The Tougher Five

Kish

I'm curious about how well Tougher Sendai fits in with the rest of the Tougher Five, in the opinion of people who generally play with both Tougher Sendai and at least one of David Gaider's tougher boss mods installed. I'm not asking how well she fits in with Tactics--she's not meant to fit in with Tactics--just how well she fits in with Gaider's tougher bosses (Tougher Abazigal, Tougher Illasera, Tougher Yaga-Shura, Tougher Gromnir, and Tougher Demogorgon).

Guest Belboz
I'm curious about how well Tougher Sendai fits in with the rest of the Tougher Five, in the opinion of people who generally play with both Tougher Sendai and at least one of David Gaider's tougher boss mods installed.  I'm not asking how well she fits in with Tactics--she's not meant to fit in with Tactics--just how well she fits in with Gaider's tougher bosses (Tougher Abazigal, Tougher Illasera, Tougher Yaga-Shura, Tougher Gromnir, and Tougher Demogorgon).

I've just started trying to fight Sendai--just 2 tries so far, but for now I can say that she's PWNZ0Ring me. Completely and utterly. And this is on Normal. Of course, Tougher Abazigal took me about 5 tries to beat, so this fits in pretty well with him. And with tougher Demogorgon, too. She's much, *much* harder than tougher Illasera*, Gromnir, or Yaga, though.

Am I correct that the "statue" part of the fight is no harder than the original? I'm having a pretty easy time with the statues, but as soon as the real Sendai stands up, it's a madhouse. 4 copies of her, all running around at once, immune to almost everything...it's going to take some pretty careful tactics to beat, I think. Unless I'm going about it all wrong.

*This is assuming you continue from SoA and start with a full party of ~17th level. I've never once beaten tougher Illasera with a new ToB character.

I've just started trying to fight Sendai--just 2 tries so far, but for now I can say that she's PWNZ0Ring me. Completely and utterly. And this is on Normal. Of course, Tougher Abazigal took me about 5 tries to beat, so this fits in pretty well with him. And with tougher Demogorgon, too. She's much, *much* harder than tougher Illasera*, Gromnir, or Yaga, though.

Well, I was aiming for Tougher Abazigal level, so that sounds pretty good.

Am I correct that the "statue" part of the fight is no harder than the original?

Yes, I didn't change that part.

Guest Belboz

To follow up:

I did beat Sendai, on the next try (though still on Normal). I think she fits in very well with the tougher Abazigal; quite challenging but not impossible. The way I did it:

SPOILERS:

The important thing is to conserve spells and greater whirlwinds during the statue battles. I just had my tank (Keldorn) go after Sendai, one hit at a time, while my main character (a monk) and devas summoned through Aerie's PIs held off the drow elite guards, and Kelsey's PIs did nasty Time Stop-IA-Comets-etc. (PI cheese--if you think it's cheese--was, in other words, pretty crucial to my strategy.)

Then, and this was the big trick: When the real Sendai appeared, I concentrated on her, *ignoring* her projected images. This was very, very important. After Sendai casts PI, her real body is effectively helpless (well, except for her fairly nasty buffs, but you can basically wait those out and hit her however you can in the meantime). More Kelsey PIs can use comets etc to take care of fallen devas and the invisible stalkers, and if you're lucky (as I was), you can actually kill Sendai before her apprentices start showing up.

If you run around chasing Sendai's projected images while they twist their onyx rings and create more of themselves, you're basically doomed. She'll eat your party for lunch before you really even hurt her.

Guest Guest

BTW, if you wanted to make her even nastier--have each PI cast invisibility on the previous one (and have the first PI cast invisibility on the original) right after being created. Combined with her Immunity:Divination, this would make her effectively immune to my tactic above.

Archived