Guide to EET install for a guy with no time on his hands?

Daelomin

Hey all,

I used to do BG modding back in the day (worked on TDD waaaaay back) and I've kept up with BG into the EE versions etc. over the past few years. However, I'm now hoping to do an EET install with as many mods/moga-mods as I can get to work, but unfortunately since I now have a 9-month old in the house I just do not have the time to read hundreds of forum threads in order to figure out on my own what the best way to go about an install of this magnitude is.

Is anyone willing to help a guy out on the current best practice for getting what I'm looking for? I could really use an escape into the Sword Coast again the odd few minutes a day that I get to myself.

Cheers!

Hey all,

I used to do BG modding back in the day (worked on TDD waaaaay back) and I've kept up with BG into the EE versions etc. over the past few years. However, I'm now hoping to do an EET install with as many mods/moga-mods as I can get to work, but unfortunately since I now have a 9-month old in the house I just do not have the time to read hundreds of forum threads in order to figure out on my own what the best way to go about an install of this magnitude is.

Is anyone willing to help a guy out on the current best practice for getting what I'm looking for? I could really use an escape into the Sword Coast again the odd few minutes a day that I get to myself.

Cheers!

You can check out this tool (while it is still available) to do the majority of the work for you.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows/p1

You still may need to invest and hour or two to familiarize yourself and to construct yourself the large selection you want, but once through this, the tool will do a lot (like downloading latest version of mods, unpacking them, patching/fixing them where needed and then calling the setup-..exe's).

Nope you just install this tool, then just pick game directories and it will make BGT from BG2EE or you can make another directory for it. And thats all, now you have to wait till it downloads, instals, and click some thing you want to pick when it is installing.

Okay so this seems pretty foolproof then, which would obviously be great. Are there any current glaring limitations where manual installations of certain things are required somewhere in the process? And does BWS automatically generate a new huge worldmap etc?

Okay so with BWS will it make an EET install itself starting with just vanilla installs of the EE games (BGEE, SoD, BG2EE), or would I have to somehow make it an EET first and then use the BWS to install mods on top of that?

In a nutshell

1 You have clean installs of BGEE/Sod and BG2EE (if you have Steam or Gog game you patched BGEE with modmerge)

2 You download and start BWS

3 You select the option for an EET install and point the tool to where the base games are - you also define where downloaded mods shall be stored

4 You probably would choose something like *maximum pre-select*

5. You then push a button saying *choose mods and components* to get a list of all you can have

8 You modify the pre-selection to your liking >>> when you are happy you leave that list and the tool will show you conflicts/incompatibilities in your choice. Once you solved them, the fun begins.

This is all described in the link I gave above, including screenshots.

Yes, but its best if you chose your own instalation, you can chose one of the presets and then mod that preset however you want. It does everything automaticly.

If mod has things you can chose, you will be presented with option when current component is installing. Next thing you can chose few components before proceeding to instaling files, just in the same place where are you picking mods to install. Check it yourself. ITs realy easy to understand when you see it.

Okay so this seems pretty foolproof then, which would obviously be great. Are there any current glaring limitations where manual installations of certain things are required somewhere in the process? And does BWS automatically generate a new huge worldmap etc?

Ideally there should be none - fact is there are a few points because mod updates are not always notified to the BWS maintainers or modders host their stuff on inadequate websites. The tool will then ask you for manual input or skipping etc.

EET comes with its own huge worldmap (There is one single worldmap for the whole trilogy with EET) However, there are certain mega-mods in EET that require and enforce installation of the very large BP-BGT_Worldmap instead. Again this is mamaged by BWS.

Okay great, thanks for the assistance. I had started reading some threads from a while back that suggested that BWS was no longer being supported and functionality was compromised as a result, but I guess that's changed somewhere along the way?

I'll be starting an install and for once I think I'm going to backup the entire install folder so that I always have it as a base in the future in case BWS isn't around any more for whatever reason.

but I guess that's changed somewhere along the way?

You should realize, that just like piracy, this comes in waves ... :p

There's people that come, some that leave and some that stay, and while a person can do a lot for the project, there's a lot they can't do alone, and there's circumstances that leave even ALIEN unable to fix a thing. I am told that it's called "real life"TM, but how real that is is just a speculation, as I took the non-red pill, so I never found out.

Archived