EET RC 7.1 installation on MacOS (Mountain Lion & Sierra)

subtledoctor

Why not change your app so that it ignores .tp2 files that are more than 1 level deeper than the game folder? Or rely on the presence of "setup-" files instead of or in addition to .tp2 files?

Because my applescript skills are not sharp enough to know how to do that. Or more specifically, my skills were not sharp enough when I wrote the app, and my day job and my new night job (parenting :O ) prevent me from sharpening them further.

The app is open-source and on Github, anyone is free to develop it further - I don't see it as 'my thing,' but rather as something for all Mac-based players and modders. To his great credit astrobryguy has made some useful contributions. But there has not been much more activity.

As far as I know in order to run tp2 from within the directory the tp2 file would need to have the same name as the directory. So no, EET/EET_core.tp2 is not possible.

Ah good point, fair enough, suggestion withdrawn.

tileconv and tile2ee had been updated recently because of macOS Sierra's issues with compressed binaries.

I'm not too familiar with this stuff (software generally). Since I reverted to OS 10.8, is it possible that these tools have been compiled with 10.12 as a target, and don't work in the older OS? If (IF) that's the case, maybe we could compile version that work across different OSes?

@k4thos I will recreate the install and post the .debug information. Also, since I preserved my 10.12 install on a separate partition (on a spinning-platter hard disk, blech), I'll boot into the newer OS and do the same install there, to see if there is a difference between OSes. Might take a day or two, free time is hard to come by.

tileconv and tile2ee had been updated recently because of macOS Sierra's issues with compressed binaries.

I'm not too familiar with this stuff (software generally). Since I reverted to OS 10.8, is it possible that these tools have been compiled with 10.12 as a target, and don't work in the older OS? If (IF) that's the case, maybe we could compile version that work across different OSes?

My previous post was more directed at K4thos. Older versions of tileconv and tile2ee (as the ones included in EET RC7.1) should be working without problems on pre-Sierra OS X versions.

GUI art is handled by tileconv tool, some icons packed in PVRZ are installed via pre-made weidu function. Upload your SETUP-EET_CORE.DEBUG so we can see if those resources have been extracted correctly.

Done.

Can you view BG2600 in Near Infinity Area Viewer?

Yes, I can see the map of Candlekeep in NI.

EDIT -

I CAN start and play from SoA.

Also, I get the exact same results when installing on Sierra. So it's not a 10.8-vs.-10.12 thing.

SETUP-EET_CORE.DEBUG.zip

Sorry people, but I have to keep bumping this. When I try to install EET it does not have any GUI art, and it crashes when I try to start a BGEE/BP1/SoD campaign. The only hint I have is this post:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28337&p=248096

Quote: "GUI art is handled by tileconv tool, some icons packed in PVRZ are installed via pre-made weidu function. Upload your SETUP-EET_CORE.DEBUG so we can see if those resources have been extracted correctly."

I uploaded the debug file here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28337&p=248127

I've looked it over but I have no idea what I'm looking at/for. I did a search for "tileconv" but it is not mentioned in the .debug file. I did a search for "pvrz" and it seems like everything is in order. But it clearly isn't.

It's not a permissions or Gatekeeper issue or anything else like that - my system is well used to mods being installed.

So, is anyone familiar with *HOW* EET calls tileconv? Or what to be looking for in the .debug file? OR anything? Seriously, someone just point me in the right direction and I'll try to troubleshoot it myself. But this is extremely frustrating so I'm inevitably going to keep bumping this post and bothering people about it, as long as it doesn't work. :(

Search EET_core.tp2 for tileconv. It uses the same parameters for tileconv on OS X as it does on other platforms.

I don't see anything obvious in the debug log. I've attached the setup-EET_core.debug from my Windows install for comparison.

I don't know which pre-made WeiDU function K4thos was referring to. Edit: I've excerpted in spoiler tags below the section of EET_core.tp2 that seems to deal with the GUI. There is a section commented out that used the INSTALL_PVRZ function. I'm guessing that is what K4thos meant. But it doesn't use that now.

In any case, look at this array:

ACTION_FOR_EACH file IN ~MAPICONS.BAM~ ~WORLDMAP.MOS~ ~BIGLOGO.BAM~ ~TITLE.BAM~ ~CMPGEET.BAM~ ~STARTSOD.MOS~ ~STARTBG2.MOS~ BEGIN

I would try putting the backups of all of these files (from EET's backup folder) into your override and seeing if that resolves the crash. If yes, it confirms there is a problem with these files. If no, there's some other issue in play.

PRINT ~Installing GUI...~

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~EET/base/gui~ ~^.+\.mbc$~ BEGIN
	AT_NOW ~%tileconv% -e -o "EET%os_slash%temp%os_slash%biff%os_slash%%BASH_FOR_RES%.mos" "EET%os_slash%base%os_slash%gui%os_slash%%BASH_FOR_FILE%" %bash_debug%~
END
LAM bash_log

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~EET/base/gui/sod~ ~^.+\.mbc$~ BEGIN
	AT_NOW ~%tileconv% -e -o "EET%os_slash%SoD_GUI%os_slash%%BASH_FOR_RES%.mos" "EET%os_slash%base%os_slash%gui%os_slash%sod%os_slash%%BASH_FOR_FILE%" %bash_debug%~
END
LAM bash_log

/*ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY table_EET_fileIndex BEGIN
	"WORLDMAP" , "MOS" => "20"
	"BIGLOGO" , "BAM" => "30"
	"TITLE" , "BAM" => "40"
	"CMPGEET" , "BAM" => "50"
	"STARTSOD" , "MOS" => "60"
	"MAPICONS" , "BAM" => "70"
	"STARTBG2" , "MOS" => "80"
END
ACTION_PHP_EACH table_EET_fileIndex AS file => index BEGIN
	COPY + ~EET/base/gui/%file%.%file_1%~ ~%biff_dir%~
		LPF ~UPDATE_PVRZ_INDICES~ RET original_base_index new_base_index END
	ACTION_IF original_base_index >= 0 AND new_base_index >= 0 BEGIN
		ACTION_BASH_FOR ~EET/base/gui~ ~mos%index%.*\.pvrz~ BEGIN
			LAF ~INSTALL_PVRZ~ INT_VAR original_base_index new_base_index STR_VAR source_file = EVAL ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ END
		END
	END ELSE BEGIN
		WARN ~WARNING: Couldn't install PVRZ files~
	END
END*/

//ACTION_CLEAR_ARRAY remapped_pvrz

ACTION_FOR_EACH file IN ~MAPICONS.BAM~ ~WORLDMAP.MOS~ ~BIGLOGO.BAM~ ~TITLE.BAM~ ~CMPGEET.BAM~ ~STARTSOD.MOS~ ~STARTBG2.MOS~ BEGIN
	COPY + ~EET/base/gui/%file%~ ~%biff_dir%~
		READ_LONG 0x10 "blocks_cnt"
		PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_EXT%~ STR_EQ ~bam~) BEGIN
			READ_LONG 0x1c "blocks_off"
		END ELSE BEGIN //mos
			READ_LONG 0x14 "blocks_off"
		END
		FOR (cnt=0; cnt<"%blocks_cnt%"; cnt=cnt+1) BEGIN
			READ_LONG ("%blocks_off%"+0x1c*cnt+0x0) "original_base_index"
			//PATCH_PRINT ~cnt = %cnt%, original_base_index = %original_base_index%~
			PATCH_IF (VARIABLE_IS_SET $remapped_pvrz_base(~%original_base_index%~)) BEGIN
				TEXT_SPRINT new_base_index $remapped_pvrz_base(~%original_base_index%~)
				WRITE_LONG ("%blocks_off%"+0x1c*cnt+0x0) "new_base_index"
			END ELSE BEGIN
				SET new_base_index = reserve_index_start + reserve_index_cnt //variables already set via prep_PVRZ.tph
				SET reserve_index_cnt = reserve_index_cnt + 1
				//PATCH_PRINT ~remapped_pvrz_base = %original_base_index% => %new_base_index%~
				DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY remapped_pvrz_base BEGIN ~%original_base_index%~ => ~%new_base_index%~ END
				WRITE_LONG ("%blocks_off%"+0x1c*cnt+0x0) "new_base_index"
				PATCH_FOR_EACH index IN original_base_index new_base_index BEGIN
					SET value = EVAL ~%index%~
					PATCH_IF (value < 10) BEGIN
						SPRINT EVAL ~%index%~ ~000%value%~
					END ELSE PATCH_IF (value < 100) BEGIN
						SPRINT EVAL ~%index%~ ~00%value%~
					END ELSE PATCH_IF (value < 1000) BEGIN
						SPRINT EVAL ~%index%~ ~0%value%~
					END ELSE BEGIN
						SPRINT EVAL ~%index%~ ~%value%~
					END
				END
				INNER_ACTION BEGIN
					//LAF ~INSTALL_PVRZ~ INT_VAR original_base_index new_base_index STR_VAR source_file = EVAL ~EET/base/gui/mos%pvrz_name%.pvrz~ target_folder = EVAL ~%biff_dir%~ END
					COPY_LARGE + ~EET/base/gui/mos%original_base_index%.pvrz~ ~%biff_dir%/mos%new_base_index%.pvrz~
				END
			END
		END
END

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~%biff_dir%/pvrz~ ~^.+\.pvrz$~ BEGIN
	MOVE + ~%biff_dir%/pvrz~ ~%biff_dir%~
END

SETUP-EET_CORE.DEBUG

Oh. They aren't actually copied to override, just biffed, so I guess there are no backups (just the original game biffs). You can export those files from a non-EET BG2EE folder using Near Infinity and drop them in your override so they take precedence over the EET versions.

... Although I suspect startsod.mos will have to be taken from BG1EE.

Also I have no CMPGEET.BAM in my BG2EE game (sounds like an EET thing) and no STARTBG2.MOS. There is:

- START.MOS,

- STARTEE.MOS (which looks like a BGEE screen),

- START2EE.MOS,

- START3EE.MOS (which is the vanilla 2EE's 'choose a campaign' screen), and

- STARTBP2.MOS.

EDIT - and there is no STARTSOD.MOS in my SoD game. Sounds like STARTBG2 and STARTSOD are either created, or renamed, by EET.

I replaced MAPICONS.BSM, TITLE.BAM, BIGLOGO.BAM, and WORLDMAP.MOS. This time I had more art in the start screens (SoA art like the two elf heads, which I suppose is meant to be replaced by EET stuff). I still could not see the campaign picker screen, which I assume is because I'm missing CMPGEET.BAM.

I *can* still start a different campaign though... starting a BG1 game takes me to chargen, when it's done I have the BG1 splash screen with difficulty level and I press "venture forth" and still crashes. So that would be down to WORLDMAP.MOS (maybe because the version I put into my override is the stock BG2 one, and doesn't have BG1 areas...?), or STARTBG2.MOS, or STARTSOD.MOS.

But those don't seem like things that should crash the game. Right...?

There are 12,000+ files in /override, so it seems like most of the transfer was successful.

CMPGEET.BAM is just a small icon. I think STARTBG2.MOS or STARTSOD.MOS is the background of the campaign selection screen.

After pressing Venture Forth, there should be a textscreen (background MOS with scrolling text). It seems your crash is preceding that.

Did you install the ~SOD GUI~ component of EET_gui.tp2? Perhaps try that...

After pressing Venture Forth, there should be a textscreen (background MOS with scrolling text). It seems your crash is preceding that.

Exactly right.

Did you install the ~SOD GUI~ component of EET_gui.tp2? Perhaps try that...

No - installing that leads to an immediate crash before getting to any kind of interactive screen. I'm guessing it relies on some of the stuff that is missing from EET_core, so when you install further UI stuff on top of a broken UI, things break even worse.

subtledoctor, it looks like the issue you got here is due to weidu biffing which doesn't seem to work at all on osx. Same is true on linux. Could you please do the same test on vanilla BG2:EE that I posted here? Just to be sure that it isn't related to case sensitivity, before we bother Wisp about this bug.

If the menu screen will be black than please check if START3EE.MOS will be visible in Near Infinity and if it points to the data/testbiff.bif archive (bottom of NI screen)

Archived