SCS installation via BWS, out of memory issue, manual installation

Hi Guys, Can you tell how safe am I with such installation:

During BWS installation(with EET in mind) I got infamous "out of memory" ("Smarter Priests" installation and some components after).

Tried again with no effect and than I paused BWS installation and manually installed "corrupted" components via scs setup and resumed BWS installation after with no problems.

Or it's better to post in "Mega Mod Help" thread?

Actually there is not much to report. You solved the problem, you have managed your install

The SCS issue is known but not resolved. There is nothing BWS can do about it as it is SCS and the way the mod maker does not bother to improve the issue of larger installs.

Even your appropriate method of resolving the problem is known already.

Happy gaming.

I'm having this exact problem now myself. I'm wondering what it means here to 'pause' the BWS install, because that suggests a direct, manual pausing of the BWS process, where what I'm looking at is just indirectly leaving the BWS process alone after the 2nd failure to install SCS (leaving it at the prompt for ®etry, ©ontinue, or (e)xit), manually installing SCS, and then returning to the BWS process and selecting ©ontinue.

Is this the right way to go about it?

Edited by Daelomin

I think the OP actually manually paused BWS at some point, but (I don't know if you are aware of this), you can order a pre-emptive pause when you are choosing your mods in BWS. Just find SCS, right click, and choose "Pause before the mod", and then continue as you see fit. It might just be that pausing the BWS for a moment before mods that heavily modify files (tweaks, BP, SCS) will be enough to solve the problem (ie. Out of Memory actually means Out of Memory). I recall having a similar problem when installing a megamod on a machine that was more than enough for BG2, but evidently underpowered for BWS with SCS.

I'm having this exact problem now myself. I'm wondering what it means here to 'pause' the BWS install, because that suggests a direct, manual pausing of the BWS process, where what I'm looking at is just indirectly leaving the BWS process alone after the 2nd failure to install SCS (leaving it at the prompt for ®etry, ©ontinue, or (e)xit), manually installing SCS, and then returning to the BWS process and selecting ©ontinue.

Is this the right way to go about it?

I think the OP actually manually paused BWS at some point, but (I don't know if you are aware of this), you can order a pre-emptive pause when you are choosing your mods in BWS. Just find SCS, right click, and choose "Pause before the mod", and then continue as you see fit. It might just be that pausing the BWS for a moment before mods that heavily modify files (tweaks, BP, SCS) will be enough to solve the problem (ie. Out of Memory actually means Out of Memory). I recall having a similar problem when installing a megamod on a machine that was more than enough for BG2, but evidently underpowered for BWS with SCS.

I know these three methods to *pause* BWS and do manual inbetweens

- the pre-select described by enkku

- manually selecting the *Pause* button - BWS will finish what it curretly installs and stop once it has come to *successfully installed yyyy*.

- BWS pauses by itself because of an error or expected manual input/confirmation.

All three work in the same way, you can do your stuff and then commence BWS again.

Well, this sucks. After BWS stopped due to the Out of Memory error I just let it sit paused by itself and then attempted to install SCS via manually executing the 'stratagems.bat' file in the game install directory. After letting it do it's thing for the last, oh, 4 hours or so I can see in the DOS command box that I'm getting all sorts of Out of Memory errors again.

What'd I do wrong? :(

Edit: DOS window completely halted now with a 'FATAL ERROR: Out of Memory' message. Sigh.

Edited by Daelomin

Well, this sucks. After BWS stopped due to the Out of Memory error I just let it sit paused by itself and then attempted to install SCS via manually executing the 'stratagems.bat' file in the game install directory. After letting it do it's thing for the last, oh, 4 hours or so I can see in the DOS command box that I'm getting all sorts of Out of Memory errors again.

Nothing

I always have memory error when installing SCS with EET and a lot of mods, because it seems stratagem use more than 2Go of memory

There are 2 solutions, you must install smarter mage and smarter priest manualy and quit weidu inbetween (but it's boring)

Or enable the "large address aware flag" (only on setup-stratagems.exe) that allow weidu to use ut to 4Go of memory, and i can install everything in one batch

To enable this flag you need a program like ExplorerSuite

Edited by Ikki

Nothing

I always have memory error when installing SCS with EET and a lot of mods, because it seems stratagem use more than 2Go of memory

There are 2 solutions, you must install smarter mage and smarter priest manualy and quit weidu inbetween (but it's boring)

Or enable the "large address aware flag" (only on setup-stratagems.exe) that allow weidu to use ut to 4Go of memory, and i can install everything in one batch

To enable this flag you need a program like ExplorerSuite

Downloaded ExplorerSuite... how do I go about changing this flag, if you don't mind my asking? I opened up setup-stratagems.exe with the CFF Explorer but there doesn't appear to be any obvious LBA flag to enable.

how do I go about changing this flag

Be sure to have the last weidu version for you setup-stratagems.exe, if not weidu will overwrite it with one of the other setup-mymod.exe

Step One: Download Explorer Suite and install it.

Step Two: Open CFF Explorer. On the start menu, it will be under "Explorer Suite".

Step Three: Click on File -> Open, and direct the program to your setup-stratagems.exe

Step Four: Click on the "+" by "NT Headers" if it's not already expanded, then click on "File Header".

Step Five: Don't be intimidated by the table; click on the cell under "Meaning" and across from "Characteristics" that says "Click here".

Step Six: Ignore everything but the checkbox that says "App can handle >2gb address space". Click on it so that it is checked.

Step Seven: Click "OK".

Step Eight: Save, saying "yes" to the text box that pops up asking if you would like to overwrite the file.

Edited by Ikki

how do I go about changing this flag

Be sure to have the last weidu version for you setup-stratagems.exe, if not weidu will overwrite it with one of the other setup-mymod.exe

Step One: Download Explorer Suite and install it.

Step Two: Open CFF Explorer. On the start menu, it will be under "Explorer Suite".

Step Three: Click on File -> Open, and direct the program to your setup-stratagems.exe

Step Four: Click on the "+" by "NT Headers" if it's not already expanded, then click on "File Header".

Step Five: Don't be intimidated by the table; click on the cell under "Meaning" and across from "Characteristics" that says "Click here".

Step Six: Ignore everything but the checkbox that says "App can handle >2gb address space". Click on it so that it is checked.

Step Seven: Click "OK".

Step Eight: Save, saying "yes" to the text box that pops up asking if you would like to overwrite the file.

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully this works....

Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.
Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.
Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.
Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.
Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Smarter general AI (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed with warnings.
Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> All eligible spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal get HLAs; only selected casters in Shadows of Amn do (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.
Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

ERROR: error loading [./override/dw#1gcl5.bcs]
ERROR: error loading [./override/dw#1gcl3.bcs]
ERROR: compiling [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#1gcl3.baf]!
ERROR: [CMSEC10B.CRE] -> [override/CMSEC10B.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Out of memory)
ERROR: error loading [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]
ERROR: Out of memory
Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat (Sword Coast Stratagems) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component again. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent time for that now, you can also continue without the component or exit the program. The BiG World Setup
will continue with the installation of that component.
Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

Edited by deejaa111

Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Smarter general AI (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed with warnings.

Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> All eligible spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal get HLAs; only selected casters in Shadows of Amn do (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat (Sword Coast Stratagems) was installed successfully.

ERROR: error loading [./override/dw#1gcl5.bcs]

ERROR: compiling [stratagems_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#1gcl3.baf]!

ERROR: [CMSEC10B.CRE] -> [override/CMSEC10B.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Out of memory)

ERROR: error loading [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]

ERROR: Out of memory

Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat (Sword Coast Stratagems) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component again. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent time for that now, you can also continue without the component or exit the program. The BiG World Setup

will continue with the installation of that component.

Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

I did as Ikki suggested, however I am unable to install smarter priests and some other changes due to out of memory STILL, but only smart mages was installed.

Edited by deejaa111