IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

I always wondered how many points were actually useful, since the default is 0 to 100, and if you count 0 as a point in of itself, that's 101 points. Turns out, neither 0 or 100 were counted. Not much you can do about it - right now, an item that has a 15% chance of an effect uses percentage points 0 to 15, which is effectively 15/99, or 15.15-%. 14/99 would be 14.14-%, which is less accurate, so I don't think this really changes much. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
50 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I always wondered how many points were actually useful, since the default is 0 to 100, and if you count 0 as a point in of itself, that's 101 points. Turns out, neither 0 or 100 were counted. Not much you can do about it - right now, an item that has a 15% chance of an effect uses percentage points 0 to 15, which is effectively 15/99, or 15.15-%. 14/99 would be 14.14-%, which is less accurate, so I don't think this really changes much. Thanks for letting me know, though.

Not quite; it's 0-99 inclusive as 0 is a legitimate roll. That item that uses 0-15 for its probabilities has a 16% chance of its effect--percentile rolls of 0, 1, 2, ... 13, 14, 15 will all trigger it. 

Duh, yes, you're right - reading comprehension is overrated. Okay, well...um...I'll put that on the to-do list. Dang it, I don't want to fix that, but I guess I gotta.

(e): I'm pretty sure both IR and SR have both used 0% as a way to "disable" stuff as well before, though I've mostly stripped such unused effects in both IRR and SRR. Interesting to think about. Guess if you want to keep an effect around but disable it, you should actually be doing 100-100.

Edited by Bartimaeus

For items and spells that use 0-X as their probability, Fixpack uses an automated batch patch for it. You can feed items and spells into this:

COPY_EXISTING ~foo~ ~override~  READ_ASCII 0x00 type (3)
  SET min_size = 0
  PATCH_IF ("%type%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "spl" = 0) BEGIN
    READ_LONG  0x64 abil_off ELSE 0
    READ_SHORT 0x68 abil_num ELSE 0
    READ_LONG  0x6a fx_off   ELSE 0
    SET counter_offset = 0x70
    SET abil_length    = 0x28
    SET global_loop    = 0
    SET fx_type        = 0
    SET min_size       = 0x72
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%type%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "itm" = 0) BEGIN
    READ_LONG  0x64 abil_off ELSE 0
    READ_SHORT 0x68 abil_num ELSE 0
    READ_LONG  0x6a fx_off   ELSE 0
    SET counter_offset = 0x70
    SET abil_length    = 0x38
    SET global_loop    = 1
    SET fx_type        = 0
    SET min_size       = 0x72
/*  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%type%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "cre" = 0) BEGIN
    READ_LONG  0x2c4 fx_off ELSE 0
    READ_BYTE 0x33 fx_type ELSE 2
    SET abil_off       = 0
    SET abil_num       = 0
    SET counter_offset = 0x2c8
    SET abil_length    = 0
    SET global_loop    = 1
    SET min_size       = 0x2d4
    SET cosmetic       = 0 */
  END
  PATCH_IF ((SOURCE_SIZE >= min_size) AND (min_size != 0)) BEGIN // min_size must get set by file type detection
    FOR (index = (0 - global_loop) ; index < abil_num ; ++index) BEGIN
      PATCH_IF (index < 0) BEGIN // if loop through globals needed
        SET abil_fx_idx = 0
      END ELSE BEGIN // otherwise normal ability
        SET counter_offset = (abil_off + 0x1e + (abil_length * index))
        READ_SHORT  (abil_off + 0x20 + (abil_length * index)) abil_fx_idx
      END
      READ_SHORT counter_offset counter // fx_num on global loop, otherwise abil_fx_num
      // run one pass purely looking for keys
      FOR (index2 = 0 ; index2 < counter ; ++index2) BEGIN
        PATCH_FOR_EACH offset IN 0x12 0x13 BEGIN
          READ_BYTE  (fx_off + offset + (offset * fx_type) + ((abil_fx_idx + index2) * (0x30 + (0xd8 * fx_type)))) prob
          PATCH_IF (prob > 0) AND (prob < 100) BEGIN
            WRITE_BYTE  (fx_off + offset + (offset * fx_type) + ((abil_fx_idx + index2) * (0x30 + (0xd8 * fx_type)))) (prob - 1)
          END
        END
      END
    END
  END
  BUT_ONLY

For other stuff, generally a few simple ALTER_EFFECTs work, e.g.

// fire damage probabilities incorrect
COPY_EXISTING ~blun26.itm~   ~override~ // club of detonation +3 needs 4 probabilities adjusted - fix separately
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_probability1 = 20 match_probability2 = 0 probability1 = 19 END // fire damage should be 20% of hits, not 21% (0-19)
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_probability1 = 27 match_probability2 = 20 probability1 = 26 END // fireball should be 7% of hits, not 8%, not overlap with fire damage (20-26)
  BUT_ONLY

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

(e): I'm pretty sure both IR and SR have both used 0% as a way to "disable" stuff as well before, though I've mostly stripped such unused effects in both IRR and SRR. Interesting to think about. Guess if you want to keep an effect around but disable it, you should actually be doing 100-100.

Yep, the 0-0 is what Fixpack used to do before DELETE_EFFECT. We'd get the occasional report of the effect firing anyway and couldn't figure out why until we realized this.

1 minute ago, CamDawg said:

Yep, the 0-0 is what Fixpack used to do before DELETE_EFFECT. We'd get the occasional report of the effect firing anyway and couldn't figure out why until we realized this.

Heh, doesn't sound fun to test either, although I guess you could've just cheated and mass copy+pasted the effect like a hundred times all with the 0-0 chance to see if it ever happened within a few tries, but that's much easier to say in hindsight already knowing what the problem is.

Haha. Speaking of feeling dumb, I thought it'd be fun to test doing exactly what I just proposed, so I made a 5 missile Magic Missile cast a subspell that created 5 more magic missiles at 0-100% frequency, then the effect of the subspell was to do 100 damage at 100-100 chance, then copy+pasted the cast opcode like 200 times. Sat there for like a minute while the game played at sub-1 FPS while having literally about a thousand magic missiles on screen at once, and yep, no damage. Not sure what I expected.

(e): And then I tried 0-0, and exploded into bloody chunks. Wonderful, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus

Cause the patch interrupted my last try/run in BG2:EE,plus I was further drawn to other stuff and so on ^^ Was bored again and now with patch 2.5 and IRR / SRR (1.0.11) + SCS and am having a blast!

Your item changes are so much fun and re-introduce new cool stuff.... some minor thingies/ideas and possibly some weird text, cause my mind jumps for a bit...err yeah.

- Overall the ranged weapon changes are awesome, while some would probably argue to reduce a bow's ApR down to 1.5, I think and experience (!) that it's well suited. (crit on a 18-20 .. yeah!)

- Pixie-thrower of burning awesomeness (Crimson Dart) .. Sometimes I do think, it does a tad bit too much damage, specially in the hands of untrained henchmen (or proficient)

- quiver/case o' plenty rather easy obtainable, but the bag o' plenty can only be salvaged in ToB and rather late - could be maybe re-positioned -> see next

- slings: the +1 ApR sling is fun, but lacks cheap fodder ammo. Also with all the changes done to this type of weapon (...some for the better: STR anyone?), they feel like a lackluster.

Experimented for a bit with the +1 and +3 ammo bag, but still no real challenge for the dart. Might matter in ToB, but definitely not SoA.

I am not even sure, why I bring this up - cause I never really considered slings to be a weapon of my choice. Dragon Tooth should also be the better choice.

Just sayin' ...:)

- +1 dex item (Ring of the Burglar) | I do get the increase in thieving skills but going from 19 dex to 20 changes nothing further. (thac0, AC ..). Modded the ring to give +2 dex instead, and everything was changed to reflect the 20(21) DEX. The Gauntlets of dex are working fine, but they come already with +2. (edit: natural 19: elf multi-pass mage/thief and a robe, so only items which don't reduce speed/dex *double-checked*!))

- the good ol' Celestial...the stun procc is *awesome*! I just got it in my current game (so much fun with patch 2.5 and the latest revisions of thy mods!) and it's a game-changer. Some ppl might need to have a bigger number on their enchantment to compensate (..who knows ^^) but CeleFury remains awesome and +3 works for nearly anything. Else there is magic...and it's a legandary sword!

Iit was mentioned to give it the resistance it should have, but only maybe 50% towards electricity (immunity would make the weapon insanely powerful in terms of bg2 enchantments). On the other hand, the player needs something powerful once in a while ^^. Gave mine 50% resistance with no other change and it works out ~well; might need to reduce the spell-ST required, cause in a 3 ApR warrior's hand the weapon is just amazing.

- FoA +x/y/z . the slow-procc happens too rarely and could be increased to 2 rounds instead (also various effects have -1% chance to happen ^^ nice topic)

- clubs;  d4 is too low and Blackblood should get its +3 back, cause it is harder to obtain than other +2 - +4 weapons. There are those kind of ppl, who prefer a steady club over +1/2 ApR :)

- prot. from critical hits: I changed some helmets, so I'm not sure, which one had protection already enabled in your mod: Helm of Defense (no change - it's a helm of 'defense'!); Dragon Helmet (+2 AC/ crit immune - friggin' sturdy piece of dragon armor), enhanced Helm of the Rock (sounds very defensive to me) + Baldurs (legendary?)

That's it for now ... (I do hope, it's readable...)

Edited by valky

I play with Watcher's Keep disabled until ToB, just because you'd have to remove just about everything from that first floor since going there in SoA and immediately looting everything will pretty much break SoA games. I know that Watcher's Keep has been historically accessible in both SoA and ToB, but it really shouldn't have ever been for balance purposes, so I'm probably not going to relocate Crimson Dart, (x) of Plenty, et. al. I leave it up to the player whether they want to abuse it or install SCS's Watcher's Keep SoA disable subcomponent.

Blackblood: Not my nerf, but presumably was made +2 to account for its strong elemental (well, acidic) damage and the fact that it's easily obtainable.

Ring of the Burglar: IR changed flat set-to stat increases (e.g. Gauntlets of Ogre Strength setting to 18) to simple bonuses, which are arguably harder to balance in a lot of ways. It makes more sense for this style of stat bonuses to go with 3rd Edition style stats where 1 point can indeed make a difference, but I understand that people like their wacky, nonlinear stats that break the game as soon as you start stacking them.

Slings: I would not be opposed to giving slings like an inherent 0.5-1 ApR bonus, but I've generally avoided trying to introduce big weapon changes like that, since IR is not really my mod and therefore should stay relatively true to IR.

Helms: Yeah, I've never been a hundred percent certain what to do with helms in regards to the "remove critical hits from helms subcomponent". I like the idea, because everyone in the party always being immune to critical hits is pretty stupid, but the subcomponent doesn't really offer anything in return for you losing it (and it does disproportionately affect the party), and that's kind of weird.

Flail of Ages: %s still to be fixed, and the slow effect IMO is a bit stronger than the THAC0 or AC penalties, which is why it got a shorter duration. And actually, the percentage of each thing happening has already increased from standard IR already, since e.g. the +3 FoA in IR was a 20% chance for each effect, while in IRR, it's 33%.

Unfortunately, yes. The new forum software broke the link to the post, and I can't seem to figure out how to link to a particular post anymore at all. I would've thought it should be clicking on the "Posted (x) ago" link in the top left of each post, but I try to do that and it just links to the end of the first page over and over and not to the correct post. I also think the Big Fixpack version of the patch that I attempted to add to the Fixpack doesn't fully work, at least that I saw when testing it. I should probably correct that someday.

So I've updated the bottom of the main post with a direct link to the zip file from github.

@DrAzTiK Thanks for the Ring of Human Influence spot (I'm surprised I didn't notice before!). As for Ring of Djinni Summoning...even if I wanted to add something (and I'm not sure that I do), nothing fits with its concept. :shrug: A +2 wisdom bonus would be way too powerful, anyways (since wisdom gives a bunch of bonus spells, I've always been very careful not to add wisdom to very many things).

Edited by Bartimaeus

ok no problem and up to you for ring of djin summoning.

Wisdom +2 would only add 2 spells, not the end of the world Imo. Also considering the wish spell need a good wisdom, it would make sense to give this bonus to this ring. But yes maybe it would not fit the concept.

Edited by DrAzTiK