Revised SCS

Demivrgvs

I'm actually afraid to go inside Twisted Rune right now. ;)

Well, that's only optional, I generally skip it....wait 'till you see Yaga Sura battle (Ascension version). If you solo that jazz with a mage with IR/SR/SCS..... :king:

Small update

change-log:

Added a more refined spell selection for mages (tnx Daxtreme); "make individual spell immunity versions" component blocked since it's redundant and confusing.

Conjurers should now use level 8 demons more often (demons galore!), level 7 djinn should be used for variety, some more tweaks to necro/enchanter.

I'll work on Energy Drain next to see if I can get AI to use it (they won't bother using it vs NPP if I can do it, it's level 9 = too expensive to waste), and sort out some SR/IR Haste/Petrification bugs I found.

Also, I have a rather lovely idea about buffing AI Conjurers even more. With SCS, Druids get Animal summons as a "prebuff". I can easilly make Conjurers benefit from this - but unlike Druids, they'd get MSVII-MSIX spells as a part of their prebuff routine. Any decent Conjurer should walk around with few conjured monsters anyway, no? This ofc means that you'll be seeing Greater Basilisk creatures in BG2, but c'est la vie... :D

Does Death Ward block Energy Drain? Seems like it should. Though such a powerful attack should maybe blast away the Death Ward after being blocked.

There are a number of places where something like that would be appropriate. As an example I'm working on now, my Psychic Crush psionic power is blocked by chaotic Commands, but it strips the CC protection from the target.

Ah, except the non-EE engine can't do opcode 321. Shame. Maybe I'll do a little EE-only meta-mod adding this kind of capability to SR in select places...

Does Death Ward block Energy Drain?

No.

There are a number of places where something like that would be appropriate. As an example I'm working on now, my Psychic Crush psionic power is blocked by chaotic Commands, but it strips the CC protection from the target.

I started some work on this a year ago; but never actually finished it. It's a shame EE hasn't fixed the damn Spell Shield opcode (has it?); that would be grand if it worked properly. One could make Chaotic Commands and similar "absorb" x number of spells, then vanishing. It would make Mind Flayers really powerful.

Ah, except the non-EE engine can't do opcode 321.

Well, that's the one that can be "mimicked" on old engine, at least when it comes to protection removal.

Small update

change-log:

Added a more refined spell selection for mages (tnx Daxtreme); "make individual spell immunity versions" component blocked since it's redundant and confusing.

Conjurers should now use level 8 demons more often (demons galore!), level 7 djinn should be used for variety, some more tweaks to necro/enchanter.

I'll work on Energy Drain next to see if I can get AI to use it (they won't bother using it vs NPP if I can do it, it's level 9 = too expensive to waste), and sort out some SR/IR Haste/Petrification bugs I found.

Also, I have a rather lovely idea about buffing AI Conjurers even more. With SCS, Druids get Animal summons as a "prebuff". I can easilly make Conjurers benefit from this - but unlike Druids, they'd get MSVII-MSIX spells as a part of their prebuff routine. Any decent Conjurer should walk around with few conjured monsters anyway, no? This ofc means that you'll be seeing Greater Basilisk creatures in BG2, but c'est la vie... :D

And Gate? :D

Btw I checked the current spell selection of most high level mages (I haven't installed your new version yet), and Gate is a very rare spell. Even level 18+ conjurers don't always have it, and non-conjurers never have it. Is it intended?

No wonder I never stumbled upon a single Gate spell so far in my playthrough!

edit: also question, does this new v also fix Vithal and his script, and the crooked crane Lich at the same time? thanks!

Edited by Daxtreme

SR Energy Drain has a chance to insta-kill, doesn't it? IMHO that brings it within the purview of Death Ward. (Or was the insta-kill something I added in my own tweaks?)

It's a shame EE hasn't fixed the damn Spell Shield opcode (has it?); that would be grand if it worked properly. One could make Chaotic Commands and similar "absorb" x number of spells, then vanishing. It would make Mind Flayers really powerful.

True, that could be very cool. Something like a "stoneskin for magic attacks."

But, it would also be complicated, and I think having a single "skin" of protection could still add flavor. And it would make these other protections consistent with dispelling Screen. Something like:

- Finger of Death and Energy Drain and Wail of the Banshee are blocked by Death Ward, but obliterate the DW in the process. Lower level spells are consistently blocked for DW's duration. Maybe add a bonus to saves vs. Death that continues for the spell's full duration, so there is some residual benefit.

- Chaotic Commands at 5th level provides both immunity to mental attacks, and a save bonus against them. Illithids' Psionic Blast and PW: Stun are blocked once by CC, but obliterate CC's immunity. (Maybe delay it by a round, so if you encounter 3 illithids at once, you are safe from all of them for 1 round.) The save bonus continues for the duration, so you still have some protection.

- Mind Blank at 8th level is strong enough to provide continuing immunity to all mental attacks.

- Dispelling Screen blocks Dispel Magic, but only once.

- Hmm, no sure what else needs this treatment. Maybe nothing. The interplay of Deflection/Spell Shield/Pierce Magic is already working, and appropriately for metamagic, is a bit more nuanced.

As I said in the linked post, I personally think this would be a fantastic idea - even w/o Dispel Magic or Breach available mages would still have a chance to remove your buffs, AI scripts would be shorter leading to faster gameplay (I'd make stuff like Death Ward/CC "undetectable" similar to Dispel Scren; so mages cast against it), it would be more "realistic" (why would a mage - or how - know that Mazzy has Chaotic Commands buff??), and imo more immersive. Even more like the vanilla game in that regard.

On the downside, I feel as if the game setup (IR/SR/SCS) I play is hard enough as it is (Yaga Shura/Ascension finale/Odamaran/Watcher's Keep will really keep you on your toes); and don't really feel the need to ramp up the difficulty further. Or do I? :D

Mind you, if you tweak Mind Flayer blast to remove CC 100% of time.....my my..

Anyhow, I wouldn't go there w/o hearing what Demi has to say about it (this would be a *very* big tweak, and one which would only beef up AI) - and moreover, if we go that route; old engine compatibility will require much more work. It's not impossible, just fairly time consuming.

On previous topic - I'm thinking about buffing more pre-cast routines (if test install I'm making now with Conjurers works properly). Necros will get some undead followers to boot. this shouldn't affect difficulty much provided one has means of killing summons quickly (Banishment will kill them all). If not, well - tough luck. It will beef up the difficulty of some late-game encounters even more however - last thing you want to see in Yaga camp is two Greater Basilisks...... :devlook:.

Small update

change-log:

And Gate? :D

Btw I checked the current spell selection of most high level mages (I haven't installed your new version yet), and Gate is a very rare spell. Even level 18+ conjurers don't always have it, and non-conjurers never have it. Is it intended?

No wonder I never stumbled upon a single Gate spell so far in my playthrough!

edit: also question, does this new v also fix Vithal and his script, and the crooked crane Lich at the same time? thanks!

Gate was there already...and you'll be sorry for asking so much about it when you see what you end up with! :D Don't worry, play the game, virtually any ToB Conjurer will have it. The thing is - first few slots will be some kind of protection (so they might use Spell Trap/Apsolute Immunity). After that's done, Gate comes in.

Also, due to a "bug" somewhere in SCS code, clerics will get this spell (and they shouldn't with SR and I'll fix it when I find it). I've once had Mogadish (or whatever, a halfling in Planar Sphere) cast it. when you're level 12-13 and a Pit Fiend gets summoned, you're pretty much dead.

Yes, other mages have other spells at level 9 (more fitting to their kit). Necros will use Wail of Banshee, Enchanters will PW:Kill (watch your saves AND your HP - I'll tweak AI bit more in the next release concerning the use of this spell), Invokers will use Bigby spells (imo very underused concerning how good they are with SR). Necro and Enchanter will also use Imprisonment. It's easy enough to add Gate to other kits, but I wanted the mages to play to their "strong points". If you're really keen on these, go to strategems/mage/spellchoices/Demivrgvs, check the files there and add Gate to where you feel it fits.

Anyhow, I wouldn't go there w/o hearing what Demi has to say about it (this would be a *very* big tweak, and one which would only beef up AI) - and moreover, if we go that route; old engine compatibility will require much more work. It's not impossible, just fairly time consuming.

I suppose illithids blasts could have a percentage chance to obliterate CC.

I agree with you otherwise, but that's why I think it might work as a separate EE-only add-on. Maybe part of Tome & Blood's spell tweaks. I don't think it would require any AI changes, just tweaks to about a dozen spells...

Let's not forget that Khollynnus Paac always comes accompanied by none other than Zallanora, who will have her own Undead followers right? haha! Mother of god.

Will this be an install option or always on?

LOL.

Note, this will affect all Conjurers and Necros (I don't know if Paac & Zallanora always get the same kit; I CLUAed Paac since he was kitted as Conjurer, I don't know if this is always true).

It will always be on, provided you have some sort of prebuff installed I think. Iirc, SCS has an option you can enable by CLUAConsole to turn off prebuffs (and to turn it on later if you like) so that might work (untested).

I did go easy on this - if a conjurer has level 14/15, he'll cast MSVII. If he has level 16/17, he'll use MSVIII BUT will not use MSVII. If he's 18 or above, he'll use MSIX but not use any lower level variants.

Lower level Conjurers will not use this tweak (should they? I'm kind of reluctant since summons in BG1 can be annoyingly difficult to kill and Ogres are kinda imba....otoh, I might let them summon some lowlives like Gibberlings instantly instead...that would be nice imo. Necros could get skeletons in BG1 since Necros in BG1 get the s**t end of the stick without illusion)

I suppose illithids blasts could have a percentage chance to obliterate CC.

I agree with you otherwise, but that's why I think it might work as a separate EE-only add-on. Maybe part of Tome & Blood's spell tweaks. I don't think it would require any AI changes, just tweaks to about a dozen spells...

It would require AI changes if you want to shorten the scripts, or if you don't want to delve into detectable spells.