Rounds

temnix

So any minus applied to them either shouldn't matter or should suppress the attack completely. And that's something to check.

You can't "suppress" the attack. If a creature has 1 apr, and has a weapon with speed factor of 10, that attack will happen at the end of the round. If that 1 apr creature has a weapon with speed factor 1, that attack will happen almost instantly, and the creature will spend next 5 seconds checking out the scenery. The only way I know of that can slow down the attack rate of below 1/round is to use "modify apr" opcode - SET - 0.5. That can make the creature attack once per two rounds, but only if it has 1 base apr and has no extra apr from any source - levels or weapon pips.

The 2nd way is using Slow opcode;but I'm not sure how that (and if) would work.

No, I don't think Slow changes attack speed. The Slow spell that wizards can learn comes bundled with an AC penalty and other extras, but I'm reasonably sure that by itself the Slow opcode only reduces movement by 50% and doubles casting time. As for my question here, I agree that an attack can't be lost - that's what my test with Kagain and a two-handed sword with a minus on 190 showed. It couldn't be any slower, but it still happened in the end of the round. But what if the creature has more than 1 apr? Will all of the attacks be pushed to the end of the round, or will some be lost?

Any 7th level warrior has 2 APR, and it makes the effective MAX weapon speed = 5. So if he has a bastard sword with normal weapon speed 8, it drops to 5. And your penalty cannot do anything, because it's already maxed out.

(This is not precisely how it actually works, but it gets the point across. Messing with weapon speed does not have consistent, fair, or intelligent effects.)

It's you who is missing the point. I needed to know if I can apply speed penalties without causing a loss of attacks where that opcode can apply. I don't care to know everything there is about a-p-r.

To other people: so when does a character's personal round starts? When he stars attacking/casting? It seems that way. If the "End of round" autopause is on and only two out of six characters are fighting, they are the ones to get the end-of-round message and pause. But it can happen at a completely different time for them, depending on when they begin the first attacks. So there are two meanings to a round: one is the six-seconds interval the engine starts counting from ActuallyInCombat(), if you set it up that way, and in this case the name "round" is conventional, it's really about real duration, in seconds. The other round is the six-seconds or thereabouts period every character starts for himself. So, my question is: is it possible to time a spell, like a repeating EFF, so that it applies exactly in the beginning of the personal round? It applies; everything else happens, attacks and so on; the end-of-round message appears; new round for the character, and right in the beginning the spell applies again.

Is that possible?

No, not the ones the engine counts. That's a completely separate count and, as I said, conventional. It just uses the words "rounds" and "turns" for our convenience, but it measures in seconds. ONE_ROUND is just a tag for six seconds, it has been said in this thread. But you can't specify a spell's duration in rounds, because that's meaningless to the engine by itself. So when fighting starts, if some kind of effect is made to start with it (by putting a trigger in baldur.bcs, for example), the engine can do it every "round" for you, if you set a timer that way. But this is all different from the rounds characters start for themselves when they begin to fight. These rounds don't have to do start and end with the engine's count or with each other. If you send Kagain to attack someone, then send Edwin to attack 3 seconds later, their personal rounds will start and end at a different time, and you will get the auto-pause for each separately.

All the time the engine will run its own clock. It can apply a once-per-6 seconds spell for you, by its own count. I'm interested in catching the beginning of a personal round, whenever that starts for each character.

Or, which is not the same but can do as well, I want to catch them when they aren't attacking or casting a spell. Idle.

The engine doesn't count in rounds, but in ticks. In bg2, by default, 15 ticks per second. And it actually counts several ticks, the games differ in round length and some opcodes do take round based timing as parameters.

It's you who is missing the point. I needed to know if I can apply speed penalties without causing a loss of attacks where that opcode can apply. I don't care to know everything there is about a-p-r.

In fact I am making a point, which you are missing. Why create an effect and advertise it as "adding initiative to the game," and telling people their weapon speed could be slowed down or sped up, if it doesn't actually have any effect in-game, and doesn't actually add any kind of "initiative?" That is the point. You'll just be wasting your time.

Edit - good luck buddy.

Why don't you just shut up instead and get out of my thread?

What an idiot. Hey, you still here? See the gesture I'm making? That's your farewell for the rearview mirror.

Hamster wheel. How should I explain him, Boo, that I want to adjust weapon speed up and down, which is known to work within a certain limit of number of attacks? He doesn't get it. He keeps droning about how it would be with more attacks and specialization, and everything else in the world that isn't relevant to my project. Some people just don't know when to bash their rubber heads against the wall.

Archived