Transferring items & custom characters to SOA under EET?

ArthurP

Is it possible to import/transfer all items and equipment from the end of BG1EE/SOD into Irenicus' dungeon? What about custom characters (I'm planning a playthrough with 4 custom characters plus Imoen and Jaheira)? If so, how exactly does it work? Cheers!

Is it possible to import/transfer all items and equipment from the end of BG1EE/SOD into Irenicus' dungeon? What about custom characters (I'm planning a playthrough with 4 custom characters plus Imoen and Jaheira)? If so, how exactly does it work? Cheers!

1. custom characters

If I understand it correctly, you will alredy loose your custom characters when SoD really starts (after the new dungeon) - for details of how it works (and how you may overcome it) consult BD0103.bcs.

And nobody is transferred automatically from SoD to BG2 until you write a script yourself. Rather those that are supposed to make their way from BG1 or SoD into BG2 are moved into the respective target areas by scripts-

2. Items

This may interest you http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=32&do=findComment&comment=248595

1. custom characters

If I understand it correctly, you will alredy loose your custom characters when SoD really starts (after the new dungeon) - for details of how it works (and how you may overcome it) consult BD0103.bcs.

And nobody is transferred automatically from SoD to BG2 until you write a script yourself. Rather those that are supposed to make their way from BG1 or SoD into BG2 are moved into the respective target areas by scripts-

Thanks for the quick reply! Since I have no idea how I'd write a script for this, but I understand BG1 areas should still be accessible from the world map after the start of BG2, maybe I could leave the characters somewhere like Beregost before SoD and pick them up again later?

EDIT: I just did a quick test, and I can select a new SoD or SoA campaign and recreate my party at the start by importing my custom characters I'd previously exported at the end of BG1 (in SoA, my three other custom characters appear in the other nearby cages, along with Minsc and Jaheira). But what would be the drawbacks of doing that in EET? Would I no longer be able to access the BG1 areas during BG2, or would there be other downsides? I'm really unclear on how that all works; any further advice would be great!

1. custom characters

Thanks for the quick reply! Since I have no idea how I'd write a script for this, but I understand BG1 areas should still be accessible from the world map after the start of BG2, maybe I could leave the characters somewhere like Beregost before SoD and pick them up again later?

EDIT: I just did a quick test, and I can select a new SoD or SoA campaign and recreate my party at the start by importing my custom characters I'd previously exported at the end of BG1 (in SoA, my three other custom characters appear in the other nearby cages, along with Minsc and Jaheira). But what would be the drawbacks of doing that in EET? Would I no longer be able to access the BG1 areas during BG2, or would there be other downsides? I'm really unclear on how that all works; any further advice would be great!

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here. You can do all of the above in EET as well. Using EET in this fashion just means you play the game like two separated games and just use the BG2EE engine and GUI already in BG1. You end BG1, export your party, start BG2 campaign to import your goons.

The thing I was referring to was the way to just continue after SoD with the EET transition to BG2, You will stay in the context of the existing game and e.g. the Minsc in Irenicus dungeon is the same one you left in BG1, etc. If you want to transfer your custom crew in such a game you need to make yourself a kind of mini-mod that adds these creatures with a name and script name to the game (Some 10 minutes work to do so and you can re-use the NPCs in any new game you start and even when you do a new install).

I am sure there are also other ways, but I do not know them (Of course you can do a C.MoveToArea("ar0602") by the end of SoD -*park* your buddies there - go back to SoD alone and start the transition, Since your custom NPCs have no leaving dialogue, there should be no problem),

Thanks for the helpful info! I didn't explain it well earlier, but I do understand EET wouldn't technically prevent me from doing the kind of party creation/import character "workaround" I described when starting each campaign separately; I was just concerned about what I would miss out on if I did that, since EET is ideally meant to be played as one huge campaign. So it sounds like by playing within the EET framework but starting each campaign separately, I would no longer get to access the complete world map (BG1/SoD/Soa/ToB) at all times, but would instead be "limited" to the map areas available within each individual campaign as I played them, correct? As you mentioned, the carryover joinable NPCs like Minsc/Imoen/Jaheira etc. also wouldn't carry over their stats from previous campaigns into later ones if I played in that way, but otherwise, I don't think there would be any other "disadvantages"?

Still, I'd ideally like to play EET as one single huge campaign (Chapter 1 to Chapter 22), but still keep my 4 custom chars throughout. Though I'm completely new to EET and the Enhanced Editions, I may try to learn how to make that "mini-mod" you suggested, but I'd have to do some more research since I currently have no knowledge of the file structures, scripting conventions/methods, etc. Your "C.MoveToArea" idea (guess that's an in-game console command) may be easier for an amateur like me, though, so cheers for that - in fact, since it sounds like if I play EET as one continuous campaign I'll still be able to access BG1 areas in BG2, and SoA areas in ToB, etc. in order to pick up characters dropped off in "old" areas at the end of previous campaigns, that might be the best way for me to go about it. I really appreciate your time and patience with my questions!

Thanks for the helpful info! I didn't explain it well earlier, but I do understand EET wouldn't technically prevent me from doing the kind of party creation/import character "workaround" I described when starting each campaign separately; I was just concerned about what I would miss out on if I did that, since EET is ideally meant to be played as one huge campaign. So it sounds like by playing within the EET framework but starting each campaign separately, I would no longer get to access the complete world map (BG1/SoD/Soa/ToB) at all times, but would instead be "limited" to the map areas available within each individual campaign as I played them, correct? As you mentioned, the carryover joinable NPCs like Minsc/Imoen/Jaheira etc. also wouldn't carry over their stats from previous campaigns into later ones if I played in that way, but otherwise, I don't think there would be any other "disadvantages"?

Still, I'd ideally like to play EET as one single huge campaign (Chapter 1 to Chapter 22), but still keep my 4 custom chars throughout. Though I'm completely new to EET and the Enhanced Editions, I may try to learn how to make that "mini-mod" you suggested, but I'd have to do some more research since I currently have no knowledge of the file structures, scripting conventions/methods, etc. Your "C.MoveToArea" idea (guess that's an in-game console command) may be easier for an amateur like me, though, so cheers for that - in fact, since it sounds like if I play EET as one continuous campaign I'll still be able to access BG1 areas in BG2, and SoA areas in ToB, etc. in order to pick up characters dropped off in "old" areas at the end of previous campaigns, that might be the best way for me to go about it. I really appreciate your time and patience with my questions!

All of what you describe in the second section is correct. Just one little hint - do not place the people you want to pick up again inside the Baldur's Gate town. Wyrm's Crossing bridge is closed in BG2 due to events during SoD (no spoiler here). You can go everywhere else but the town only opens when you install some mod that re-opens it

All of what you describe in the second section is correct. Just one little hint - do not place the people you want to pick up again inside the Baldur's Gate town. Wyrm's Crossing bridge is closed in BG2 due to events during SoD (no spoiler here). You can go everywhere else but the town only opens when you install some mod that re-opens it

Got it - so one more question and I'll stop, really: I just tested your console suggestion (opened up the in-game console - Ctrl-Space - at the start of BG1 with my 4 custom toons and teleported to AR0602), but I saw it actually started the SoA opening cutscenes with me in the cage, and I'm concerned starting that scene early in that way will break the game flow later if I try to play everything in the correct order. So, could I instead console-teleport to e.g. Beregost just before the end of BG1 and then pick my custom chars up again from there after the start of SoD, then console-teleport to Beregost or some other available "safe" map area before the end of SoD and then pick my custom chars up again from there at the start of SoA, and so on for each campaign transition? I'm just trying to confirm I'll be able to access most of the BG1 areas (with some exceptions for Baldur's Gate city as you noted) again in SoD, and most of the BG1/SoD areas again in SoA, etc. I owe you one!

Got it - so one more question and I'll stop, really: I just tested your console suggestion (opened up the in-game console - Ctrl-Space - at the start of BG1 with my 4 custom toons and teleported to AR0602), but I saw it actually started the SoA opening cutscenes with me in the cage, and I'm concerned starting that scene early in that way will break the game flow later if I try to play everything in the correct order. So, could I instead console-teleport to e.g. Beregost just before the end of BG1 and then pick my custom chars up again from there after the start of SoD, then console-teleport to Beregost or some other available "safe" map area before the end of SoD and then pick my custom chars up again from there at the start of SoA, and so on for each campaign transition? I'm just trying to confirm I'll be able to access most of the BG1 areas (with some exceptions for Baldur's Gate city as you noted) again in SoD, and most of the BG1/SoD areas again in SoA, etc. I owe you one!

You are right, I forgot about that moving into Irenicus dungeon is not a good idea. You could place them in the upper level of the dungeon (ar0601) or you can choose any other location - just in case you do not know it, this may be helpful to locate areas http://www.shsforums.net/topic/25658-all-bgt-mega-mod-area-codes/ >>> just remember that EET uses the original designators for BG1 areas and a BG instead of ar, so "AR3701" BG1 ( AR4801) Nashkel: Inn in this list will be BG4801 in EET. BG2 and ToB areas are the same in all games.

Perfect - the only downside to my approach is I'll have to fight the last battle of each campaign without my 3 other custom chars in the party, but I'll make do. But I forgot to confirm (though it sounds like you already have): I assume if I leave my 3 other customs in an inn or someplace in Beregost, then go on my own to finish BG1, those 3 customs will still be hanging around in the exact same place in Beregost after the start of the SoD chapter, right? Same thing with the transitions from SoD to SoA and from SoA to ToB, despite the fact that years were supposed to have passed in between those campaigns? That obviously wouldn't be "immersive", but I'm intentionally choosing to do this so I can keep my custom party together throughout all the campaigns, so I hope it does work that way.

This is not the same behavior than with NPC.

I am not sure (because I gave up my current run in SoD, and I won't do another one until I can skip SoD), but your customs chars (multiplayers) are supposed to be moved to Irenicus Dungeon in EET. You have nothing to do, it just works.

Edit : it has always been like this since the first EET version.

Fouinto - thanks, but I didn't create the party in multiplayer mode; I just used the standard single-player "create party" option at the start of the BG1 campaign in EET, and made 4 customs instead of just the regular 1. So I'm not sure if they would be automatically moved with me to Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of SoA (and I'm guessing they wouldn't be moved with me regardless to the start of SoD, which I do plan to play).

So I'm not sure if they would be automatically moved with me to Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of SoA (and I'm guessing they wouldn't be moved with me regardless to the start of SoD, which I do plan to play).

They're automatically moved to Irenicus dungeon and you can play SoD with them, you don't loose them.

So I'm not sure if they would be automatically moved with me to Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of SoA (and I'm guessing they wouldn't be moved with me regardless to the start of SoD, which I do plan to play).

They're automatically moved to Irenicus dungeon and you can play SoD with them, you don't loose them.

So I don't have to do what Roxanne suggested to automatically keep and carry over my four EET custom characters (created/played in single-player mode) from BG1 to SoD, or from SoD to SoA, or again from SoA to ToB? That would be exactly what I was hoping for from EET - would kind of defeat the purpose of playing "one big campaign" otherwise!

Fouinto - thanks, but I didn't create the party in multiplayer mode; I just used the standard single-player "create party" option at the start of the BG1 campaign in EET, and made 4 customs instead of just the regular 1. So I'm not sure if they would be automatically moved with me to Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of SoA (and I'm guessing they wouldn't be moved with me regardless to the start of SoD, which I do plan to play).

what you do give the same result as I with multiplayer created characters (I create all 6 chars in muliplayer, then move my savegame from multiplayer to single player).

you have to do what Roxanne suggests for some NPC.

Archived