IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

Err...not really? If you tried, any stuff that edited them later in your mod order (e.g. the Weapon Changes component) would not apply to them. Additionally, their descriptions would reference the wrong strings. :( You could use DLTCEP to add them in yourself, of course: that would be the simplest method, if you have any familiarity with the tool. But yeah, V1.11h is not released yet - I'm looking at some of the other bonus merchant items and deciding what, if anything, should be done with them before releasing.

Edited by Bartimaeus

V1.12 released.

1. EE's Maces of Disruption graphics from have been restored for the EEs.

2. Various flails (such as all the Flail of Ages variants) have now had their graphics restored on the EEs.

3. Various color fixes for helms and shields for the EEs - further testing would be welcome.

4. Better and more distinct colors for all weapons have been restored (both EEs and non-EEs).

5. Some items have new .bams: Aegis-fang +3 was cleaned up, Mercykiller Ring gets the mentioned above graphic, Sensate Amulet gets an unused graphic for the time being, Harmonium Halberd uses the original Halberd +3 graphics (unused in the EEs and 1PP), Scarlet Ninja-To gets its own new custom .bam and colors (grey handle with a sort of dull red blade), some two-handed swords had their .bams shuffled around a little (this was done because I noticed that 1pp was mistakenly overwriting Harbinger's original golden and black .bam, leading to two-handed sword graphics being artificially stretched thin, which was further alleviated as I have restored the original Gram the Sword of Grief graphics...except rotated and re-done with a proper shadow, which then lead to Joril's Dagger getting the old Gram the Sword of Grief graphics, which lead to World's Edge getting its original BG1 graphics back - overall, the effect should be that there are better 2HS graphics).

6. Aegis-fang +3 gets its form-switching ability fixed.

7. The upgradeable one-handed swords (e.g. Angurvadal +5, Short Sword of Mask +5, etc.) get their unique graphics back. Varscona +2 (and possibly a few others) also gets its correct graphics back.

8. Unholy Reaver +5's icon was fixed (was horribly misaligned).

9. Possibly a couple of other things I can't remember right this second.

(edit): V1.12a to be released.

1. For EE games, you now have the option of choosing whether you want forced colors on shields and helmets when installing the main component (borrowed from 1PP since there's not really any other clean way of doing it - the EEs already have all the resources since they've already had 1PP pre-installed, so it's just a matter of re-patching them to take advantage of it without totally breaking every item for non-EE/1pp games). I believe on vanilla, it's set to "yes for magical items/no for non-magical", but whichever option you choose should work. (e): Now externalized to the settings.ini.

2. Saving Grace +3 now gets its correct .bam on the EEs.

3. Kiel's Buckler should now get its correct animation and icon (the smaller bronze circular looking one) on EEs.

4. Helm of Defense was using the wrong animation.

5. Ravager +5 and Staff of the Magi +5 now correctly get their unique icons (distinct from the +4 variants).

6. Finally located a home for Mauler's Arm that I'm happy with: if you're using Stores Revisions, it's now on Pitre, one of the hostile clerics in the Bridge abandoned house fight. Besides one Bracers of AC 7, I always thought it was weird that you basically got nothing for fighting them - now you do. It's a bonus that they're actually somewhat difficult early in SoA if playing with SCS. It has consequently been removed from the Copper Cornet store and reverted back to being a +1 weapon.

7. Touched up Gram (DLTCEP_2018-01-14_23-37-32.png).

8. Fixes Ring of Opportunity being marked as an "item of protection" (I was pretty sure I had fixed this in the past already, but I guess not).

9. A few more items have portrait icons added for various effects (e.g. Ixil's Spear +4/+5 and Shuruppak's Plate get the Free Action icon, Claw of Kazgaroth and Thrall Collar get the cursed icon, Thieves' Hood gets the Protection from Poison icon, etc. - thanks to lolfixer's portrait icon assigner for identifying these...although funnily enough, I wouldn't recommend using this component yourself as it adds loads of icon for every item that has elemental resistance).

1pp fixes 1.03a to be released.

1. Helm of Defense was using the wrong animation (basic spiked helmet instead of the outward spikes one).

2. Properly patches both versions of Spider's Bane (SW2H06 and SW2H13).

3. Fixes Harbinger from losing its golden icon for no apparent reason (also a problem in the EEs).

Edited by Bartimaeus

Hi Bartimaeus

From the WOW feedback you've had from some of the elder modders, this looks like a fantastic addition, and the fact that you're updating/bugfixing so assiduously is very reassuring to a new BGT player like me.

Can I ask - will you be making any effort to make IRR more compatible with the Tweaks Anthology components that share "recipes" between Cromwell and Cespenar? In the main IR thread there was discussion about this and the original authors were rather dismissive about the possible effects of installing both (implying that would be a mess). It would be a shame if that wasn't patched also... although I note the Cromwell component stating it might overpower the game, which I realise conceptually runs counter to the spirit of IR/IRR.

Can you give me more context on what you're talking about (e.g. a link to the post)? IR doesn't really touch Cromwell or Cespenar almost at all except for maybe one or two tiny tweaks - I wouldn't think there'd be a problem at all, but it's quite possible I'm just not aware yet.

P.S. I thought 1.12a would be out by now, but DLTCEP has been acting funky since I updated to the latest version in regards to area searches, which has temporarily made me pause until I figure out what's going on.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Thanks for replying! I think this was the post I saw (found in a forum search for "Cromwell") from Toxin's list of questions about specific tweak/fix compatibilities: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27682&do=findComment&comment=239965

OK, re-reading, it's sadly advising not to install the Cromwell/Cespenar cross-recipe components, perhaps for safety more than reason, rather than being definite that it will mess things up. But it still seemed a bit dismissive in the face of the persuasive case made by the tweaks (strange inability to manufacture from almost identical components) - at least to a new player like me.

Are any of the recipes modded by IR/IRR? There are also other tweak mods out there that add extra recipes to both - other than balance issues, are they likely to be problematic with IR/IRR? EDIT: eg. Daulmakan's Item Pack v1.8 - extra recipes rather than all the wholesale item revisions, obviously.

Edited by Periel

strange inability to manufacture from almost identical components) - at least to a new player like me.

It's not strange at all, see every item that differes from the other, is a unique piece... as it has it's own .itm file packaged either in gamesd own data files, or in the mod storage place the "override" folder, which means that a mod that takes specific item can't find the almost but not entire clone item, it can't mix-and-match as it's just a computer program, not a human.

Why am I not surprised (from having read a lot around here) that you've got totally the wrong end of the stick, Imp?

It's not about the game engine. The tweaks are specific that conceptually there should be no difference making an armour item from red dragon scales as opposed to, say, white dragon scales. Scales are scales. Why should one smith only have the ability to create one type of armour, and the other (too conveniently, to force you to shop around, or travel, or whatever) only be able to make another? Dragon-scale armour manufacture should be the common skill of these uncommon smiths, whatever the colour/nature of the scales. There's a logic to that that's more persuasive than the vanilla forced skill separation.

In mod terms my question is really about whether the added recipes in the Anthology are appended somehow, so they won't overwrite IR tweaks, or whether (possible with the much older Daulmakan mod I might guess) the recipe lists are being overwritten, so destroying the IR tweaks. Or vice versa.

I don't think there's any incompatibility with those components from Tweaks Anthology. As far as I can tell, they just make the recipes that are available in ToB available in SoA and vice versa. They aren't adding any new items.

With regard to something like Item Upgrade, which adds brand new items, there may be conceptual compatibility issues but there shouldn't be any technical ones. (If there's a recipe that requires item A and item B, and you have IR's versions of item A and item B, it would still create the upgrade. However, the upgraded item's lore and abilities would be based on the vanilla versions of item A and item B, so you might find that odd.)

I have to agree with Mike. I'm looking a little closer, and from what I can tell, IR (and IRR) does almost nothing to item upgrades. The tweaks are the following:

1. Crom Faeyr's list of components is changed...but only in description from what I can tell (because Girdle of Frost? Giant Strength had its name changed).

2. Staff of the Ram uses a Ring of the Ram instead of a Roranach Horn.

3. Cloak of Protection +3 uses a scroll of Mantle instead of Improved Haste and Invisibility.

4. Quiver of Bolts +3...has something done to it. Not sure exactly what at first glance. Removes the Rogue Stone requirement and reduces the GP cost to 5,000 from 10,000, maybe?

5. Erinne Sling +5 also requires a Ring of Energy (instead of just 5,000 GP).

So, if Anthology Tweaks introduces those recipes to Cromwell, I'd think it'd likely use the original recipes instead of the modified ones. As far as incompatibilities go, those are all pretty slight - at worst, you wouldn't be able to make Staff of the Ram until ToB due to the Roranach Horn requirement, while the others would just be slightly modified ingredients. Since Anthology Tweaks is always installed after IR, that would be something they'd have to introduce compatibility for, not something IR can. The most I could do is submit a BWP Fixpack compatibility patch, maybe.

Personally, I would also like to reduce the cost of making Ankheg Armor +1 on Cromwell (from 5,000 to probably like 2,500), but uh, I'm actually not sure how to in a clean manner via patching (as there aren't any distinct parts in Cromwell's dialogue conditions/actions for forging the armor that make it easy to edit), so I haven't yet.

Edited by Bartimaeus

And these are the final changes that I wanted to implement for V1.12a in addition to the ones I posted above:
1. Dwarven Shield +2 no longer receives a +1 saving throws bonus. Instead, because according to its description it has a lightness spell applied to it, it only gives a -1 penalty to THAC0 when you install the revised shield bonuses component (maybe it should get rid of the THAC0 penalty altogether? ...A reminder that you can steal this from a merchant immediately at the start of BG2, although I personally never steal unique items...).
2. Gorgon Plate now uses its correct .bam (the green version of Balduran's Plate from 1PP/the EEs), and the same for Mithral Plate Mail.
3. Fixed colors for Full Plate Mail +2 for EE games.

4. Fixed a description bug that you might have seen on a couple of leather armors when unidentified (self-inflicted).
5. Replaced all copies of the unique golden Battle Axe +2 (AX1H03, aka Battle Axe of Mauletar +2, as it was known in BG1) with the standard Battle Axe +2 (AX1H11). This affects a side room in the Planar Sphere in SoA and one of Sendai's soldiers in ToB, and it currently remains unplaced in BG2 with no unique abilities, though it remains on Gretek (a hostile warrior at Helm and Cloak inside of Baldur's Gate) in BG1.
6. Ditto for the unique Dagger +2 (DAGG03, aka Heart of the Golem +2 in BG1 and as it is known in IR) with the standard Dagger +2 (DAGG15). This affects Arkanis Gath and Vaelasa (the Dryad Queen in Windspear Hills) in BG2 and Marek in BG1. As this already has unique abilities, it remains placed on one of Harper Hold mercenaries in BG2 and Hentold (a thief who stole the dagger from its grave in a wilderness area) in BG1.
7. Ditto for the unique Studded Leather +2 (LEAT07, aka Telbar's Armor +2 in BG1) with the standard Studded Leather Armor +2 (LEAT15). This affects...about 20 different locations in BG2, and currently remains unplaced in BG2, though it remains on Sendai (a semi-hostile Amnian fighter somewhere in the wilderness) in BG1.
8. Ditto for the unique Full Plate Mail +1 (PLAT05, aka Plate of the Dark +1 in BG1) with the standard Full Plate Mail +1 (PLAT14). This affects a few characters in ToB (all of them generic) while remaining unplaced in BG2, though it stays as Tamoko's unique armor in BG1.
9. Ditto for the unique Short Sword +2 (SW1H09, aka The Whistling Sword +2 in BG1) with the standard Short Sword +2 (SW1H29). This affects roughly 2.7 billion characters throughout BG2 (what the hell, BioWare) and remains unplaced in BG2, while it still remains placed on Zargal (a Hobgoblin) in BG1. Good lord it took forever to get all of these.

These are all done through proper file existence checks, so there shouldn't be any trouble if you are only on a BG2 game or something like that (additionally, I believe the EEs already have done all of this, and what I did should account for that and be compatible). I am loathe to add any unique powers to The Whistling Sword or Telbar's Armor due to the fact that other mods may attempt to use them, but Plate of the Dark and Battle Axe of Mauletar could receive a unique property or two without too much trouble and eventually be placed, I'd think. (Alternatively, if necessary, the original files could be just made duplicates of the generic items, while an alternative item file is patched in to make *sure* that other mods don't accidentally use them).

1pp fixes 1.03a (again, in addition to the ones I posted above):
1. There were a few problems with the "core content patches (v2)" component of 1pp, including HALB07 getting the wrong icon, Varscona's icon getting overwritten and then rewritten again for no apparent reason, Long Sword +2's icon getting overwritten with that same icon that Varscona's icon got overwritten with (what the heck?), Carsomyr's icon getting set to some other random 2HS, etc. Some of these problems would then be re-fixed in the "core updates and item patches (v4)" component, but a couple were not, so I decided that since I had noticed them, I might as well fix them in the v2 component as well.
2. The state of plate mail was a bit of a mess, to say the least. Gorgon Plate wouldn't get its special icon to go along with its green color change, but then its description icon would be set to something that would not match, Mithral Plate Mail was getting BG1's Plate Mail +1 icon for no apparent reason, and a few more plate mails were getting wrong description icons.
3. Scimitar +3 was getting set to the same graphics as Sword (Scimitar) of Flame +1's. I have attempted to rectify this by checking for IR being installed first, but because vanilla IR does not have a mark file that I can check for, this fix only applies to IRR for the time being, unfortunately. (...Although now that I think of it, you're not supposed to use the V4 component on vanilla IR installs anyhow, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.)

Edited by Bartimaeus

Why am I not surprised (from having read a lot around here) that you've got totally the wrong end of the stick, Imp?

It's not about the game engine. The tweaks are specific that conceptually there should be no difference making an armour item from red dragon scales as opposed to, say, white dragon scales. Scales are scales. Why should one smith only have the ability to create one type of armour, and the other (too conveniently, to force you to shop around, or travel, or whatever) only be able to make another? Dragon-scale armour manufacture should be the common skill of these uncommon smiths, whatever the colour/nature of the scales. There's a logic to that that's more persuasive than the vanilla forced skill separation.

In mod terms my question is really about whether the added recipes in the Anthology are appended somehow, so they won't overwrite IR tweaks, or whether (possible with the much older Daulmakan mod I might guess) the recipe lists are being overwritten, so destroying the IR tweaks. Or vice versa.

Well, let's start from the engine... it's not actually a DnD game at all, it's closer to a RTS than a DnD.. it has a dice system, but that's for randomization, but not actual to be specific about the DnD rules. Yes, it reflects one... but that's more on the surface than actual concrete material.

Smith being able to make an armor out of a dragon is like saying that you can build a computer in todays world, you technically only need to compile components... but try to make it from ores and you'll soon find out that NO, you can't do that alone. Dragon scale in armors, having different properties has to do with the skill the maker has, and the quantity/quality of the scales. Aka they have difference because the smith has different skills and proficiency, aka one prefers to make the white dragon a leather, while other might want to make a full platemail from the same patch. Have you ever tried to get a horse shoes, by a smith. There's a remarkable difference in the making of those and design, depending on WHO makes one.

Mod saying that it is specific about it's conceptual content has not actually coded anything on the IE engine... it can try and get better via patches that can and are actually likely to be coded by others than original mod makers... so telling us this gives you less, not more diligence. If that's what you strive for.

The fact that you are not surprised that I have a different view of the world than you, might have more to do with the cultures that we live in, than say what we have in common. Although I can't say what that is as I have not seen you here, much. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But I will say that I have been here longer, so I should know more than you, about mods in this regard. But I can only say so much in my say ~20 000 posts between here and SHSforums... you will need to say more, to convince me that this is otherwise.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I have not seen you here, much

I should know more than you, about mods in this regard. But I can only say so much in my say ~20 000 posts

Bruised ego much? 20,000 posts obviously characterised, even evident to someone not long familiar with these forums, much wilful misapprehension and deliberate contrariness, either for the sake of devil's advocate or just need to appear superior, I'm not sure. Whatever.

If you want to complain about the merits of the tweak I mentioned, do that in that in the Anthology thread. I asked a question about compatability with THIS mod, which your original comment neither illuminated nor answered. Maybe that's why you have 20,000 posts - because you comment unhelpfully about many things, a lot...

@Bartimaeus/Mike, thanks for your answers. I'll mention this in the Anthology subforum to see if there's a way to account for these small changes.

Edited by Periel

Please, gentlemen: no fighting in the War Room my precious thread!

IR Revised V1.12b released:

1. Algernon's Cloak has 3x charges for Charm Person, should be 1 (grr, I thought I got this one, too!).

2. Remove Weapon Restrictions from Multi-classed Divine Spellcasters will receive two Druid-only options (it makes more sense to me that Druids can use other bladed weapons than clerics can, seeing as Druids can already use Scimitars and such, whereas clerics supposedly are restricted by their gods from using bladed weapons).

3. Fix Champion's Strength spell for Runehammer +5 (wrong location).

​4. Fixed Purifier +5's evil damage property (was fine on +4).

​5. Potion of Antidote's effect (potn20.spl) was not actually being added to the game, doh!

​6. Spider Fang's webbing effect was referencing the wrong resource (one letter off!).

​7. Korgan's Axe receives a new crimson icon and colors. It seems silly to have two red axes (this and Azuredge), but they look different enough, I think.

​To eventually get around to doing:

1. Fix up a few other ToB icons?

​2. Robe of Electricity's robe small icon to be slightly reframed to go better with the other robes of elemental resistance.

3. Thinking of restoring Improved Cloak of Protection +2 with Prismatic Mantle.

Edited by Bartimaeus