EET install using BWS seems to have worked, but game won't launch?

Daelomin

Okay, so I've been trying to get a Mega mod (EET via BWS) going for the past few days after a few hiccups and trying to sort out errors I thought I finally managed to successfully get an install to complete this morning.

Unfortunately this appears to not be the case, as when I try to launch the game via the EET desktop shortcut created during the install, nothing happens. A quick look in Task Manager shows that Baldur.exe is indeed a current process (clocking in at around 12-13 CPU and about 46K memory) but I'm still just staring at my desktop and nothing is coming up.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on? Any suggestions on how I can get this install up and running? I'm eager for another playthrough :(

BiG World Debug.7z

WeiDU.log

One reason that has been reported several times now is that some journal entry from some mod may be coded wrong.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28822&page=6&do=findComment&comment=254643

The tool posted here might help

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28161&page=64&do=findComment&comment=254637

Ok great, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks Roxanne!

Here's the output I'm getting from using that tool:

D:\Games\Baldur's Gate EET BWS>Baldur.exe

INFO: status: 0

INFO: Creating DPWrapper

INFO: Steam not found

INFO: scanning:(0) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/override

INFO: scanning:(1) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/scripts

INFO: scanning:(2) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/sounds

INFO: scanning:(3) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/lang/en_US/sounds

INFO: scanning:(4) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/portraits

INFO: scanning:(5) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/characters

INFO: scanning:(6) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/movies

INFO: scanning:(7) D:/Games/Baldur's Gate EET BWS/lang/en_US/movies

INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/override

INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/scripts

INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/sounds

INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/portraits

INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/characters

INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/movies

INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/override

INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/scripts

INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/sounds

INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/portraits

INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/characters

INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Ric/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/movies

INFO: LUA: UI string not found:

INFO: Error loading menu: [string "function onopen07011758 () ..."]:6: 'then' expected near ')'

INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests

I gather that this is probably due to bg1re. Can it be uninstalled or any other modification done to the install to get it to function, or am I looking at having to completely reinstall from scratch again? :(

If you know to handle Near infinity and you know which is offending string you can edit the error out, It would be in dialog.tlk.

Try to find a string that says

The courtesan Bartus had a very unpleasant incident with a very angry fiancé, but I cannot take care of everything,

(Of course you need to omit the underlined word and replace it with fiance.)

+ some more

The courtesan Bartus had to be saved by me from a very angry fiancé. He took off to Baldur's Gate. He will try to get work in the Low Lantern where he has a friend, Gunther.

The courtesan Bartus had a very unpleasant incident with a very angry fiancé. I guess that idiot didn't expect his last act to be so... final.

Best search for "Bartus the Romantic* there are several journal entries for him.

To be totally honest, I don't really care enough about Romantic Encounters to go into that much depth unless it's absolutely necessary to save myself from having to do another full re-install.

With that in mind, is it at all possible to just uninstall bg1re at this point, or would doing that end up in requiring the full redo?

To be totally honest, I don't really care enough about Romantic Encounters to go into that much depth unless it's absolutely necessary to save myself from having to do another full re-install.

With that in mind, is it at all possible to just uninstall bg1re at this point, or would doing that end up in requiring the full redo?

My hint was not intended to repair a mod but to repair dialog.tlk in a section that hinders the GUI to load. And we are not even sure if those are the right lines that I quoted. I am just trying to provide options of where to look, I cannot analyse the whole problem from afar.

Just what I would do in your place - see if those lines are in your game, If yes, repair them, See if it helps. If not, re-install.

My hint was not intended to repair a mod but to repair dialog.tlk in a section that hinders the GUI to load. And we are not even sure if those are the right lines that I quoted. I am just trying to provide options of where to look, I cannot analyse the whole problem from afar.

Just what I would do in your place - see if those lines are in your game, If yes, repair them, See if it helps. If not, re-install.

No instances of "Bartus" in my dialog.tlk. What I do have though are a bunch of black "NUL" entries, which I don't think are supposed to be there (when opened in Notepad++).

post-7812-0-04653800-1500584804_thumb.png

No instances of "Bartus" in my dialog.tlk. What I do have though are a bunch of black "NUL" entries, which I don't think are supposed to be there (when opened in Notepad++).

You can't assume that the dialog.tlk open with a #¤%& text editor, hello someone has been sleeping for their whole life to assume this, cause you need to open the file with a correct tool like the Near Infinity... or at least extract the dialog.tlk file with it to a .txt format, with it or the DLTCEP.

The nul's are there for reasons that involve data handling... in hexadecimal files, just like every other file your computer has. Try and open the baldur.exe with Notepad++, it will likely give you a lot of the nul's too. Just for the record.

You can't assume that the dialog.tlk open with a #¤%& text editor, hello someone has been sleeping for their whole life to assume this, cause you need to open the file with a correct tool like the Near Infinity... or at least extract the dialog.tlk file with it to a .txt format, with it or the DLTCEP.

The nul's are there for reasons that involve data handling... in hexadecimal files, just like every other file your computer has. Try and open the baldur.exe with Notepad++, it will likely give you a lot of the nul's too. Just for the record.

Sorry to have offended your sensitive disposition. I thought I was referring to what someone mentioned in this comment (http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28822&p=254648) but clearly I was mistaken.

Like i write you on SHS, your game is not loading because your GUI may be corrupted

Cannot patch UI.MENU
ERROR: [ui.menu] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Cannot patch UI.MENU"))
Stopping installation because of error.

That's why the mod reveal hidden gameplay options give you thoses errors

If an install give you errors, it's best to start a new one with less mods

Based on looking for black characters in Notepad++ as outlined in the post I linked in my comment above this one, I've found one culprit so far:

Sarah, is here! Let's go inside, I need to see her!Don't worry, we'll sneak away before she notices - otherwise she surely wants to come with ús once again.

One reason that has been reported several times now is that some journal entry from some mod may be coded wrong.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28822&page=6&do=findComment&comment=254643

The tool posted here might help

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28161&page=64&do=findComment&comment=254637

Ok great, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks Roxanne!

Here's the output I'm getting from using that tool:

D:\Games\Baldur's Gate EET BWS>Baldur.exe

INFO: status: 0

INFO: Creating DPWrapper

INFO: Steam not found

INFO: LUA: UI string not found:

INFO: Error loading menu: [string "function onopen07011758 () ..."]:6: 'then' expected near ')'

INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests

I gather that this is probably due to bg1re. Can it be uninstalled or any other modification done to the install to get it to function, or am I looking at having to completely reinstall from scratch again? :(

again, the game crashed during quest initialization, so it's not due to GUI but likely some mod that use ADD_JOURNAL It's unrelated to EET. This can be confirmed by opening up BGEE.LUA located in override directory and removing every "createQuest" and "createEntry" lines below "function buildQuestsTable()". If the game can be started after this than problematic string can be found by re-adding those lines in portions - long and annoying work.

Okay I got the game to launch finally after a fresh install with some changed mods, as well as some light editing of certain characters in the dialog.tlk file. Everything looked good through character creation and I played through the Candlekeep intro and got to the point of witnessing Gorion's death. imoen has joined up with me, as has Sandrah.

Now I have an issue with spellbooks with Sandrah, however. The game interface indicates that she should be able to memorize 5 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells, but in reality I can only get 4 level 1 spells and 0 level 2. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue and how to fix it?

So close yet so far!

EDIT: tried to upload current debug log and WeiDU log, but I'm getting an 'exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments' error.

BiG World Debug (https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jr9ka8spqvedfs/BiG%20World%20Debug.7z?dl=0)

WeiDU.log (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s1p6ab50io9iz7/WeiDU.log?dl=0)

Archived