IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@pochesun If you're playing an EE game, then no, not really, just a couple of bug fixes and scroll-adding patches I wrote down that I need to get around to, oh and the optional Remove Magic revision for SR. I should probably do those first, but I've been working on the new 1pp compatibility problem instead.

Please make sure potion of speed and Slow is fixed :) On my minimum reloads run its important :)

Also, what is scroll-adding patch?

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

And now it's...

• +2 AC (no Rings of Protection +2 in BG1 makes this special)
  • +4 AC bonus vs. missiles
  • -3 saving throws vs. death
  • +3 saving throws vs everything else
  • -10% HP

I just checked my old save from BG 1and i had Ring of Protection +2 equipped on my main charachter. Probably from Durlag's Tower or from somewhere in Baldur's Gate city, cant remember exactly though. I think for the Claws you can safely make at least 20% malus to hit points and -5 death save.

Also wanted to ask you. I have IR armor component revision installed. While playing my previous run, during Siege of Dragonspear section i came across different unique armors that added certain additional AC for specific damage types. It occured to me though that the description of those unique armors is absolutely irrelevant since, it looks like, armor AC bonuses to damage types behave according to general table of bonuses. For instnace a unique armor saying that it acts as hide armor and in AC bonuses "Armor Class: 4 (6 vs. piercing and missile)" but in reality  it behaves as -1 bonus to crushing , + 1 malus to missile and +1 malus to piercing, as this table says 

The are numerous inconsistencies between discription and actual armor effects in the game. I am not sure if it was meant to be this way, thats why i am asking :) I guess noone took a look at those since Siege was released past several years after that table was composed, but i am curios if anythign could be done about that. 

Potion of Speed: Should be definitively dealt with in the latest repository (but not the latest release aka V1.3.100 - have to download the latest repository version). I specifically tested it after installing IRR and SRR and it seemed to work correctly.

Scrolls: While playing BG1, I determined a handful of fitting locations for a few low level spells added by SR not otherwise represented outside of the two spell shops in the game. But I have to actually patch them in.

Ring of Protection: Apparently, there is a Ring of Protection +2 on Razamith. Didn't know/remember this, but it's late enough in the game as to not affect the Claw of Kazgaroth, in my opinion. For now, the Claw has -15% HP and -5 saving throws vs. death.

Siege of Dragonspear: Not surprised. The EEs decided to add the specific bonuses/penalties each armor type has to each armor item's description, which the original games didn't. So mods made for the original game will not state those bonuses, and as IR was made for ToBEx games and not the EEs (and it has never been fixed after the fact), those items continue to erroneously state the incorrect bonuses when using IR's revised armor bonuses. Non-EE items (i.e. items found in the original game) avoid this fate because IR does a complete overwrite of their descriptions stripping the bonus AC text entirely, hence the inconsistency. I had planned on doing all of Siege of Dragonspear and BG2EE items (I already completed the BG1EE items), but it's a low priority at this point in time. If someone collected all of the unmodified SoD/BG2EE .itm files and put their descriptions into a text file for me, I could much more easily do it, but as I'm not an EE player, I don't even know what items I would need to collect to begin with.

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Potion of Speed: Should be definitively dealt with in the latest repository (but not the latest release aka V1.3.100 - have to download the latest repository version). I specifically tested it after installing IRR and SRR and it seemed to work correctly.

I feel dumb. What is repository version :)

36 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If someone collected all of the unmodified SoD/BG2EE .itm files and put their descriptions into a text file for me, I could much more easily do it, but as I'm not an EE player, I don't even know what items I would need to collect to begin with.

I probably start doing this with my next run, but it will surely take time and i dont promise anything :)

firefox_AGTDQrb6Xy.png

Click on the green "Code" button, then "Download ZIP". When you do that on a github project/repository page, it downloads the very latest versions of files that are uploaded to github.

@EE items: Doesn't affect me, so I'm not exactly worried about it, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
43 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If someone collected all of the unmodified SoD/BG2EE .itm files and put their descriptions into a text file for me, I could much more easily do it, but as I'm not an EE player, I don't even know what items I would need to collect to begin with.

I could probably do this with IE but do you know of a way to filter down the list to only items from SoD? I guess if it was easy you wouldn't need help. I'm gonna give it a shot and see what I can find. Even if it's a few at a time. I'm gonna use the wiki to help myself out.

I do remember that I got a Ring of Free Action and for some reason the one you can get in SoD was vanilla even though I had already another gotten from BG1 that was patched by IR. I guess the SoD one uses a different .itm file which seems weird.

Ring of Clumsiness: I agree with you, not a big fan of percentage based stat changes. It's hard to balance since we play with 3e like stats. That being said, isn't that what IR balances around anyway? In vanilla, if you had a character with average strength (lets say 10) the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength would patch this weakness on a character and make them a good fighter while an already good fighter would not benefit at all from it. Thanks to IR changes to item stats now the belt can benefit both characters but not truly without 3e like stats. The character that was already strong gets even more busted quickly while the character with 10 strength now has 13 and no combat improvements to show for it. It's kinda the reason why you changed the Claw of Kazgaroth to be -10% for the vanilla con system while I think with the 3e stats the -2 con would preserve that DnD feeling a lot more. Besides interacting with attributes feels more fun to me than +10% more this or that.

In the spirit of making cursed items interesting trade-offs, I'm stretching the cause of the clumsiness to be recklessness or poorly thought out actions. The lore description on the ring doesn't exclude this possibility. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the Jester met his ultimate demise at the hands of that wizard and couldn't escape "quickly enough". The strength was an attempt to give something of value to melee characters.

On the mage side of things:

1/5 change to fail your spell cast but your spells cast 4 faster.

On the fighter side of things:

Your thaco is worse by -2 but your damage is +4 OR maybe spray and pray "flailing" style more APR.

An alternative interesting effect could be to make the weapon drop to the ground or to your inventory with a 5% chance. Not sure how easy that would be to pull off.

Maybe you are so uncoordinated now that you have a horrible off-hand thaco killing dual-wielding. Or a random chance that when you are attacking you can fall prone for 1 round. The upside needs to be worth it for SOME builds. Or at least addressable to some degree with magic, potions, scrolls or gameplay choices.

1 hour ago, NdranC said:

I could probably do this with IE but do you know of a way to filter down the list to only items from SoD? I guess if it was easy you wouldn't need help. I'm gonna give it a shot and see what I can find. Even if it's a few at a time. I'm gonna use the wiki to help myself out.

I do remember that I got a Ring of Free Action and for some reason the one you can get in SoD was vanilla even though I had already another gotten from BG1 that was patched by IR. I guess the SoD one uses a different .itm file which seems weird.

It could probably be easier to do it via EEKeeper by creating a saved file and adding to it every item from SoD one by one. 

I also noticed some funny discrepancies in SoD version of items: for instance belt that protects from slash attacks +3 (Golden Girdle Or something like that) and the same item i assume patched by IR giving +4 AC against slash.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:46 AM, NdranC said:

As far as i remember, a lot of SOD files are prefixed BD*.itm, after that they are named exactly as BG basic items (BDAMUL, BDLEAT, BDCLCK, etc.)  maybe this can help you to determine what was added by this extension.

Here's a basic list of the group of items i found so far : (just replace "xx" with appropriate numbers/letters)

BDAMULxx.itm // amulets

BDAROWxx.itm // arrows

BDAX1Hxx.itm // axes

BDBELTxx.itm // girdles/belts

BDBLUNxx.itm // blunt weapons

BDBOLTxx.itm // bolts

BDBOOKxx.itm // books

BDBOOTxx.itm // boots

BDBOWxx.itm // bows

BDBRACxx.itm // bracers

BDBRDxx.itm // bard's items

BDBULLxx.itm // bullets

BDCHANxx.itm /// chain/splint mails

BDCLCKxx.itm // cloaks/robes

BDDAGGxx.itm // daggers

BDHALBxx.itm // halberds

BDHAMMxx.itm // warhammers

BDHELMxx.itm // helms/hats

BDIOUNxx.itm // ioun stones

BDKEYxx.itm // keys

BDLEATxx.itm // leather armors

BDLOINCL.itm // special cloak

BDMIRROR.itm // special mirror

BDMISCxx.itm // misc/quest items

BDMISXxx.itm // misc/quest items 2

BDPETSG.itm // stone ally misc item

BDPLATxx.itm // plate/full plate armors

BDPOTNxx.itm // potions

BDRINGxx.itm // rings

BDROBExx.itm // robes

BDSCRLxx.itm // scrolls

BDSHLDxx.itm // shields

BDSLNGxx.itm // slings

BDSPERxx.itm // spears

BDSTAFxx.itm // quaterstaves

BDSW1Hxx.itm // 1h-swords

BDSW2Hxx.itm // 2h-swords

BDXBOWxx.itm // crossbows

Hope it will help you.

Edited by ptifab
On 8/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Is this something that can be backported to SR/IR?  I noticed in my install from a couple months ago that potions of speed don't use the k1#haste sectype and thus are not incorporated into kreso's haste/slow dynamics.  Can you talk about your changes here? 

Also more generally, you spoke earlier about having done some work to make the order of installation work better (I think you settled on [IR base] -> [SR base] -> [rest of IR] -> [rest of SR]).  Can you talk about what changes you made?  It seems silly that I'm trying to figure out from scratch what to update, when it's already a solved problem.

Or how about just a pull request, so the work doesn't have to be done twice?  Something like that?  If changes benefit SR/IR as a whole doesn't it make sense to make them there?  SRR/IRR gets the benefit of any improvements we make SR/IR anyway...

7 hours ago, ptifab said:

Hope it will help you.

This could definitely help. Thank you! I'm probably gonna find sometime this weekend and see what I can get done.

@Bartimaeus I got some more annoying questions.

The way I understand how IR(R) works:

The "main component" basically just has a lot of custom versions of vanilla items like the Claw of Kazgaroth that the mod just copies over to the override folder and then proceeds to patch the right dialog.tlk strings for the descriptions to match.

Every other component will use patch routines to standardize items to a new set of behavior based on either the armor/weapon stat tables or the different sub-components that change backstab multipliers, etc. Presumably these patch routines could also patch items copied over by the "main component", so if the main component installs a custom version of the Scarlet Ninja-To, then IR(R) further modifies it based on other settings like what the weapon table says the damage of a ninja-to should be like.

On top of all of this I think there is custom "exception" code that will purposely exclude custom IR(R) items to be patched by the sub-components if they are meant to be different than other items in that category. For example custom named daggers that do 1d6 damage instead of 1d4.

Assuming I understand all of this correctly. Does IR(R) only patch items that are in the lib/*_list.tpa files? So if a mod adds a new ninja-to but I told IR to make ninja-tos 1d12 slashing, any new items that were properly installed before running IR(R) will NOT see their stats changed?

If I were to add items to this list manually. What is the extend of the automatic description modifications? Will items added by other mods have descriptions that perfectly match IR(R) items? My assumption based on the little code I saw is that it will adapt the blurb at the end of the item, like the strength requirement or add the "damage type: slashing" line to it but the main item effects at the top will not be adapted. Like for example, it will not remove the hyphen from each item special effect/ability.

Assuming the above is correct. I noticed that @Cahir already provided you with updated *_list.tpa for items dealt with by the SoD-to-BG2 mod. Does that mean that most SoD items should be already getting patched by the sub-components? (Probably something only cahir would not the answer to) Then it's stands to reason that the only thing you are missing is manually going through all the SoD items and change the ones you feel need a manual touch up so they better fit the IR(R) ethos?

---------

On a separate note. At what caster level do items cast spells? and is it affected by other mods that change the scroll casting levels?

How do you feel about changing descriptions to dice numbers from 1D12 to 1d12 or changing the upper case on description items like "Damage type: slashing" to "Damage Type: Slashing" to be more consistent with other items stat entries like "Proficiency Type: Axe" or "Speed Factor: 6". These are changes I already make to IR(R) and SR(R) descriptions every time myself based on my own preference. My love for ocd like consistency is the bane of my modding adventures on any game.

2 hours ago, NdranC said:

This could definitely help. Thank you! I'm probably gonna find sometime this weekend and see what I can get done.

@Bartimaeus I got some more annoying questions.

The way I understand how IR(R) works:

The "main component" basically just has a lot of custom versions of vanilla items like the Claw of Kazgaroth that the mod just copies over to the override folder and then proceeds to patch the right dialog.tlk strings for the descriptions to match.

Every other component will use patch routines to standardize items to a new set of behavior based on either the armor/weapon stat tables or the different sub-components that change backstab multipliers, etc. Presumably these patch routines could also patch items copied over by the "main component", so if the main component installs a custom version of the Scarlet Ninja-To, then IR(R) further modifies it based on other settings like what the weapon table says the damage of a ninja-to should be like.

On top of all of this I think there is custom "exception" code that will purposely exclude custom IR(R) items to be patched by the sub-components if they are meant to be different than other items in that category. For example custom named daggers that do 1d6 damage instead of 1d4.

Assuming I understand all of this correctly. Does IR(R) only patch items that are in the lib/*_list.tpa files? So if a mod adds a new ninja-to but I told IR to make ninja-tos 1d12 slashing, any new items that were properly installed before running IR(R) will NOT see their stats changed?

If I were to add items to this list manually. What is the extend of the automatic description modifications? Will items added by other mods have descriptions that perfectly match IR(R) items? My assumption based on the little code I saw is that it will adapt the blurb at the end of the item, like the strength requirement or add the "damage type: slashing" line to it but the main item effects at the top will not be adapted. Like for example, it will not remove the hyphen from each item special effect/ability.

Assuming the above is correct. I noticed that @Cahir already provided you with updated *_list.tpa for items dealt with by the SoD-to-BG2 mod. Does that mean that most SoD items should be already getting patched by the sub-components? (Probably something only cahir would not the answer to) Then it's stands to reason that the only thing you are missing is manually going through all the SoD items and change the ones you feel need a manual touch up so they better fit the IR(R) ethos?

---------

On a separate note. At what caster level do items cast spells? and is it affected by other mods that change the scroll casting levels?

How do you feel about changing descriptions to dice numbers from 1D12 to 1d12 or changing the upper case on description items like "Damage type: slashing" to "Damage Type: Slashing" to be more consistent with other items stat entries like "Proficiency Type: Axe" or "Speed Factor: 6". These are changes I already make to IR(R) and SR(R) descriptions every time myself based on my own preference. My love for ocd like consistency is the bane of my modding adventures on any game.

Non-vanilla/IR item handling: It depends. Your specific example of "changing the damage amount for a weapon type" *should* automatically catch all weapons of that type regardless of whether or not IR/R knows about them, because IR/R has a weapon identifying function that looks for specific signs that helps identify weapon types to do its mass changes - such as proficiency type, animation type, current base damage, etc. In contrast, armors and shields need specific lists of static resource names because it is more difficult to identify them reliably (particularly armors which have overlapping animation usage with e.g. splint and chain mail; leather, studded, and hide; plate and full plate), and where even if it tried to use some clues to automatically identify armor/shield types, it would likely just cause problems with mod-added items that don't always conform. If there are specific mod-added armors/shields you're thinking of that aren't in those tables, you're free to report them and what type they by just saying e.g. "bestleat.itm is studded leather", and I can add them.

Description re-writing: How much description re-writing is done depends, again, on the particular item and what its description looks like before IR/R attempts to patch it. Description patching is done through macros where it attempts to find particular lines for exact matches to then see if it can replace them. However, I think you're right in that IR/R does not attempt to totally re-write the technical details of generic items it's patching. I am not an expert with these macros - the few times I've looked at them, I have gotten very annoyed with trying to follow them for doing very minor changes. And the IR format is so different from the vanilla/EE formats that it would be quite difficult to automatically re-arrange those formats to match IR's just through macro patching (and there's a high likelihood of something going wrong with other mod-added items it tries to patch that may not always be perfectly consistent, which is why the simple list system is used to identify particular armors/shields and their types). Ideally, all BG1:EE (already done?), BG2:EE, and BG:SoD items will be handled directly by IRR at some point so at least all non-mod-added items will be covered and use the correct format.

SoD items: Yeah, no idea on my part, never used it, don't know what those items are, I just included Cahir's additions since he was kind enough to share them.

Caster level: Little bit of a sore point - this is information that I'd like to include, but have found it onerous to do so from a formatting perspective. If not specifically mentioned otherwise, it should always be 10th level, though I think there might be just a couple of exceptions (e.g. Carsomyr's Dispel Magic is cast at level).

"Damage type: slashing": I'm in favor of changing this to "Damage Type: Slashing" for consistency with everything else being upper-case. I'd have to make sure it plays nice with the macros first, though.

Dice case: I prefer the upper-case: it's simply what Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 has always used and so it's what I'm used to and seems right to me now. I'm aware it is not generally preferred by other people who play with the EEs (where it was, for the most part, changed to lowercase). There are possible solutions to have the option of setting it, but they'd be very annoying to maintain - I was kind of hoping that at some point, CDTweaks would be able to handle it since there had been talk in the CDTweaks thread about the possibility of coding up some components that mass-set stuff like that for OCD people.

3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Is this something that can be backported to SR/IR?  I noticed in my install from a couple months ago that potions of speed don't use the k1#haste sectype and thus are not incorporated into kreso's haste/slow dynamics.  Can you talk about your changes here? 

Also more generally, you spoke earlier about having done some work to make the order of installation work better (I think you settled on [IR base] -> [SR base] -> [rest of IR] -> [rest of SR]).  Can you talk about what changes you made?  It seems silly that I'm trying to figure out from scratch what to update, when it's already a solved problem.

Or how about just a pull request, so the work doesn't have to be done twice?  Something like that?  If changes benefit SR/IR as a whole doesn't it make sense to make them there?  SRR/IRR gets the benefit of any improvements we make SR/IR anyway...

Haste: I added entries in the haste_slow.tpa to account for more IRR/SRR resources. I don't know what all applies to IR/SR, but you may use/repurpose what you like of it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cyqw6kiyg73gdpy/kreso_haste_slow.tph (use a tool like WinMerge to easily compare against the original...also much nicer, in my opinion, than GitHub's borderline unreadable comparisons)

Install order stuff: I'll tag you again later today after I have some time to write stuff.

Regarding description rewriting. I've been doing it and so far it seems to work. I've also added (manually instead of a macro though) "Keen:" to every scimitar since I play with 3e scimitars. Lower casing dice both in SR and IR and up-casing the damage types and what not. Now my experience is not exhaustive but so far it's been working and haven't noticed any inconsistencies.

Now that I have your attention on descriptions. I think weapon proficiencies have 2 inconsistency issues.

The ones patched (short sword, katana, mace... maybe another one, can check at the moment) their translation files have them listed this way

<DOT1>
<DOT2>
<DOT3>
<DOT4>
<DOT5>

without any spaces. I'm not sure if this is EE only but all other proficiencies have spaces/line breaks between every <DOT> entry.

The other issue I have with them, and this might be a personal one, is that I prefer weapons to list their proficiency as the actual weapon they are. So currently, both short swords and ninja-tos show "Proficiency Type: Short Sword" while I think it would be more intelligible if it was "Proficiency Type: Short Sword" or"Proficiency Type: Ninja-To" based on the actual weapon it is. To match this change, I think the actual proficiency names in the proficiency screen should be "Short Sword/Ninja-To" or "Katana/Wakisashi" or "Mace/Morning Star".

This way you can tell what weapon something is by looking at it's proficiency while at the same time you can tell what proficiency is relevant for that weapon based on the name of said proficiency mentioning both weapons it pertains to.

I believe if you install the cdtweaks component that changes weapons proficiencies on top of IR it fixes some of these issues, but I keep fixing them myself by creating my own functions in the code that call for the macros to rename them properly. About the only one I haven't wanted to mess with creating is the "Keen:" one for scimitars since I'm not sure I understand how to do it yet so I just manually do it. Obviously it's up to you, but if I can convince you to like some of these changes it will offload some of the work I have to manually do every time I download a new version of IRR and SRR 😛

SR descriptions:

This is probably also a personal taste thing, but, do you think it might be worth it to add a new item to the top of spell descriptions, maybe right after the "Saves: partial" that at a glance highlights if the spell bypasses MR? Just as a convenience thing mostly. Maybe we could add some of the mage chess info there as well, like if something is considered a spell protection or a combat protection. Just a thought.