IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@NdranC"it feels like small shields are the neutral ones and bucklers have a malus towards missile bonus"

Yes, that's correct. Small Shields have neither bonus or malus to missile protection (i.e. the +1 AC bonus applies to all weapons equally, including missile weapons), while the buckler states it does not offer missile protection (i.e. you get +1 AC to melee weapons, none vs. missile weapons).

I feel like I'm missing something. So I'm using Viconia right now and this is what I see on the character AC breakdown

Viconia without any shields: Missile -1

Viconia with Small Shield +1: Missile -1

Viconia with Buckler: Missile +1

So equipping the Buckler feels like a malus because it lowers my default missile AC. If that is intented I guess I just find the wording a little weird since to me "Doesn't offer missile protection" doesn't equate to "Lowers your missile protection".

Edited by NdranC

I would expect missile to go to even in that scenario, not +1 (not unless the buckler in question is a +1 buckler, in which case that would make sense and would still be net even). If it is not a buckler +1, could you give me a copy of whatever .itm it is? I have checked all of the unenchanted bucklers and none of them have -2 missile protection.

The AC adjustments by damage type in the character sheet show just that - adjustments to your AC.  Not your actual AC vs. each damage type.

A buckler that give a 1-point bonus to AC but offers no missile protection would, necessarily, apply a 1-point penalty to AC vs. missiles, in order to offset the overall 1-point AC bonus.  That penalty would show up in your character sheet, as a 1-point penalty to missile AC.  But your total AC vs. missiles is not actually worse than not having the buckler; it should be the same.

What confuses me is why there is any missile AC adjustment when Viconia is "without any shields..." Clearly there is something else affecting this character.

Right, exactly, thanks for the expanded explanation.

As for Viconia, she's most likely wearing armor that has a bonus of 1. So an unenchanted buckler should bring up to 0, but @NdranC says it's bringing it up to +1, which would be wrong. I'm not aware of any mechanics that aren't the shield itself that should do that, so unless it was actually a Buckler +1, that would be a bug.

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I would expect missile to go to even in that scenario, not +1 (not unless the buckler in question is a +1 buckler, in which case that would make sense and would still be net even). If it is not a buckler +1, could you give me a copy of whatever .itm it is? I have checked all of the unenchanted bucklers and none of them have -2 missile protection.

Yes it's a +2 Buckler (Stalwart Defender)

5 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

The AC adjustments by damage type in the character sheet show just that - adjustments to your AC.  Not your actual AC vs. each damage type.

A buckler that give a 1-point bonus to AC but offers no missile protection would, necessarily, apply a 1-point penalty to AC vs. missiles, in order to offset the overall 1-point AC bonus.  That penalty would show up in your character sheet, as a 1-point penalty to missile AC.  But your total AC vs. missiles is not actually worse than not having the buckler; it should be the same.

What confuses me is why there is any missile AC adjustment when Viconia is "without any shields..." Clearly there is something else affecting this character.

Ah I understand now, you buckler needs to give you a malus to missile AC because it's supposed to work for all AC but missiles, and since AC bonus works on all of them at once...

Baldur's Gate is counter intuitive sometimes. 

I think it's added by rogue rebalancing.

https://i.imgur.com/bY447IB.jpg

Better screenshot

https://i.imgur.com/6kY7qpS.jpg

Edit: Checking the item it seems like it's handled by IR, it has a global AC bonus of 2 and a global -2 ac bonus to missile weapons.

Edit2: Is this correct?
QlGS0z9.jpg

Item claims to give an attack penalty of 2 to giant humanoids but (unless I don't understand how to read this window), the power is set to 0?

Edited by NdranC

I think it's because vanilla BG enchanted bucklers negated it for Bucklers +1 as well, plus the "Special: No Protection Against Missile and Piercing Attacks", seems to make it clear that they're not supposed to. Of course, IR gets rid of the "piercing attacks" bit, and this is modding we're talking about...

Worst case scenario, if you're a class that needs to be using a buckler, put a point or two into Sword and Shield proficiency.

42 minutes ago, ptifab said:

The Mithral Full Plate Mail +2 (PLAT09.ITM) has a Base AC of -3 where it should have a Base AC of -2 (Base AC of a Full Plate +2 is -1 + IR mithral effect: +1 bonus to AC), or maybe the name should be changed to +3 instead ?

Thanks! From what I recall, I upgraded this to be a +3 item (originally +2), but then later formulated the idea of mithral armors getting a +1 AC bonus in addition to the lesser strength requirements and weight, but forgot to bring it fully back to +2. Fixed!

I think there might be a minor bug with some of the scrolls you added to the shops.

DhmrdFZ.jpg

Look at the bottom left part of the icon for Protection from Petrification, Detect Alignment and Friends. I don't know what that number means but it's not ammo and it's not amount of scrolls either. Those are the only 3 scrolls in Sorcerous Sundries that have that peculiar number.

Those are charges, I think. I copy+pasted the add_store_item text from a different part of the mod, I guess I must've happened to pick something with charges and didn't notice. Thanks again. (e): Actually, what I think happened is that I meant to add 2 scrolls of each to match the other level 1 scrolls having 2 of each, but instead I added 2 charges. Oops, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus