Reducing install time

Hello DavidW,

during my infinite amount of Mega Installations, I notice that SCS install time was greatly increased between 28-30, it could be also results of new weidu fixes/changes etc. I've using the same PC for last 3 years, (i5, 2xSSD, 16GB) and SCS part of installation take huge amount of time when the AI code is trying to modify all creatures from other mods. Could you take some time to improve installation times, atleast for EE engine? Could you use lua language to replace some weidu macros to gain speed? K4thos already did it for EET to reduce amount of memory which weidu use so maybe it could serve also for speed?

Hello DavidW,

during my infinite amount of Mega Installations, I notice that SCS install time was greatly increased between 28-30, it could be also results of new weidu fixes/changes etc. I've using the same PC for last 3 years, (i5, 2xSSD, 16GB) and SCS part of installation take huge amount of time when the AI code is trying to modify all creatures from other mods. Could you take some time to improve installation times, atleast for EE engine? Could you use lua language to replace some weidu macros to gain speed? K4thos already did it for EET to reduce amount of memory which weidu use so maybe it could serve also for speed?

The short answer is probably not.

The long answer is that I test SCS on clean or lightly-modded versions of vanilla BG2 and BGEE/BG2EE, and if the install time stays below 20 minutes or so on a reasonably fast PC, I'm contentthat it's not a serious issue and I'd rather prioritise other things. Active support for a short install on megamodded installations is a bit beyond what I really support - I don't have megamodded installs as my main target. That said, if someone looks at the code and identifies specific ways to speed any given bit up, I'm happy to listen. (Though I don't recommend anyone puts the time in until v31 comes out as there are some significant under-the-hood changes - some of which will probably speed things up, others not!)

Hello DawidW

I m seconding alien wish : with EET and some mod the install time of Stratagems is important ( some hours ), and give sometimes "out of memory" error

See my reply to Alien. I don't use megamod installations myself and supporting quick installs on them is not a priority, absent detailed and specific advice as to how.

K4tos seems to have find a way of reducing memory usage using LUA

I don't know if it is applicable to Stratagems but it (quoting K4thos) "call lua.exe from within weidu to handle all regexp stuff for BAF and D files during installation"

But I don't know any lua and I'm not likely to learn any time soon.

Edited by DavidW

Community took various attempts in order to eliminate this problem:

1. Provide windows wiedu 64-bit: according to wisp, OCaml support for Wnidows 64-bit is very poor ( who's fault is? ) so it's not possible to compile windows wiedu 64-bit binary

2. Enable windows weidu 32-bit Large Address Aware setting - wisp didin't agree to do it because 'some things might broke'

3. People manually sets Large Address Aware setting with CFF Explorer - SCS doesn't display error but Bhaal only know if the macros/tp2 code actually do what they suppose to do

4. Use cygwin to install SCS using Linux weidu 64-bit - require linux know-how, installation time is 5x slower, so 1h for AI become 5h

5. Use Windows Subsystem for Linux - require linux know-how, installation time is 10x slower, installing first component "Initialise mod" took 11 minutes while on Windows 32-bit took one minute!

It has been more than a year, since "wait for SCS 31", no indication that it will be released anytime soon.

It looks like all big EET installation are doomed, unless somebody take look at the wiedu macros and convert them into LUA :(

Edited by ALIENQuake

As I've mentioned elsewhere, one way to reduce install-time for the AI component is to skip processing spells in clab tables that don't need to be processed. Basically, letting mods that add such spells opt out of use by SCS. Thry could be added to a "no-go" .2da list, and SCS could skip any spells on that list. Something like that.