IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

1 hour ago, NdranC said:

I don't know if this issue is under your purview but after running an EET install last night I noticed Lord Foreshadow gave me a Ring of Human Influence that sets my Charisma to 18 and 1 charm per day. This ring doesn't seem to be affected by the changes on IRR. I found out BG1NPC project seems to be the mod that added that specific item and interaction but under their changelog it claims that they added compatibility with IR back in 2009? Wondering if your changes to IR could be undoing the compatibility.

Quotes from the relevant posts (initial report and fix).

On 9/9/2009 at 6:22 AM, Salk said:

BG1NPC project introduces a ring that according to description raises the Charisma of the wielder to 18. Together with IR, this increase is of only 1 point (and I do welcome it!). Could you please make a BG1 NPC check and, if positive, amend the text description so that the charisma modification is reported correctly?

On 9/17/2009 at 3:19 PM, cmorgan said:

Anyways, it is a small file to drop into place. Exported ~RING30.itm~ from a clean install and named it x#ringro.itm.

So, the original issue was that BG1NPC was creating its version via COPY_EXISTING, but assigning a new description that matched the unmodified abilities.  Therefore, the item description and abilities did not match up.  cmorgan's fix was to include a version of the unmodified item in BG1NPC to ensure the description would be accurate.

This is still how it is being done today:

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/blob/21764e059231e36240ea10513f1f6af6ee2003e4/bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2#L613-L618

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Whistling Sword: Interesting. Any way you can figure out for me the item resource name of the one that is not sw1h09.itm?

According to EE Keeper the resource name for the Sword that needs 4 Strength is (SW1H09_) while the one that needs 5 strength is (SW1H09).

I haven't tested a manual BGEE only install of your modded IR yet but I'm almost certain the missing animations for non-player races for Bastard Sword and Long Bows (Compounds are fine) are related to your 1pp components. I'll try some more to be sure but 6 months ago I played with default IR and those animations were fine. I'll try to do the same setup but with default IR and see if I get the same problem.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Made the same install but changed IRR and SRR back to IR and SR. The animations were fixed. I noticed some items had different icons (darts, the belt of sex change). The Whistling Sword was fixed, only one dropped and it was the 5 strength version and lastly the Lord Foreshadow's Ring of Human Influence (that's the in game name) remained the same giving 18 char so IR is not particularly taking care of it either. Never seen this ring before and apparently he doesn't give it to all my characters. Not sure what's the condition to trigger the gift.

Edited by NdranC

@Mike1072 Thanks for the relevant info! I'm assuming this mod is installed much later in the install order than IR, so there's quite frankly not much I can do about it. Now that you mention it, I do recall that I actually made this ring give +2 Charisma vs. IR's +1, as that's what other 18 set items got (and there are already a number of +1 Charisma items, which rather stole its thunder).

@NdranC Correct - that's because non-Revised IR is based on V3 of 1pp, which doesn't have those new animations, and so it installs bastard swords and bows to have the non-EE/1PP animations (aka vanilla ToB animations). However, that's why I'm curious about a non-modded Enhanced Edition install, because while non-Revised IR might not use those animations, the Enhanced Editions themselves do since they come with 1pp V4 pre-installed - all IRR does is detect whether you're on an EE install and patch items to use the already existing 1pp resources again if so. If a vanilla Enhanced Edition game has those animations broken, then that's something that should actually be fixed in the Enhanced Editions themselves (...and it would also imply that something about those animation slots would need to be fixed by 1pp itself so monster-type creatures get their correct animations for non-EE ToB games, but that's not of concern to you).

SW1H09_, huh? According to the thread I'm reading, this is the fault of EET, and the reason it happens is an attempt to preserve BG1 unique items (such as the Whistling Sword, Telbar's Armor, etc.) whose unique descriptions are lost when overwritten with BG2 generic items. However...I already fixed that, so it's just creating duplicates. Nevertheless, I think I can fix this.

Edited by Bartimaeus
8 hours ago, NdranC said:

Just quickly launched a completely unmodded version of BGEE to test it for you and the goblins around the Friendly Arm Inn have the Bastard Swords animations.

Thanks! I'll have to do more testing to see what's up there, since it should theoretically be the same exact animation. Only other thing I could suggest is installing IRR right now with nothing else, and seeing if those creatures break to directly confirm that this problem is indeed because of IRR.

(e): Figured out the problem, it's a BG1 issue. Now should be confirmed fixed. Thanks for the help, @NdranC.

Edited by Bartimaeus
10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Thanks! I'll have to do more testing to see what's up there, since it should theoretically be the same exact animation. Only other thing I could suggest is installing IRR right now with nothing else, and seeing if those creatures break to directly confirm that this problem is indeed because of IRR.

(e): Figured out the problem, it's a BG1 issue. Now should be confirmed fixed. Thanks for the help, @NdranC.

No thank you for putting some effort and free time on making something the rest of us can have fun with. Once you update to 1.2.5 with some of the fixes you managed I'll try a new install and see how it goes. Technically the Ring and the Sword problem can be easily fixed by just ignoring the ring and the second sword. It's inelegant but that's how it is. If 1.2.5 will take a while I might re-install with 1.2.4 and do a quick playthrough to see if I can spot anything else.

@Mike1072 Thanks for the relevant info! I'm assuming this mod is installed much later in the install order than IR, so there's quite frankly not much I can do about it. Now that you mention it, I do recall that I actually made this ring give +2 Charisma vs. IR's +1, as that's what other 18 set items got (and there are already a number of +1 Charisma items, which rather stole its thunder).

BG1NPC Project is installed pretty early I believe. At least the way it works in EET this mod needs to be installed first in your BGEE folder and then EET "imports" all the BGEE modded content into BG2EE and then you mod BG2EE with IR. I would imagine IR would be one of the last normal mods before SCS atweaks and Tweaks Anthology.

Edited by NdranC

The sword problem should be fixed as well. 1.2.5 should be done within a few days...-ish. The primary thing left is fixing the percentiles of effects. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble.

As for the ring...I mean, I guess I could just copy a version of the ring over their resource's name if it detects that it exists, effectively replacing it with IR's version. That's probably the easiest method. Is that what what you want?

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The sword problem should be fixed as well. 1.2.5 should be done within a few days...-ish. The primary thing left is fixing the percentiles of effects. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble.

As for the ring...I mean, I guess I could just copy a version of the ring over their resource's name if it detects that it exists, effectively replacing it with IR's version. That's probably the easiest method. Is that what what you want?

Honestly... It's your mod so it's up to you if you think its worth to maintain this change. BG1NPC Project is really popular and I'm surprised you haven't used it since it actually gives personalities to all the BG1 companions. If you think it wouldn't bother you or wouldn't be a problem for you later I would say, why not? Besides it seems that IR already takes that ring into account so you will just be feature matching in a way.

I haven't been able to play much today but I was able to corroborate that you indeed fixed the Bastard Swords around the Friendly Arm Inn at least.

I tried BG1 NPC some years back, and found that it did not seem very...homogeneous with the rest of the game (not that the BG series doesn't have writing consistency problems in of itself, mind you). Not everything is for everyone (and by most measures, I am a bit of a purist in terms of mods adding new content to begin with, so). I have added an additional check to see if the item in question exists and overwrite it with an additional copy of IR's version of the ring if so.

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I tried BG1 NPC some years back, and found that it did not seem very...homogeneous with the rest of the game (not that the BG series doesn't have writing consistency problems in of itself, mind you). Not everything is for everyone (and by most measures, I am a bit of a purist in terms of mods adding new content to begin with, so). I have added an additional check to see if the item in question exists and overwrite it with an additional copy of IR's version of the ring if so.

Thanks for the effort.

I discovered something else but I don't know if you would be willing to fix it since you don't play with the EE versions. I didn't notice before because I was speeding through the content and I know what all the items do but reading more carefully I noticed most (if not all) of the EE added items have the wrong names and description entries (usually potion names and descriptions). So for example the belt that Gorion wears it's called "Potion of Giant Strength" or something similar. Same for Neera's Staff or the Mace of Stunning.

I also noticed a typo in the Wand of Lightning you can get from that house in the north part of Beregoth. The description claims that they have to make a save with a -2 vs wands but the actual item "properties" at the bottom of the description claims that it's a -4 vs wands.

Great spot, @NdranC! Especially before I finalized 1.2.5 (as it actually came from the new 1.2.5 itself due to a small reorganization I did of the language file - I forgot that the potions descriptions already occupied a string block that I had just reserved for the EE items, which I had forgotten since the potions are in a different file). Fixed and a great thank you, since I would've never noticed that myself.

V1.2.5 now released on github. Changes:

1. Cloak of Mirroring's Reflected Image will more closely simulate SR's Reflected Image spell. The way it functioned before was weird, inconsistent, and not terribly effective - the new version will activate upon sight of hostile creatures, and should hopefully keep creating a new image every round the same as the SR spell until combat ends.
  2. Similarly to above, Cloak of Displacement's visual effect will only apply while in combat (but the stat bonuses will always apply regardless of whether you're in combat or not). Does anyone have any ideas for other items with permanent visual effects that might benefit from this treatment? Alternatively, does anyone think this is a bad idea?
  3. The hypnotic axe form of Rod of Lordly Might +3 is tentatively receiving a third combat ability in the form of a 33% stunning effect, so virtually every hit should attempt to cause some sort of "hypnotic" effect.
  4. Short Sword of Mask +4 gets its Stealthblade bonus back, just at a reduced frequency from the +5 variant (15% instead of 25%). The paralyzing effect is still exclusive to the +5 version.
  5. BG1 NPC Project's Ring of Human Influence's stats now match IR's version of the ring if that mod is installed before IR.
  6. Greater compatibility with EET and the way it creates reserve copies of unique BG1 items (which I was already doing following BGT's lead, but EET's approach differed - now they've been unified as best as I can).
  7. The BG1-style Ring of Sorcery now has a blue gem to help distinguish it from the Ring of Wizardry (why does BG1:EE handle item icons differently from BG2:EE? Sigh...might have to create BG1-specific ones to make it perfectly consistent).
  8. Noticing that EET makes an additional copy of Ankheg Plate Mail under a different resource name, I investigated and observed that BG1's description of the item was different and specifically mentioned being forged by Taerom with the possible aid of hedge wizard Thalantyr (which the BG2 version does not mention). I decided to take this opportunity to separate the BG1 and BG2 versions of this item as it has annoyed me for some time how expensive it was to forge this armor in BG2 for a measly Plate Mail +1, and yet as +2 it's pretty overpowered in BG1. Now the version you can make in BG2 is +2 again, while the ones you find/make in BG1 are +1. It's not a perfect solution, but I've been a bit at a loss as to what to do here for a while, so it's a little bit just seizing the opportunity that EET has made here.
  9. Blackrazor's enchantment level has been increased to +4, bringing it in line with Daystar and the Equalizer as being the most powerful long swords in SoA. I know some people wanted it +5, but I'm pretty hesitant to do that given it would make it only the second +5 weapon in all of SoA (the other being the Staff of the Magi from Twisted Rune, of course).
  10. A minor overhaul of Store Revisions. More unlimited unenchanted, inexpensive items so that stores don't ever get completely emptied out for forever if you buy everything for them...which means you could theoretically steal piles of long swords and sell them to a fence, but that's such an unbelievable waste of time that this is more of a flavor change than anything (also, you could just as well rest in places that spawn enemies that drop items as well). Still considering making stuff like potions from potion makers and ammunition from fletchers (with thieving totally disabled, of course), but haven't done it yet. Note again that this only applies to inexpensive items for merchants that can be stolen from (I think light or maybe heavy crossbows were the most expensive item to get this).
  11. Testing splitting Potion of Energy Shielding into two different potions - Potion of Energy Protection (the +50% bonus to energy resistance to 1 turn potion, replaces Potion of Magic Dispelling) and Potion of Energy Shielding (automatic saving throws for 1 turn). Also up for consideration is the Potion of Perception, which is kind of just a bad version of Potion of Sight, but I haven't had much of any ideas as to what to do with it yet.

Bug/oversight fixes:

1. Percentiles of hopefully all items were fixed, totaling about 100 items that had effects that occurred slightly more often than they should (as per this post).
  2. Gromnir now properly equips Shadow Veil.
  3. Arrow of Explosion is no longer magic resistable.
  4. Anomen's Holy Symbol should be usable by him again even if his alignment changes to good.
  5. Ring of Human Influence's double projectile animation problem has been fixed.
  6. Fixed the BG1:EE version of Belt of Trollish Fortitude not having its Regeneration ability.
  7. Helm of Charm Protection now has the Mind Shield icon, to go along with all other charm-protecting items having it.
  8. Staff of Earth's Earthsaking ability was happening at 5% frequency instead of the described 15%.
  9. Taralash +4 was missing its crippling ability entirely (Taralash +5 was fine).
  10. Fixed an issue with BG1 creatures' weapon animations not working properly (e.g. the Hobgoblins outside of the Friendly Arm Inn).
  11. Crossbow of Affliction +4 was missing its scourging ability entirely (how embarrassing - not sure when this happened!).
  12. Carsomyr's Dispel Magic ability should hopefully actually be Dispel Magic again if you're playing with SRR. (@DrAzTiK, let me know how this goes, as I wasn't a hundred percent clear on whether this was actually the problem you were having.)
  13. Saving Grace's condition somehow got mussed up at some point, and so its blinding effect was not firing correctly (note: only fires upon hostiles).
  14. Cloak of Nature's Wrath's percentile was set on its equip ability rather the actual spell-firing bit...so 25% of the time you equipped it, it worked every time, and 75% of the time you equipped it, it never worked. Yuck.
Edited by Bartimaeus

I'm glad I was able to help you out. I'm looking forward to starting a new playthrough with 1.2.5 and see how it goes. I really like the changes you have made to IR and SR in general and particularly the item descriptions. I though it was going to be harder for you to deal with that EE problem.

I hope you saw my comment on  the Wand of Lightning. Didn't see any mention of it in your change log.

I have been reading in the item descriptions that potions buffs can't be dispelled but I seem to remember reading that the original IR changes that back without updating the item description. Can I assume that since you left that line in then that means then remain undispellable?

EDIT: I noticed this before but I forgot to bring it up. Buckley's Buckler seems to have an inconsistent type of description compared to other Bucklers or Shields for that matter. It says "Equipped Abilities: Constitution: +1 bonus" then it has the rest of it's ability text down at the bottom while other shields say "-Armor Class: +1" under equipped abilities using a different description format.

Edited by NdranC

I forgot about the Wand of Lightning, but I fixed that now. Whoops! As for potions, that's correct, potions cannot be dispelled. They are considered alchemical, not magic.

This is Buckley's Buckler's description:

A rectangle of mammoth hide forms this small shield. No amount of cleansing can dispel the pong of decay from this poorly tanned device, yet somehow the malodorous shield fortifies its wielder.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
 Constitution: +1 bonus

Armor Class Bonus: 1
Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 4
Requires: 4 Strength
Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

This is Kiel's Buckler's description:

This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion-Killer, first-born son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. He was wielding it in his final hour as he rushed to warn his father of the doppelgangers' infiltration of their Clan-home. This light weight shield of excellent craftsmanship bears powerful magical enhancements, and it is said that part of Kiel's force of will imprinted itself upon this shield.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
 Protects Against: Hold and Stun

Armor Class Bonus: 3
Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

The Enhanced Editions automatically reformat descriptions to a degree, but I'm not super familiar with exactly how. From your description, it sounds like Buckley's is following the IR format, while all other shields use a different format?

(e): Oh my lord, this forum so desperately needs a bbcode mode. The spoiler below was me trying to put the descriptions in spoilers at first. That's what I get for trying, I guess.

A rectangle of mammoth hide forms this small shield. No amount of cleansing can dispel the pong of decay from this poorly tanned device, yet somehow the malodorous shield fortifies its wielder.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion-Killer, first-born son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. He was wielding it in his final hour as he rushed to warn his father of the doppelgangers' infiltration of their Clan-home. This light weight shield of excellent craftsmanship bears powerful magical enhancements, and it is said that part of Kiel's force of will imprinted itself upon this shield.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

The Enhanced Editions automatically reformat descriptions to a degree, but I'm not super familiar with how it does it. From your description, it sounds like Buckley's is following the IR format, while all other shields use a different format?

Edited by Bartimaeus
14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I forgot about the Wand of Lightning, but I fixed that now. Whoops! As for potions, that's correct, potions cannot be dispelled. They are considered alchemical, not magic.

This is Buckley's Buckler's description:

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

Hide contents

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Not Usable By:
 Mage
 Monk
 Kensai

The Enhanced Editions automatically reformat descriptions to a degree, but I'm not super familiar with how it does it. From your description, it sounds like Buckley's is following the IR format, while all other shields use a different format?

https://imgur.com/a/TGbPEWj

Buckley's Buckler and the Buckler+1 seem to be more consistent with each other than any other normal Buckler or even other Small, Medium or Large Shields.

Edited by NdranC

I see two different formats here. Buckler which puts both the AC and -1 missile protection bonus under "Equipped abilities:" (I've never written the "abilities" as lower-case, so we can assume this is an EE description), Buckler +1 which follows the IR format, and Buckley's Buckler which also follows the IR format.

So the one that doesn't follow the IR format is your buckler...and a little part of my brain is telling me that the EEs have extra shields from when they installed 1pp that BG1 uses that the non-EE version of the game does not, so I would guess that the buckler you're looking at is one that is not affected by IR at all. If the item you're looking at's resource name is shld(number)(number)(letter).itm, that's a 1pp shield that I guess I should probably get around to handling via IR for the EEs sometime.

Edited by Bartimaeus