The Linux User's Guide to Installing Mods on the Enhanced Editions

exactly, you should have /media/zen/workshop/mnt/modbox/bgee/bgqe with a setup-bgqe.tp2 file just inside (I checked the exact file name and location, which can vary a bit, just now).

Concerning the difference with cdtweaks (anthology), it depends which archive you downloaded and extracted (and also how your extraction program is configured).

If you downloaded from there (github) https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG_Quests_And_Encounters/releases/tag/v25.2 you have two different zip files with different structures

- https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG_Quests_And_Encounters/releases/download/v25.2/baldurs-gate-mini-quests-and-encounters-modification-v25.2.zip has bgqe/ un the root (along with some other useless files) while

- https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG_Quests_And_Encounters/archive/refs/tags/v25.2.zip (named "Source code") has a root BG_Quests_And_Encounters-25.2/ directory with bgqe/ inside it so this one can't be extracted directly (you only want the bgqe/ directory).

The G3 download section has the first one, which should be correctly extracted to bgqe/ unless you configured you archive extractor to extract inside a directory which will usually take the name of the archive, and in this case, it's named... baldurs-gate-mini-quests-and-encounters-modification-v25.2.zip which would be extracted to baldurs-gate-mini-quests-and-encounters-modification-v25.2/ (checks).

So I guess when extracting you probably (un)checked a checkbox in the archive extractor (file-roller? ark?) for bgqe and not for cdtweaks, or the reverse.

BTW, the lin-cdtweaks-v9.zip has exactly the same layout as baldurs-gate-mini-quests-and-encounters-modification-v25.2.zip (the correct one).

Got a simple question here. Having issues getting my linux copy to download properly, so if I have to resort to wine and a windows version, do I still need to use linux weidu? Or should I use windows in the wine environment?

Guest Trishka

Hy, since i was recently trying to run bg2 modded on linux i wanted to share.
So if u have a dual boot system (windows and linux) u will most certainly have a partition which is accessible from windows and linux alike.

i have a ntfs-3g partition where i install most stuff.
There i also have a folder with the already modded version of bg1 and bg2.

now i simply used wine to run bg2 or bg1 ("wine Baldur.exe") and the game started with all mods installed.

i will look if i have any problems in the future but until now i have 0 problems and i am now in the "dearnis keep" so i think that could work just fine.

Best Regards

Guest Samoom

Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me avoid the coward's path of wine or windows partition, I feel like I'm so close. I've followed the NTFS image instructions and have finally gotten the install script to run, but now I'm hitting a couple of errors during component installation. The most common one is

ERROR: Failure("Unknown function: check_label")

I can see this is a function defined in a file in the lib_tools files in the SFO directories, but for some reason they're apparently not being called/defined.

I've also seen an error for resources not being found, like

ERROR: Failure("resource [clabfi04.2da] not found for 'COPY'")

This is on the GOG Linux BGEE, and the latest SCS and Weidu from github.

Thanks for any help!!!

I feel like I had something similar when I was first using "weinstall" - I don't think I've had it since I started using "weinstall directory-name" (aka, "weinstall stratagems") instead of "weinstall ./directory-name" or "weinstall directory-name/" (assuming you aren't having case sensitivity issues - I use ciopfs on an ext4 partition for my setup atm).

Guest Samoom

using "weinstall stratagems --use-lang en_US". I think I'm past case-sensitivity errors - I couldn't get into the install script at all before using the ntfs image (couldn't get ciopfs to work for some reason) - plus these errors seem specific to internal scs stuff, like that function.

4 hours ago, Guest Samoom said:

Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me avoid the coward's path of wine or windows partition, I feel like I'm so close. I've followed the NTFS image instructions and have finally gotten the install script to run, but now I'm hitting a couple of errors during component installation. The most common one is

Samoon,

If you're doing this with the NTFS instructions you should be good, with a caveat --

I'm able to run BG with mods on Linux with the NTFS partition, but any version of WeiDu past 2.46 simply doesn't work for me.  The down-side to this, is that EET past 1.0RC12.2 and SCS past 33.4 don't work with this version of WeiDu.

I submitted a detailed bug report to the WeiDu Github and it got quickly deleted as something resulting from "operator error" - but I'm not new to this, and the utility stopped working for me past that specific version.

(The ZFS option may be better than NTFS.  The process used by NTFS/fuse would die with "transport endpoint not connected" when using WeiDu to install the first "EET" component which puts a heavy load on the disk.  NTFS seems to work properly now with kernels past 5.15.)

Edited by Axatax
Guest Samoom

Ok, I tried using 2.45/6 and 33.3/4 but no avail; now I get

ERROR: Failure("Unknown function: check_ini")

I'm not sure if that's progress, but it doesn't feel like it. Thanks for the suggestion though, Axatax.

I'll look into ZFS, though. Or maybe I'll just learn whatever the hell scs is written in (OCaml?) and debug it myself, that's probably almost as fun as playing BG.

Greetings!

I just want to share my own solution here. After reading some of the guides and Googling, which just led to outdated information, I was not satisfied with the solutions to get mods functioning on Linux. I am not trying to sound unappreciative to those who wrote some of these guides, I just wanted the most uncomplicated solution. A solution that does not involve proprietary software or filesystems (NTFS) or anything not native to Linux. I also did not want to deal with creating a whole new ext4 partition.

How to get Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition mods (Steam version) working on Linux:

## Case-sensitive and case-insensitive game folder

1. Install ciopfs. This is a free tool that can mount a case-insensitive directory to a case-sensitive one on Linux. It can be installed through your package manager or downloaded from here

2. Download WeiDU-Linux and extract the folder to Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition

3. Add this line to your .bashrc file: `export PATH=~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ II\ Enhanced\ Edition/WeiDU-Linux:$PATH` This will all you to run weinstall at anytime, instead of writing an annoyingly long line involving `export PATH`

4. Make a backup of your game folder in case anything goes wrong. On Ubuntu/Debian systems it can be found here: `~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common` Rename Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition to Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.original

5. Make a directory (mkdir) called ci-data-Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition

6. Make a second directory called Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition

7. run ciopfs ci-dataBaldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition (you now will have 2 of the exact same folders, but one is case-sensitive in lowercase and one is case-insensitive)

8. Copy the game files from Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.original to Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition (cp -r Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.original Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition)

9. Run the game through Steam. If you followed the steps correctly, it should launch without issue.

## Installing mods

1. Download any mod you like and extract it to ci-data-Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition (this is the case-sensitive directory all in lowercase)

2. Open a terminal in that directory and install your mod using weinstall. Example: `weinstall cdtweaks`

3. Success!

## Notes:

- I have read that some people reported performance problems using ciopfs. I have not noticed any. I am running a 9 year old Intel Core i5 quad core for reference. My GPU is an RX 570.

- Steam achievements work! I don't see why they wouldn't, but if this is important to you, now you know.

- There is no need to use Steam's 'Verify Integrity of game files' at any point. The case-sensitive directory in lowercase mirrors the original game folder after running ciopfs. It won't break anything.

- After a restart or shutdown, you will need run the ciopfs command again or the game will not launch. Why? Because the mounted, mirrored folder, disappears after reboot. I don't mind because I leave my computer running 24/7, but if this is a problem for you, consider auto-mounting the folder on boot.

I hope this helps someone and if you have any questions just ask!

Edited by LV426

I found out the hard way (accidentally letting steam verify file integrity) NOT to launch game from Steam, or keep it in the steam game dir location - it'll happily ruin your mod install to restore the original files.

If you want achievements, I like the A7-Achievements mod + running game separate from Steam (basically, by copying out the entire game dir).

Granted, if you enjoy steam achievements, what you say makes sense - just make sure not to do anything that triggers file integrity check/re-download of game from steam.

Hi! I'm trying to get WeiDU working on Linux Mint 19.3 using this guide: here. However, I can't get it installed properly. I get this message in the terminal if I try to access it:

weidu: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by weidu)

This is caused by a missing library, specifically libc6. WeiDU spits upon version 2.27 of this library, but the one it demands (2.29) isn't really "supposed" to be installed on Mint 19. There is a workaround, but there's disagreement about whether it would break things. Would this be solved by upgrading to Mint 20? Is there a safe previous release of WeiDU I can use, or a way to get it to accept my sad peasant version of this library? Have I even given you guys the information you need to help me with this problem?

I'm still pretty new at tackling issues like this on a Linux system, and I'd appreciate some advice. I love mods and the spirit of modding and I'm itching to get into it with BGEE. Thanks 🙃