Jump to content

IR Revised V1.3.300 (2021 January 5th)


Recommended Posts

@pochesun Sorry, I don't remember: are you on a BGEE or EET game? There are some EET-centric fixes (including one regarding Edwin's amulet) that I had coded up but erroneously never enabled until very recently that might explain the inconsistent number of spells it adds issue. If instead a BGEE game, then I'd need to look into that. The BG1 form of the amulet is supposed to be +1 extra spells, the BG2 form of the amulet is supposed to be +2 extra spells. But in regards to the memorization bug itself, I suspect that there's nothing I can do - if the amulet works correctly by itself, and if the ring works correctly by itself, but they're funky together, it's likely because of a fundamental engine bug arising from the doubled number of spells effect (which AFAIK was never used in the BG2 engine to begin with) that I can't do anything about.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post
3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@pochesun Sorry, I don't remember: are you on a BGEE or EET game? There are some EET-centric fixes (including one regarding Edwin's amulet) that I had coded up but erroneously never enabled until very recently that might explain the inconsistent number of spells it adds issue. If instead a BGEE game, then I'd need to look into that. The BG1 form of the amulet is supposed to be +1 extra spells, the BG2 form of the amulet is supposed to be +2 extra spells. But in regards to the memorization bug itself, I suspect that there's nothing I can do - if the amulet works correctly by itself, and if the ring works correctly by itself, but they're funky together, it's likely because of a fundamental engine bug arising from the doubled number of spells effect (which AFAIK was never used in the BG2 engine to begin with) that I can't do anything about.

its BG EE. I am in BG 1 now. The ring works correclty by itself, as far as i can judge (tried it with other mages and sorcerers), but amulet definitely not working correctly by itself. My presumption is that if both amulet and the ring are equipped then on loading saved game the game state is checked for amulet and the ring and something goes wrong with amulet so it first correcting amount of spells for the ring but since amulet acting weird the game just rolls back 2 spells from the number of doubled ones. Of course it does not cancel the fact that amulet is broken by itself. AS i discribed previously, it looks like amulet has both effects of +1 and +2 simultaniously.  So, as i said, it better be checked :)  (probably the best way to see it for yourself is to jsut create a new game in BG EE, get Edwin, hover mouse over amulet in his inventory screen).

Edited by pochesun
Link to post
7 hours ago, pochesun said:

its BG EE. I am in BG 1 now. The ring works correclty by itself, as far as i can judge (tried it with other mages and sorcerers), but amulet definitely not working correctly by itself. My presumption is that if both amulet and the ring are equipped then on loading saved game the game state is checked for amulet and the ring and something goes wrong with amulet so it first correcting amount of spells for the ring but since amulet acting weird the game just rolls back 2 spells from the number of doubled ones. Of course it does not cancel the fact that amulet is broken by itself. AS i discribed previously, it looks like amulet has both effects of +1 and +2 simultaniously.  So, as i said, it better be checked :)  (probably the best way to see it for yourself is to jsut create a new game in BG EE, get Edwin, hover mouse over amulet in his inventory screen).

Yeah, getting +2 spells is definitely a bug that I'll fix. ...And I figured it out, done.

But in regards to other thing, I'm pretty sure that I've confirmed that there is nothing I can do about it. The number of spells from the amulet is not being "rolled back" - if it was, then level 1 Edwin should only have 4 spells, not 6, as 2*2 is 4, not 6. What seems to be happening is that the game is re-equipping these items upon a reload in a non-optimal way that I can't change. Edwin has 2 base spells, gets 2 more from his amulet so now he has 4, equips the Ring of Sorcery so now he has 8. Upon a reload, it equips the ring first, so now he has 4 (2*2), and then equips the amulet afterwards, so now he has 6 (4+2). To be honest, this is arguably how it should be calculated to begin with anyways - the Ring of Sorcery should double the number of base spells, not an already modified amount.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post
8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, getting +2 spells is definitely a bug that I'll fix. ...And I figured it out, done.

But in regards to other thing, I'm pretty sure that I've confirmed that there is nothing I can do about it. The number of spells from the amulet is not being "rolled back" - if it was, then level 1 Edwin should only have 4 spells, not 6, as 2*2 is 4, not 6. What seems to be happening is that the game is re-equipping these items upon a reload in a non-optimal way that I can't change. Edwin has 2 base spells, gets 2 more from his amulet so now he has 4, equips the Ring of Sorcery so now he has 8. Upon a reload, it equips the ring first, so now he has 4 (2*2), and then equips the amulet afterwards, so now he has 6 (4+2). To be honest, this is arguably how it should be calculated to begin with anyways - the Ring of Sorcery should double the number of base spells, not an already modified amount.

Yeah when i was talking about checks, i meant the order the game state checks effect applied from items (like Ring first, amulet second). I guess my wording was bad. 

As a note for spells number. I think i missed the fact that Edwin is a specialist (Conjurer) and if i am not mistaken level 1 Edwin should have 1 base spell, 1 from his spicialization and 1 from amulet - total 3. When it comes to the Ring - as you said, if its broken and nothing can be done about it, so be it - but with the Ring level 1 Edwin should have 6 spells (3*2). Also if your logic for equiping order checks - then Edwin 1 level shoudl have 2 base spells (1 from level 1 and 1 from specialization) which are doubled with the Ring and then + 1 extra spell from the Amulet so total 5. Anyway the whole thing is weird.

Link to post
2 hours ago, pochesun said:

Yeah when i was talking about checks, i meant the order the game state checks effect applied from items (like Ring first, amulet second). I guess my wording was bad. 

As a note for spells number. I think i missed the fact that Edwin is a specialist (Conjurer) and if i am not mistaken level 1 Edwin should have 1 base spell, 1 from his spicialization and 1 from amulet - total 3. When it comes to the Ring - as you said, if its broken and nothing can be done about it, so be it - but with the Ring level 1 Edwin should have 6 spells (3*2). Also if your logic for equiping order checks - then Edwin 1 level shoudl have 2 base spells (1 from level 1 and 1 from specialization) which are doubled with the Ring and then + 1 extra spell from the Amulet so total 5. Anyway the whole thing is weird.

All of what you said re: Edwin's # of spells is correct, and is what happened when I tested with these items in BGEE. He had 2 base spells (1 from being a level 1 mage, +1 from specialist), broken amulet that was giving 2 spell slots instead of 1 (so 4), then doubled from Ring of Sorcery (8, or 6 on a reload). With a fixed amulet, it's instead 2 (base) + 1 (amulet) * 2 (ring) = 6, or 5 on a reload.

Link to post
30 minutes ago, Hoverdawg said:

Are kuo-toan/sahuagin bolts supposed to weight 1lb each? It makes them nearly unusable for most archers (Jansen or Imoen). (is it a IRR thing or a SCS one, though?)

It's actually a vanilla thing: they weigh one pound each, and they're in a damage class higher than normal bolts (1D10 instead of 1D8 - 1D12 if you use weapon changes), plus they have a valuable stunning effect (although probably not *that* valuable by the time you get to the underdark). Might be more trouble than it's worth, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post
36 minutes ago, Antipatiko said:

Hello Bart,

The Sensate Amulet (WA2AMU) is missing a "Prevent portrait icon (169)" effect for Stun. That effect seems to be applied twice for the 'Held' icon.

Roger that, thanks. There's actually a number of items I'm aware of missing stuff like that (that, and message suppressions e.g. "Stunned") that I've been meaning to go through and add, but it's a lot of work for small cosmetic gain. I'll get to them eventually, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post

Ok, It's been a while since I've been able to post some more bugs. Had to take a break for a while but I've been able to play more often with my friend recently. There is one bug I noticed (mind you I have a build that is a couple months old). The item called "web sack", the drow druid that lives inside the underground catacombs in the athkatla cementary gives it to you as a reward for finishing her quest.

First thing I noticed is that the item starts with the wrong charges, says it should be 1 web per day but it has 10 charges, like if it was a wand (it might be treated like one in the code?). The other thing I noticed is that the web spell casted from that item will bypass that web protection from that sword you get from that one slaver ambush (cant' remember the name, but is that famous +2 short sword that gives you web/hold immunity I believe). My friend is able to walk on top of my own webs when he is holding that short sword but he will be slowed and eventually webbed when walking on top of the web created by that item. I didn't test it at the moment because I forgot but I suspect it could be ignoring the effects of freedom of movement spells. If you need more info let me know.

Side note. This is my first time properly playing BG2, I've played and finished BG1 like 10 times but drop before getting to the second. Anyway I'm having a little bit of a harder time dealing with mage chess because of the log. I find it so hard (particularly now with access to so many more spells and with multiplayer pause cooldown) to keep track of spells working or not working. I've often found myself setting a spell to be casted with a character just to find out 3 seconds later that the character is sitting there idle and I can't tell if the spell went off or if they got interrupted or if the spell landed but they saved or are immune (because I think there is no log if they are just immune). It's particularly bad when you have 30 lines of logs in the last 3 seconds and they are all colored the same way. Maybe it's just me being rusty/bad at the game but it feels like either some log entries are too verbose and spell entries are not verbose enough. Is there anyway to improve this? Or do I just need to pay more attention and get better at the game?

Link to post
1 hour ago, NdranC said:

Ok, It's been a while since I've been able to post some more bugs. Had to take a break for a while but I've been able to play more often with my friend recently. There is one bug I noticed (mind you I have a build that is a couple months old). The item called "web sack", the drow druid that lives inside the underground catacombs in the athkatla cementary gives it to you as a reward for finishing her quest.

First thing I noticed is that the item starts with the wrong charges, says it should be 1 web per day but it has 10 charges, like if it was a wand (it might be treated like one in the code?). The other thing I noticed is that the web spell casted from that item will bypass that web protection from that sword you get from that one slaver ambush (cant' remember the name, but is that famous +2 short sword that gives you web/hold immunity I believe). My friend is able to walk on top of my own webs when he is holding that short sword but he will be slowed and eventually webbed when walking on top of the web created by that item. I didn't test it at the moment because I forgot but I suspect it could be ignoring the effects of freedom of movement spells. If you need more info let me know.

Side note. This is my first time properly playing BG2, I've played and finished BG1 like 10 times but drop before getting to the second. Anyway I'm having a little bit of a harder time dealing with mage chess because of the log. I find it so hard (particularly now with access to so many more spells and with multiplayer pause cooldown) to keep track of spells working or not working. I've often found myself setting a spell to be casted with a character just to find out 3 seconds later that the character is sitting there idle and I can't tell if the spell went off or if they got interrupted or if the spell landed but they saved or are immune (because I think there is no log if they are just immune). It's particularly bad when you have 30 lines of logs in the last 3 seconds and they are all colored the same way. Maybe it's just me being rusty/bad at the game but it feels like either some log entries are too verbose and spell entries are not verbose enough. Is there anyway to improve this? Or do I just need to pay more attention and get better at the game?

I'll make sure Web Sack gets caught by the mass charge setting function, thank you! As for it not being protected against by...Arbane's Sword, is it, each web-type ability has to be protected from individually by resource name since web unfortunately is not actually its own unique effect but rather just an illusion of - it's actually just a generic hold creature-type effect with a graphical effect applied, and we don't want anti-web items to provide immunity against all types of holding. I'll fix that for the few items that grant specifically protection against web. (e): Actually...weird: IRR adds this item to her with only 1 charge, *and* already tries to set it to 1 charge with the mass charge setting function. Do you have the Unfinished Business Spider's Bane component installed?

As for mage battles...I can see that being a problem, especially if you aren't too familiar with post-BG1 spells and especially if you're using SCS on top of it. With the exception of...Non-Detection and Spell Shield I think, each spell protection type has its own unique graphical effect that plays while they're still in effect, so it may be useful to cast those yourself a bit and memorize what they look like to better understand what spellcasters have running. I'm not sure if there's any way to improve the situation - to be honest, I don't usually pay too much attention to the log outside of looking at like pre-buffs, so I may not be the best person to ask.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post

Yes I'm using the unfinished business component.

Yeah it's not really about spell protections, it's just mostly combat feeling a little hectic when I can only pause every 3 seconds because of multiplayer cooldown and a lot of samey effects go on at once. Like I can hear for example buffs going away but then I have to look at 20+ buff icons to try to gather which one was it. Or maybe look into 50 lines of logs to see what happen to a spell or why is one of my characters charmed or stunned and I feel that either I suck at reading the log or the log just sucks. For example, if you cast 3 spells at the same time it's really hard to guess which one they saved against because the log just says something like "Spell: Saved". Doesn't even tell them the name or the save roll. Then you have the fact that half the time you have to remember that the lack of a save message it's on it's own a message that tells you they might be immune to the effect you are trying to apply.

Just me wondering if I'm crazy or the bg log feels useless

Link to post

I think the mod jimfix can add "[spell] expired" messages for when spells expire? That might help some. For made saving throws, I'd imagine that's hardcoded and can't be changed. The log could definitely be better and more modular for feedback, but it's a 2000 game, haha.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post

V1.3.100 released.

Fixes since V1.3.0:

  1. Anti-web items should correctly protect against Web Sack.
  2. Anomen's shield should no longer trigger the Cowled Wizards if you use the Protection from [Normal] Missiles ability (activated abilities, even spells, should not trigger Cowled Wizards - not unless there's actual spellcasting involved).
  3. Also, Anomen's shield should now cast Protection from Missiles instead of Protection from Normal Missiles (limited to 1 turn) if you have SR installed.
  4. A number of immunity suppressors were added, including one reported for the Sensate Amulet by @Antipatiko.
  5. Telbar's Armor gets its original BG1 icon back.
  6. Versions of Edwin's Amulets were accidentally swapped for EE games (+2 spells in BG1, +1 spells in BG2, whoops).
  7. The scroll of Dispel Magic that IR adds to the game now remains Dispel Magic even if you have SRR installed.
  8. Buckler +2 and +3 had the wrong missile/piercing weapon penalties defined (bug from vanilla EE games - also note that Shield Revisions removes the piercing weapon penalty entirely from bucklers if you use that).
  9. Dart +2 and +3 have the correct quantities for EE/non-EE games (80/40 respectively). Also, made sure that they will not crash the game on non-EE games.
  10. Staff Spear gets spear range (3 instead of 2), but loses spear speed (-2 penalty, IIRC).
  11. Staff Mace gets the same damage as an actual mace - still unique in that it's essentially a one-handed mace with the staff proficiency and usable by mages and such, of course.
  12. Varscona's icon (red/gold long sword) was mistakenly getting overwritten with the Long Sword +3 (blue/black sword) icon - thank you 1pp, very cool.
  13. Rashad's Talon's icon was missing as a result of 1.3's icon cleanup, forgot to re-add it back. Additionally, 1pp/the EEs were setting Rashad's Talon's colors to that of Belm's, and Belm's to that of Rashad's Talon, so that's fixed too.
  14. Potion of Perception had wrong usability and targeting.
  15. Various Non-Detection items were missing a resource used for generic invisibility detection by SRR.
  16. Valygar's katana is no longer considered to be a heavy weapon (other katanas aren't, I'm not sure why his was specifically getting set to one, especially considering it's the same weight as other katanas and makes no mention of being especially heavy or unwieldy).
  17. Twinkle's vanilla icon had some green pixels that were clearly meant to be transparent - now they are.
  18. Quarterstaff (+0) had some notably wacky colors that deserves its own mention for getting fixed.
  19. Maybe a couple of other things, but my github patch notes are the worst.

Changes since V.1.3.0:

  1. A large variety of items spanning the game had their colors updated to more accurately reflect their icons while also attempting to make them not look terrible. This affects...by my very rough count, about 200 items. I was only considering items that seemed clearly wrong to me - this ended up being a lot more exhaustive than I expected. The effect should be pretty subtle overall, though.
  2. Splint Mail +2 and Scimitar +2 were added to the game via backporting them from the EEs and including them in some spots in Store Revisions. As before, they're usually found later in the game and not easily stealable.
  3. New icons for Sword of Flame, Scimitar +3, Short Bow +3, Klogarath, Flail of Submission, Everard's Morning Star, Storm Star, Club of Detonation, Firetooth, Runehammer, Dagger of the Star, The Sleeper, Ring of Regeneration, Hammer of Corrosion, Flail of Submission, Ring of Sorcery, Ring of Acuity, Ring of Regeneration, Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, (Long) Sword of Balduran +2. Some of them fixed, some of them repurposed, some of them new (most of the "new" being pretty simple but I think effective recolors, of course). I especially like restoring the original/lost Sword of Balduran icon, but tweaking it to look more like a long sword since the non-gold Sword of Balduran is a long sword.
  4. Baldur_mViZDnZbye.png
  5. Plate of the Dark is moved from Samia to Tarnor the Hatchetman (sewers), who was already wearing a Full Plate Mail +1 anyway. Samia's party already has enough stuff, especially with the dragonslayer stuff sitting right by. I feel much better about placing this on a group that already had a Full Plate Mail +1.

 

Edited by Bartimaeus
Link to post

@Bartimaeus hello. I noticed that Shield of the Falling Stars +2 acting a bit weird. According to its discription it gives +2 AC to allies within 5 radius. But when another party member stands near the holder of the Shield 1 round it gets + 2 AC bonus and another round it gets +4 AC bonus, then next another round its + 2 again, then another round its +4 again and so on. The AC value changes in inventory screen and is also mentioned as "Bonus" (either 2 or 4 in turn).

Link to post
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...