Does anyone know the current status of the BWS?

Ser Elryk

Am i too late to do a full EET install with BWS?

Sorry for the newbie question, but im completely lost without BWS.

How *full* is full?

Some mods have been updated to new versions, e.g. BG1NPCs or the Ajantis mods. You will get errors that BWS failed to patch those mods (regardless of whether the patch is still needed or not).

You may still succeed to do an install but you need to manually overwrite some BWS issues or even stop the BWS and install a mod or two manually. You can do that and afterwards continue with BWS.

BWS is still better than a complete manual install, but it depends a bit on your choice of mods and your overall skills/experiences with modded games. (In case you completely depend on the tool support, you may run into problems.)

Still - you may try it and if in need ask for assistance and help (and by this may help others with the same problem.) Those modders who have updated their contributions are generally also those who are still active on the forum and may help you with issues.

Here's a start, do comment:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dDNC5VueS0nZPBX3YSrVgMlefg9388UoaZxS1_YmfCA/edit#

Bitbucket is being silly, so no concrete example yet.

Phew, there's plenty of patches for Ajantis. Jastey, can you verify which of these are redundant now: https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack/tree/master/BiG%20World%20Fixpack/ajantisbg2

Notes on various offenders:

Here are some
http://www.shsforums...-16#entry594834

Also BGQE.

deprecated:

• Folder / use of _GavinHotfix should be removed (Gavin BG1 and BGII is updated with all changes from the Fixpack)
  • Folder / use of "alternatives" as of v12
  • Folder / use of "RE" as of v12
not deprecated:
  • changes to Sir Ajantis BGII "ajantisbg2" (v14 has no EET comp yet). Fix can be used as-is.

Thank you very much for your work on this.

All those patches for Ajantis are the changes listed in the Changes.txt, it's all for the EET compatibility: change the Chapter variables to OUTER_SPRINTs for EET's continuous chapter system, change the tp2 to include eet and the writing of the chapter outer-sprints.

Short answer: They are all necessary for EET compatibility.

(I apologize for not just releasing an EET compatible version of Ajantis, the problem is that I am working on an update that includes so many (internally) changes that I can't just release it but really need to test it first.)

One question to your tutorial: I guess the size has to be changed manually, too? What exact number do I take here, the one that my WindowsExplorer shows me?

Also, I would need more info than I found here how to actually clone my forked repository from BitBucket to my computer. What I mean is the "SourceTree, Git from the terminal, or any client you like" part for cloning - I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I have a GitHub login and probably also installed some Git terminal, but I am surprisingly dense if it comes to using these things.

Ok.

The size appears to be the download size and is used to determine if a file should be downloaded anew or not. A bandwidth saving measure. The size on disk will vary depending on your partition's block size, so I can't give an answer yet. It's either the true size in bytes or the disk size (likely a bit bigger). If you still have REv11 around, check if its size matches 3452250 and tell me how you found out. It's trivial to see both sizes in linux, but practically nobody is using bws with it.

The git stuff will be part of the example, once bb allows me to login.

Ok.

The size appears to be the download size and is used to determine if a file should be downloaded anew or not. A bandwidth saving measure. The size on disk will vary depending on your partition's block size, so I can't give an answer yet. It's either the true size in bytes or the disk size (likely a bit bigger). If you still have REv11 around, check if its size matches 3452250 and tell me how you found out. It's trivial to see both sizes in linux, but practically nobody is using bws with it.

The git stuff will be part of the example, once bb allows me to login.

I have REv_11.zip and the size matches exactly the 3452250,you have as true size by windows10 explorer when checking the zip archive's attributes. The disk size is bigger - 3.452.928 Bytes - in my case.

PS - downloaded with BWS, Feb 18th 2017.

Ah, if I right-click on the RE_v11.zip in my WindowsExplorer and chose to see the details/properties of this file it gives me the size of the file (3,452,250 Bytes) and the size on my disc, which is higher. So it seems I'll have to use the size of the file that is given there. Good to know!

Roxanne: you were faster.

@jastey

Also, I would need more info than I found here how to actually clone my forked repository from BitBucket to my computer. What I mean is the "SourceTree, Git from the terminal, or any client you like" part for cloning - I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I have a GitHub login and probably also installed some Git terminal, but I am surprisingly dense if it comes to using these things.

I had similar problems (being completely without any knowledge of these magical computer things). Someone pointed me to a tool called *smartgit* (just google for it) some time ago. It was easy to install, fairly easy to learn the basic things, and now I am able to maintain about a dozen mods I have hosted at github.

I use it with github but I understand that it should also work with bitbucket.

(Of course this is just one person's personal experience with the database world).

Yeah, please do write something if there isn't a specific IE guide elsewhere already. It could be linked in this doc. I never used git on windows, so no idea about the guis or chagrins.

I just went ahead and did the fixpack example too. In hindsight it makes more sense this way, so there's less chance for version mismatch bugs.

A few months ago, I did a "BWS demo" in Python with the goal to showcase the possibilities of the language to solve BWS's issues. Don't get any hopes up, it's not any replacement to BWS right now. The goal was to solve some issues like download/extraction in Python to incite the BWS team to do a rewrite in a multi platform/updated language. I'm going to have some free time over the next month and I could work on making something but I'd appreciate if there were volunteers to code a BWS replacement using Python. I've never made big projects before so really I'm asking for help/guidance from people with more experience. Since BWS isn't supported anymore, I don't think we would need to go for feature parity with BWS.

I still have a few exams so i'll check back in a few days if there are people willing to help make a "new BWS" team.

The main feature is the dependency resolver, so I'd start by picking an existing package manager written in python (there are several; gentoo's emerge comes to mind), so there's more time to work on other things. You get both the resolver and all the download/extraction/verification stuff that way almost for free. They may also already have pyqt or other gui frontends too ...

I can help with thinking and review, but not much with coding — want to focus on gemrb again.

Archived