IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

44 minutes ago, Antipatiko said:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

To be clear, I'm not blaming IRR for this but it is what I installed and since you seem very active on the forums, I thought you could help me out with this issue.

It doesn't. I tried with 2 chars, to no avail. But if my cleric casts Find Traps right next to my thief, he is able to detect the trap. However, my thief cannot disarm it (As intended? I don't remember that rule).

Congratulations on likely being the first person using either IR or IRR to ever use this potion for the purpose of finding traps. In order to detect traps, this potion needs to use a special type of projectile that is able to target inanimate objects (e.g. traps) - it doesn't, and instead uses a vanilla projectile that's not set to to do that. So...this potion has most likely never had that part actually working, :p.

You should be able to just drop and drop this file into your override to fix it: redacted

Thanks!

(e): Hold on a moment, this would actually also make the detect invisibility part of the potion dispel invisibility from your own party members, I'll need to fix that too.

(e): Okay, here, drop these three files into your override to make the potion fully functional: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hjau0tfhdj2dvuq/potn30.zip

Edited by Bartimaeus

On EE games, you should consider using damage types MAGICCOLD and MAGICFIRE (when applying opcode #12).

For instance, The Burning Earth +1 ("SW1H24.ITM") should probably deal MAGICFIRE damage instead of standard FIRE damage (... It burns a victim with magical fire,...)

Edited by Luke

Why?

If it functions in an identical manner as regular fire damage (you expect immunity and resistance to act the same) then why not use the same damage mode? 

There are only two spare damage modes, and someone might like to do something with them in a mod someday (I have toyed with the idea of adding radiant damage and negative energy damage types). Let’s please not use them up and/or create future incompatibilities for no good reason!

41 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

If it functions in an identical manner as regular fire damage (you expect immunity and resistance to act the same) then why not use the same damage mode? 

It's not the same, they're separate entries in DMGTYPE.IDS...

43 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

There are only two spare damage modes...

What do you mean exactly? I don't think you can add new entries to DMGTYPE.IDS...

44 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Let’s please not use them up and/or create future incompatibilities for no good reason!

I don't think it'll create critical incompatibilities (if any!)... For instance, you could hit 100+ Fire Resistance creatures without healing them...

Anyway, it's just an idea...

7 hours ago, Luke said:

On EE games, you should consider using damage types MAGICCOLD and MAGICFIRE (when applying opcode #12).

For instance, The Burning Earth +1 ("SW1H24.ITM") should probably deal MAGICFIRE damage instead of standard FIRE damage (... It burns a victim with magical fire,...)

I have to ask the same question Subtledoctor did: why? You gave no reason as to why that should be, and I myself can't really think of a compelling reason to do so. The only thing I can think of is if I wanted to get around a creature's normal fire resistance to still apply fire damage (...though from what I've seen, creatures with resistance to fire very often also have resistance to magical fire as well), but I can't think of any circumstance where I would want to circumvent a creature's fire resistance to apply fire damage. Fire resistant creatures should be resistant to fire, whether "magical" or natural in origin. Maybe if there were some sort of blue flames sword, like you see on Xan's Moonblade (though that Moonblade doesn't actually do fire damage, so not actually a case here), it'd be neat to have a different kind of fire damage that applies to normally fire-immune creatures...but also, I think I could just set fire resistance to 0% on hit for either duration 0 or duration 1 to be able to apply the damage, so still not really necessary.

Edited by Bartimaeus
18 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The only thing I can think of is if I wanted to get around a creature's normal fire resistance to still apply fire damage

This (and because it seems to be part of that item's lore – ... It burns a victim with magical fire,..).

18 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

(...though from what I've seen, creatures with resistance to fire very often also have resistance to magical fire as well),

Yeah, this is true...

To list some exceptions: some demons ain't 100% immune to Magical Fire damage...

Edited by Luke

IIRC, Flame Tongue doesn't even do fire damage in the vanilla game, so not really a compelling case there, :p. Saying "magical fire" is also just not that compelling in of itself, since obviously fire created or applied by magic (e.g. weapon enchantment) could always be considered "magical fire" - Dragon Tooth also says it as well, and I don't see anything special about that to suggest it should be doing a unique type of fire damage.

Edited by Bartimaeus
6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

5 hours ago, Luke said:

It's not the same, they're separate entries in DMGTYPE.IDS...

I mean you are talking about using it in the same way: having the sword burn the target for extra damage. 

6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

There are only two spare damage modes

5 hours ago, Luke said:

What do you mean exactly? I don't think you can add new entries to DMGTYPE.IDS...

That’s precisely my point. MagicFire and MagicCold are unused in the game. They could be repurposed for other uses... but you would preclude doing that. And while I can see a large down-side to your idea, I see no benefit. Wouldn’t it be a hundred times simpler to remove the word “magic” from that one sword’s description, if your only concern is accuracy?

For that matter, there is not a single instance of fire damage in these games that is not magically-generated. So shouldn’t all instances of fire damage be changed to MagicFire? (And at that point, what has been accomplished?)

Arrows of Detonation are arguable, but I’d wager that in a world full of magic, where there is a Fireball spell but no grenades, arrows of detonation are more likely magical in nature than mechanical. 

There is a cave in SoD with some lava, and fire beetles. That might be “natural” fire damage. One or two places in IWDEE as well. I guess some spots in the Fire Giant Temple in TOB? That’s all I can think of. 

Every weapon, every potion, every spell that involves fire damage seems to me to be magical in nature. So it makes very little sense to distinguish “magical fire” damage from “fire” damage. Whether the origin is magical or natural, fire damage causes damage because it burns you. What point is there in having two different kinds? (And, how impossible would it be to make that difference sensible and work well with all the games’ sources of fire damage, not to mention every mod out there?)

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

I’d wager that in a world full of magic, where there is a Fireball spell but no grenades

If you don't count pesky Jan Jansen and his awesome thingie that shoots thingies that explode.  Those darn gnomes.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:37 AM, subtledoctor said:

Every weapon, every potion, every spell that involves fire damage seems to me to be magical in nature. So it makes very little sense to distinguish “magical fire” damage from “fire” damage. Whether the origin is magical or natural, fire damage causes damage because it burns you

Yeah, this is somewhat similar to whether items that cause elemental damage (Arrows of Fire, Bolts of Lightning and the like) should bypass Magic Resistance or not...

Edited by Luke
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yeah, this is somewhat similar to whether items that cause elemental damage (Arrows of Fire, Bolts of Lightning and the like) should bypass Magic Resistance or not...

Well, or any spell that does any elemental damage...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Making all elemental damage spells immune to magical resistance 
//Damage types of non-magical Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire and Poison 

BEGIN ~Allow elemental spells pierce magic resistance~ DESIGNATED 6

//opcode #12
//type=

//65536 Acid
//65537 Acid Set to Value
//65538 Acid Set to Percentage
//65539 Acid Reduce by Percentage
//131072 Cold
//131073 Cold Set to Value
//131074 Cold Set to Percentage
//131075 Cold Reduce by Percentage
//262144 Electricity
//262145 Electricity Set to Value
//262146 Electricity Set to Percentage
//262147 Electricity Reduce by Percentage
//524288 Fire
//524289 Fire Set to Value
//524290 Fire Set to Percentage
//524291 Fire Reduce by Percentage
//2097152 Poison
//2097153 Poison Set to Value
//2097154 Poison Set to Percentage
//2097155 Poison Reduce by Percentage 

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.spl$~ ~override~
READ_LONG 0x64 ~ab_off~
READ_SHORT 0x68 ~ab_num~
READ_LONG 0x6a ~ef_off~
	FOR (i=0;i<ab_num;i+=1) BEGIN
	READ_SHORT (ab_off+i*0x28 + 0x000c) ~type~
	PATCH_IF ~type~=1 OR ~type~=4 THEN BEGIN
		READ_SHORT (ab_off+i*0x28+0x00) ~opcode~
		READ_SHORT (ab_off+i*0x28+0x08) ~damage~
		PATCH_IF ~opcode=12~ THEN BEGIN
			READ_SHORT (ab_off+i*0x28+0x1e) ~ef_num~
			READ_SHORT (ab_off+i*0x28+0x20) ~ef_ind~
			PATCH_IF ~damage~=65536 OR ~damage~=65537 OR ~damage~=65538 OR ~damage~=65539 OR ~damage~=131072 OR ~damage~=131073 OR ~damage~=131074 OR ~damage~=131075 OR ~damage~=262144 OR ~damage~=262145 OR ~damage~=262146 OR ~damage~=262147 OR ~damage~=524288 OR ~damage~=524289 OR ~damage~=524290 OR ~damage~=524291 OR ~damage~=2097152 OR ~damage~=2097153 OR ~damage~=2097154 OR ~damage~=2097156 THEN BEGIN
				FOR (k=0;k<ef_num;k+=1) BEGIN
				WRITE_BYTE  (ef_off+(k+ef_ind)*0x30 + 0x000d) 2
				END
			END
		END
	END
END

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
On 6/23/2020 at 3:29 PM, pochesun said:

@Bartimaeus you asked me to report if Cloak of the Wolf console thing got fixed - confirmed its fixed now. Just used the cloak - no error.

Thanks, good to hear!

V1.3.0 officially released, interim patch notes previously listed here, and now the ones since then:

Changes:

1. Potion of Sight now applies anti-improved invisibility opcode + should, for possibly the first time in IR/R history, actually detect traps.
  2. The Whistling Sword is now placed at the Adventurer's Mart and has an anti-fear aura.
  3. Plate of the Dark +1 and the Silver Charm (anti-werewolf/vampire necklace) are placed on Samia's party in Firkraag's lair. I think the Silver Charm makes sense for this location (it's not a very powerful amulet and there are both werewolves and vampires in this area + it's early enough that you could conceivably benefit from it against Bodhi's vampires), but I'm definitely open to better ideas for the Plate of the Dark.
  4. Plate of the Dark +1 with its unique history (some dark lord's armor) has permanent Protection from Good (basically Protection from Evil, but the opposite) - still usable by characters of all alignments, however.
  5. Hide Armor +1-3, Wakizashi +2-3, Ninja-To +2-3, Buckler +2-3, and Scimitar +2 have all been backported from the EEs into ToBEx games (with fixed icons that look proper in non-EE games), meaning I can actually place them at stores through Store Revisions...which I have done for BG2/ToB stores in appropriate locations (mostly in later, non-stealable locations - don't expect to just find and easily steal these in Waukeen's Promenade).
  6. The Lordly Might Spear of Quickness +3 now also is throwable in addition to the ApR bonus. On a related note, the Lordly Might Mace of Regeneration is now instead a Flail of Disruption (note: disruption only, doesn't receive Mace of Disruption's unique undead bane, so not quite as undead-specific - receives full THAC0 and damage bonuses against other types of creatures unlike the Mace of Disruption, though). Found prior to Bodhi, might be useful, I'm not sure - really just didn't like the regeneration mace, it was lame-brained.
  7. A complicated re-do of the various item icons that need to be added to make everything work. I looked pretty exhaustively for problems, but if you see something that doesn't seem quite right, let me know.
  8. At some point in the past, I re-used some cursed items' unique icons for other items lacking their own unique icons - I have reverted some of these, in particular the more useful and/or iconic ones in favor of alternative options (notably, Ring of Acuity instead of using the Ring of Clumsiness icon now receives its own unique recolor of the Ring of Wizardry, Bracers of Speed keeps its original icon, Backbiter gets its original icon back, and I think the Girdle of Masculinity receives its original icon back - I might be forgetting one or two, but the idea is that the actually half-decent ones that aren't jokes unlike the Ring of Folly should get their unique icons back).
  9. Runehammer receives its original icon back, but it has been re-aligned and touched up a little. I did not find the random war hammer +2 icon that 1pp and the EEs used for this to be very appropriate, so this was long overdue.
  10. Gram the Sword of Grief's icon was touched up and made less messy (...and also lengthened, because it was a very small-looking two-handed sword).
  11. Algernon's Cloak receives its unique-from-the-Nymph-Cloak 1pp icon (I didn't realize it had one until recently!).
  12. Arrow of Slaying is back to a +1 enchantment level (original IR increase from unenchanted in vanilla) - however, one thing I noted with the vanilla versions of Arrow of Slaying and Arrow of Detonation is that they receive large hidden THAC0 bonuses (+15 for Arrow of Slaying, +3000 for Arrow of Detonation!). These two plus Bolt of Polymorphing will instead receive simply a hidden +5 bonus to THAC0 - not quite as egregious as vanilla, but with a much better chance of hitting than IR's versions of these items (which received no bonus), and they really should given how crazy rare and expensive they are (plus how flaky a single save vs. death can be on top of a good chance of missing).

Fixes:

1. Potion of Explosions is not considered to be magic (alchemical), and therefore is no longer blocked by Spell Deflection et. al.
  2. IRR's various AoE effects (including from wands) should now be blocked via SR's AoE Spell Deflection component + should pierce through Mirror Image when using those SR/R components (not enabled if not).
  3. A few more weapons not having their weapon animations set properly (Mazzy's sword, Throwing Axe +1, Dagger +2).
  4. Blackmist's Weakening ability was not actually being installed, whoops!
  5. Blackmist's Blackmist ability is no longer subject to magic resistance.
  6. Some spell-like abilities were lacking proper power levels and would inappropriately pierce magic defenses when they shouldn't.
  7. A handful of EET-only fixes weren't taking effect because I accidentally specified that the game must both be EET as well *not* be EET.

...Maybe a few other things, but that's the gist of it. All that icon work was a nightmare.

Edited by Bartimaeus