BG2 Fixpack v11 Beta 2 Available

Wow, that must have been a lot of work! I was going to reinstall BGT to update a couple of mods after I finish my current IWD game, this one will go right in.

By the way, does this version fix the illegal dual-wielding in ar18prie.cre? This one can cause a CTD with SCS. More details here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=252697

For this guy in particular, when he runs out of spells he's supposed to use his sling (if nearest enemy is > 4 feet away) or go to melee. He also had the superior weapon in his offhand (mace +1 vs. mace +0), so Fixpack now moves his mace +1 to the main hand and then drops in a shield in the offhand. This allows him to use his scripted ranged and/or melee attacks.

Oh, and as or beta 2's code name...

CamDawg,

if I am not mistaken the Inquisitor's spell Dispel Magic (SPCL231) is missing the header for levels 1-5.

This affects BGT players and may be corrected by the Fixpack (I reported it also to the SR forum but I think it belongs here).

Edited by Salk

From ye olde changelog:

The Dispel Magic ability of inquisitors would dispel at the wrong level when cast at levels 2-6 due to missing headers

A lot of the other kit abilities, namely the cleric kit stuff, also fell down at lower levels for the same reason. They're also fixed in the new beta core.

Sorry for the false alarm.

And to think I read each line of that change log... :(

Wow, that must have been a lot of work! I was going to reinstall BGT to update a couple of mods after I finish my current IWD game, this one will go right in.

By the way, does this version fix the illegal dual-wielding in ar18prie.cre? This one can cause a CTD with SCS. More details here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=252697

For this guy in particular, when he runs out of spells he's supposed to use his sling (if nearest enemy is > 4 feet away) or go to melee. He also had the superior weapon in his offhand (mace +1 vs. mace +0), so Fixpack now moves his mace +1 to the main hand and then drops in a shield in the offhand. This allows him to use his scripted ranged and/or melee attacks.

Oh, and as or beta 2's code name...

Thanks for addressing this one, it has caused quite a bit of grief. I can't install it on my main BGT as I'm in the middle of a new game now and don't want to install all my 70+ mods again, but I'll be sure to test it on a backup I have. EDIT: Done, no new issues found so far.

Here's another small fix for your consideration: For a level 7 caster, Stoneskin creates too many skins. (More than for a level 8 caster!) Details and suggested fix here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28798

Also, regarding this:

The 'Tracking Irenicus' journal entry never goes away

The game is actually a bit schizophrenic about whether this is a true quest or not. In udduer01.d it sets it as an UNSOLVED_JOURNAL in state 10, but as a regular old JOURNAL in state 17 (triggered if you already have Adalon's drow illusion cast on you).

Edited by Angel

Here's another small fix for your consideration: For a level 7 caster, Stoneskin creates too many skins. (More than for a level 8 caster!) Details and suggested fix here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28798

Oh heh, I totally forgot about stoneskin. I remember seeing that a long time ago and I guess I never remembered to drop it into the Fixpack.

Also, regarding this:

The 'Tracking Irenicus' journal entry never goes away

The game is actually a bit schizofrenic about whether this is a true quest or not. In udduer01.d it sets it as an UNSOLVED_JOURNAL in state 10, but as a regular old JOURNAL in state 17 (triggered if you already have Adalon's drow illusion cast on you).

Well spotted; it definitely needs to be consistent between the two states. I'm leaning towards a bogstandard journal entry.

Fixed and fixed, as well as another batch of area orientation fixes.

Oh heh, I totally forgot about stoneskin. I remember seeing that a long time ago and I guess I never remembered to drop it into the Fixpack.

The game is actually a bit schizophrenic about whether this is a true quest or not. In udduer01.d it sets it as an UNSOLVED_JOURNAL in state 10, but as a regular old JOURNAL in state 17 (triggered if you already have Adalon's drow illusion cast on you).

Well spotted; it definitely needs to be consistent between the two states. I'm leaning towards a bogstandard journal entry.

Fixed and fixed, as well as another batch of area orientation fixes.

Again, thanks. And I agree, standard journal entry seems best to me since "Tracking Irenicus" takes pretty much all of the Shadows of Amn part of BG2. :-)

I spotted a bundle of inconsistencies while I was doing stuff for my own mod and for Unfinished Business, but my notes on them are scattered all about. I might come up with a few more things as I remember/find them.

I have at times considered doing my own fixpack, indeed I might actually do one for the BG1 portion of BGT. I just spent three days correcting alignments on BG1 critters so my paladin's HoW-style Smite Evil (and BG2's Holy Smite) will actually affect gnolls and Sarevok's assassins. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your code to correct creature alignments from an editable file. ;-)

Edited by Angel

A small cosmetic one for your consideration:

The Boots of the North (boot03) display the Resist Fire/Cold icon (#26), but Protection from Cold (#25) would be much more appropriate since thet don't give fire resistance and the protection against cold they give is quite significant.

Compare the Ring of Fire Resistance (ring02), and the Potion of Cold Resistance (potn22) which both use the protection icons. This is also the way these boots work in IWD1 (with G3 fixpack).

(Personally I also don't like the Resist Fire/Cold icon, it looks to much like the Protection from Fire icon and it feels redundant to me.)

A few things I came across while I was creating a new sword for a mod:

- The effect file lycnhit2.eff affects vampires, not lycanthropes like you'd expect.

- The effect file undhit2.eff gives a +3 bonus instead of the expected +2.

Impact is likely minimal as there are no items or spells using these in an unmodded game. (lycnhit3.eff, lycnhit4.eff, undhit1.eff and undhit3.eff function like you'd expect)

Edited by Angel

It's stunning to see Baldur's Gate still getting so much TLC, I'm sure many more people appreciate it than the thanks given.

Anyway, I've been thinking about giving Baldur's Gate 1+2 another go sometime, soonish. With BGT, Widescreen, Tweak Pack, Fixpack, Bigger Fonts and likely Unfinished Business.

So I was wondering if anyone would recommend this v11 Beta over v10, or should I just stick with v10.

I remember last time I put it all together in BGT it was around the time of Fixpack v9 and Tweakpack v9 but never got round to adding Unfinished Business and don't really want to mess with the install and risk adding it now. So figured I should just make a new one especially since the updated files. It would just be rather disheartening to hit some big problem half way through such a long run so I'd like to err on the side of caution, unless v11 is fine despite the Beta status.

Thanks.

Well, the thing is unless peolple start using this there won't be enough feedback to really tell whether it's fine in the sense of no game breaking bugs. There is only so much one modder can do to test his/her creation, nothing replaces the ways some players manage to break the mods in the game (I am saying this with the highest regards, because nothing is better to improve a mod than feedback and bugreports).

Let's put it like this: CamDawg put a *lot* of work and dedication into this new version and he surely provided the best and most stable build he could come up with. Now it's on us to give feedback so it can get out of beta status.

EDIT: I totally understand your point, though. I didn't mean to sound pushy, just trying to give some motivation to start a game and trade the surety of a bugfree playthrough with a warm, fuzzy feeling and the knowledge of having contributed to community efforts. :)

Edited by jastey

Don't worry jastey I understand what you mean. Having been a programmer without testers (ie I was also the tester, yay) I completely understand.

Though I don't play the game often, next time would be maybe my 4th time in what's approaching 20 years including incomplete runs. So I don't remember specifics and won't notice anything other than a blatant bug and wouldn't be much help even if the game were very linear. Also since I play it so rarely it would really suck if I end up having to abandon the playthrough half way.

I feel very good about the v11 betas. After seeing how much stuff we caught from v10 during EE development, and especially knowing I'm on my own now for Fixpack, I really tried to rework my QA and be a lot more thorough with double- and triple-checking the code to make sure it was doing what was advertised. You'll note a lot of 'this fix now actually works' paraphrasing in the changelog. :)

That being said, there are always bugs. Always.

I feel very good about the v11 betas...

Thanks for the feedback CamDawg, that sounds reassuring enough. Sounds like I'll give it a go when I manage to get it all together. The main reason for me being so cautious about it was the mention of it being something of a re-write, which has many implications, good and bad.

Will probably be a while before I get dug in, gathered the mods I want but still need to find out about install order/compatibility.

Also still playing Pillar's of Eternity, at last, and a lot of the time while playing it I end up thinking,,,, why am I not playing Baldur's Gate lol. Sure it looks and sounds great but it has some godawful stuff and I don't mean awful like Noober, rather just plain bad but also some good.

Once I get to it I'll try keep an eye open for any bugs and report back if able.

Cheers.

I feel very good about the v11 betas...

Thanks for the feedback CamDawg, that sounds reassuring enough. Sounds like I'll give it a go when I manage to get it all together. The main reason for me being so cautious about it was the mention of it being something of a re-write, which has many implications, good and bad.

Will probably be a while before I get dug in, gathered the mods I want but still need to find out about install order/compatibility.

I'm currently playing BGT with this fixpack, ToBEx, UB, cdtweaks and a few dozen other mods. There was a bit of a rocky start with beta 1, but with beta 2 I have so far not hit anything game breaking (yet). I'm currently about two-thirds into the BG1 portion, having just arrived in the city proper after Cloakwood.

There is one install order issue, you must install bg2fixpack after BGT, see earlier in this thread. I'd totally volunteer to fix this (and several other things, I think BWP has quite the list) in BGT if I could, but I barely understand how that thing even works, not to mention the copyright issues...

Edited by Angel