Jon Bon's dungeon.

Also (though this bug isn't directly SCS-related), the sword spider form (from polymorph self) is not immune to the slow effect of web.

Heh, I never install duergars since I use Dungeon-B-Gone; and I never use polymorph self spell. Will check it out. Fwiw, Pro Missiles is seriously OP in SR anyway, so I don't use that either :D .

Protection from missiles doesn't protect from the duergar archers added by the SCS mod (those that replace goblins) in Jon Bon's dungeon.

Also (though this bug isn't directly SCS-related), the sword spider form (from polymorph self) is not immune to the slow effect of web.

Heh, I never install duergars since I use Dungeon-B-Gone; and I never use polymorph self spell. Will check it out. Fwiw, Pro Missiles is seriously OP in SR anyway, so I don't use that either :D .

edit: actually, after some testing, it has turned out this spell doesn't work for me at all

Edited by chimaera

It's not that big of a deal for me personally because I play solo but if you play with a party and any high level mage can instantly summon Greater Basilisks every time you encounter one, that can get frustrating. There is no way around this else not installing smarter mages.

Yeah, I understand this is probably very frustrating. I'm kinda hoping Demi will tweak MSIX to summon something else rather than basilisk.

My main gripe against how AI mages play is that most of them are piss-poor weak w/o some meatshields if they're solo like Lavok, which is the main idea behind this tweak. While I can uderstand that original SCS idea isn't to beef up such encounters; I'd probably rework some of them.

Example of what I'm pointing at:

Lavok is supposed to be an ultra-powerful mage. With SCS, he has levels, he has spells, he has "brains" to use them, yet the battle is very easy since he can be overwhelmed by sheer numbers - and this makes all his levels, spells and "brains" moot since after he eats a Breach spell he's pretty much dead, with the player witnessing approx 20% of what he CAN do, but usually fails to.

If he's that powerful, couldn't he create some creatures that assist him? Has some deal with a Demon from the Planes? Just imagine this battle now vs one where you'd have Lavok + a Pit Fiend or two. A Lich could also be there. Now you've got a worthy battle, not some solo schmuck mage with a unique animation.

There are quite a few such encounters in SoA. ToB is (imo) much more balanced regarding; mages are rarely alone there.

Improved Anvil goes around that by increasing enemy immunities so they last much longer, but that's not really the direction I want to go. Thus, I went for instant summons to at least give mages some backup. If I find the time and willpower to learn more about scripting (I do already know a thing or two; I just need to learn the finesse stuff) I could probably make an optional component; or a mini-mod for "more beefy encounters".

Well, in my current LoB/SR/SCS run those demons Lavok summoned ate him. :D

That said, I really dislike the way the long time buffs are changed from original SCS. The great thing about (original) SCS is that I can use it for both my powergaming AND roleplaying runs, because the short prebuffs component is optional. In my rp runs I tend to restrict my party's items/spells/abilities/prebuffing, but at the same time I want the enemies to be at least somewhat believable and that is why I have the short prebuffs usually off. As it is, SR/SCS is like fighting Tactics-mages, with their "nevermind if that makes sense" prebuffing routine; and while Tactics is one of my favourite mods I wouldn't use it for a roleplaying run. Same with SR/SCS.

I don't care that without it mages are a bit weaker, because the point of SCS isn't - at least not for me - to increase the difficulty of everything, but to make the enemies less stupid, but not outright cheating.

I don't understand - why can't you still turn off short-duration pre-buffing with SR? It's still an optional component.

Yeah, but the monster summonings are part of the long-duration prebuffing, it seems. I have the "Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC" installed, but even mages that are present in the area when my PC arrives have summons precast. I wouldn't mind if they were skeletons, because those last 8 hours, but these last 3 turns.

edit: I have attached a screenshot from the Umar Hills dungeon. The lich in question is at the end of the dungeon, far away from the PC.

post-8832-0-90305800-1488992216_thumb.jpg

Edited by chimaera

I don't understand - why can't you still turn off short-duration pre-buffing with SR? It's still an optional component.

Yeah, but the monster summonings are part of the long-duration prebuffing, it seems. I have the "Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC" installed, but even mages that are present in the area when my PC arrives have summons precast. I wouldn't mind if they were skeletons, because those last 8 hours, but these last 3 turns.

edit: I have attached a screenshot from the Umar Hills dungeon. The lich in question is at the end of the dungeon, far away from the PC.

I have noticed this as well, also in BG 1 (though it is obviously not MS IX) and would like to change this on my installation. Any one can point me to the right file in SCS revised to change this behaviour? I found several blocks related to pre-buffing, but non-mentioned the summoning spells there.

I have noticed this as well, also in BG 1 (though it is obviously not MS IX) and would like to change this on my installation. Any one can point me to the right file in SCS revised to change this behaviour? I found several blocks related to pre-buffing, but non-mentioned the summoning spells there.

It will be gone in a few days.

I'm in the process of updating Fixpack patches or find better solution. In the meantime, please download and test: https://github.com/Gibberlings3/SwordCoastStratagems/archive/RevisedSCS.zip - it has Revised SCS from first post + missing Fixpack fixes applied.

Using BG2EE 2.5, this error occurs:

Any chances for investigation? False alarm.
Edited by ALIENQuake