SCS installation via BWS, out of memory issue, manual installation

Found the solution. In BWS you have to manually pause after the first component installs, and only then you can set that flag with CFF Explorer, otherwise the proper setup file doesn't exist.

I also deselected "install in batches" at the beginning of the BWS installation. Thanks to these two adjustments, I verified that I get not ONE single error of any kind, installation is perfect ;)

Yet another approach:

Use cygwin to install SCS using Linux weidu 64-bit
- require linux know-how, case-sensitive problems, installation time is 5x slower, so 1h for AI become 5h
Use Windows Subsystem for Linux:
- require linux know-how
- require Windows 10 RS4 17110 or later / Windows 10 RS5 17643 or later
- enable Windows Subsystem for Linux feature, install Ubuntu/Debian from Windows Store
- set you BG partition as case-insensitive:
fsutil.exe file setCaseSensitiveInfo <pathToBG2EE> disable
, this will save you from case-sensitive errors for WSL
- open WSL, download weidu Linux 64-bit, extract binary to /mnt/<windowsDriveLetter><pathToBG2EE>, set executable flag
- install SCS from WSL by executing ./setup-stratagems

But the installation time is 10x slower, installing first component "Initialise mod (all other components require this)" took 11 minutes while on Windows 32-bit took one minute!

Im posting this as it might improve for in next version of WSL but now such solution can't be effectively solution for the "Out of memory" problem.

Edited by ALIENQuake

Yet another approach:

Use cygwin to install SCS using Linux weidu 64-bit
- require linux know-how, case-sensitive problems, installation time is 5x slower, so 1h for AI become 5h
Use Windows Subsystem for Linux:
- require linux know-how
- require Windows 10 RS4 17110 or later / Windows 10 RS5 17643 or later
- enable Windows Subsystem for Linux feature, install Ubuntu/Debian from Windows Store
- set you BG partition as case-insensitive:
fsutil.exe file setCaseSensitiveInfo <pathToBG2EE> disable
, this will save you from case-sensitive errors for WSL
- open WSL, download weidu Linux 64-bit, extract binary to /mnt/<windowsDriveLetter><pathToBG2EE>, set executable flag
- install SCS from WSL by executing ./setup-stratagems

But the installation time is 10x slower, installing first component "Initialise mod (all other components require this)" took 11 minutes while on Windows 32-bit took one minute!

Im posting this as it might improve for in next version of WSL but now such solution can't be effectively solution for the "Out of memory" problem.

Question from an idiot

I have windows 10 but how can I tell that I have Windows 10 RS4 17110 or later / Windows 10 RS5 17643 or late like you require?

@Lem Icebear Open Powershell and execute:

(Get-CimInstance Win32_OperatingSystem).version

if you see 10.0.17110 or 10.0.17643 you can use WSL. But I have to warn you that its very slow. Better way for now is to use Bash for Windows but you have to deal with case-sensitive problems.

Thank you @Alienquake, I have a lower versio16299.

I had not the memory problem but my last installation for EET with BWS took 16 hours but 15 were only for SCS. rest was fast. I was hoping for less time with my next one. I can try the trick with stopping BWS before SCS and do that by hand.

Edited by Lem Icebear