Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

I posted it in the v9 post, but it probably belongs here:

I find resting to fully restore HP and spell slots completely overpowered personally, as the cost for doing so is usually very low (even if you get disturbed while resting) and so it's easy to spam. It really undermines the need for resource management in regards to spells, at least in my opinion.

A component to disable resting by setting the "can't rest here" flag, either everywhere, or only inside dungeons, would help, even if the PoE resource based system is the best in my opinion.

This might have to be limited to IWD and IWDEE only to prevent weird NPC interactions in other games.

Hi,

Is it possible to make a colorblind component for scrolls* ?

The purpose of this component would be to show the "state" of each scroll (impossible to cast/learn for the current char, castable, learnable, already learnt) with something else than colors.

let's say for example : a little sign in the up-right corner :
 - a cross (X) : not usable/learnable
 - a slash (/) : usable but not learnable
 - an empty circle (o) : learnable
 - a circle filled : already learnt

I hope you get the idea : as long it's not based (only) on colors it would be great.

I don't even know if it's doable...

Thank you

3 hours ago, Fouinto said:

Hi,

Is it possible to make a colorblind component for scrolls* ?

The purpose of this component would be to show the "state" of each scroll (impossible to cast/learn for the current char, castable, learnable, already learnt) with something else than colors.

I don't even know if it's doable...

Thank you

Yes, at least in the EE's, the files used are STORTINT.BAM (red/unusable), STORTIN2.BAM (blue/unidentried), and STORTIN3.BAM (green/learnable).

These overlays apply to all items though, not just scrolls, and only one displays at a time, with priority going to blue/unid, then red/unusable, then green/learnable.

So it could show unidentified with a "?" in each corner, unusable with a  "X" in each corner, or learnable with a "O" in each corner, or nothing in none of those applied.

18 hours ago, kjeron said:

Yes, at least in the EE's, the files used are STORTINT.BAM (red/unusable), STORTIN2.BAM (blue/unidentried), and STORTIN3.BAM (green/learnable).

These overlays apply to all items though, not just scrolls, and only one displays at a time, with priority going to blue/unid, then red/unusable, then green/learnable.

So it could show unidentified with a "?" in each corner, unusable with a  "X" in each corner, or learnable with a "O" in each corner, or nothing in none of those applied.

Thank you 😀 !

With your information I was able to do something ugly but that DOES work for me (NearInfinity is such a tool !). Checked on my PC (EET) and on my mobile (BG1EE & BG2EE) : perfect 😍.

I have attached the 3 files for colorblind people that want to test it (copy files to override folder). Just keep in mind it's probably useless if you're not colorblind yourself :)

I wish I had asked before... 🤣

I you ask me, I think it would be a good component for Tweaks Anthology - Cosmetics.

STORTINT.BAM STORTIN3.BAM STORTIN2.BAM

I'm currently going through the thread for v10 ideas, but I will definitely be including the colorblind stuff. Here's an in-game comparison for those interested.colorblind.jpg

edit: And while these files exist in the originals, how they're applied in the engine is completely different. I tried making oBG2 versions and you can't see the letters at all, so this will be an EE-only component.

Edited by CamDawg

I've caught up compiling suggestions from the thread and the first post will be updated shortly. Some of these suggestions I'm rejecting, for the reasons outlined below.

These are already done somewhere else. Evidence to the contrary, I'm not actually interested in assimilating everything into Tweaks.

• Trap Detection mod - @kjeron already has an excellent mod for this
  • After playing through IWD:EE I think we need an option to use the IWD spell effects. They are just IMO better. Grease, Web, Clouds all look much cleaner. - I think this is a good idea, but I think I'd rather tackle it as part of IWDification than tweaks.
  • Let users scale the XP rewards from killing creatures. This would address DEFJAM not being compatible with the EEs and Let users scale the XP rewards from quests. This would address DEFJAM not being compatible with the EEs. I'd rather just see DEFJAM updated.
  • Add the Pack Mule Mod to the cheats section, updated to work with all games
  • For people soloing BGEE with a lot of mods- we can quite easily get to HLA, which crashes the game since that isn't available in BGEE. I believe CoM already has a 'High Level Abilities for BGEE mod"
  • I have a suggestion to include in this compilation two mods that have already been published: Blazing Inferno and Ammoless.
  • Any chance of integrating the equivalent of no cosmetic attacks found into BG:EE options into tweaks anthology? This is a menu option on EEs and only possible in the original engine by messing with the exe. TobEx does it for BG2.

These aren't possible in the engine (at least, AFAICT)

• Limit the number of attacks based on the Weapon's Speed Factor.
  • BG - See if you can force Bhaal dreams to always occur on next sleep
  • A way to modify the amount of damage required before a chraacter gets chunked (so from -10 HP to -30 HP, for example) rather than disabling it completely
  • If possible I'd really like an option to prevent the first class becoming inactive when Dual-Classing a character.
  • I was wondering if its possible to tweak the Reveal Detail a bit. like removing the health and name display above charname and npcs.

These aren't good fits for Tweaks.While Tweaks does carry some legacy components, because of it's normal last place in the install order there are a number of suggestions that simply aren't appropriate. Fixes, for example, or components that add new items or other content or suggestions that are large enough that they should be their own thing.

• Better support in cutscenes for Familiars.
  • More kit selections for NPCs
  • What about infighting ? Is it possible?
  • Probably out of scope, but I think a "Camp like Pillars of Eternity" mod would be perfect.
  • Can we extend "Make Xan a Generalist Mage" to other NPC mages as well?
  • To make the pickpocketing skill usefull, we should make baldur similar to Dragon Age : every neutral character should have some money/potions/scroll/jewelery etc... A neutral noble character should have more money than a beggar etc...
  • Replace functionally identical unique items with the generic counteparts

Stuff that's already added (mainly thanks to @argent77)

• Would it be possible to add the nice glowy effect to the "IWD Casting Graphics" option? - This was done in the IWDification update and has been added to Tweaks for v10.
  • It would be nice to be able to increase the speed of party when there is no enemies in sight to make exploration faster. (similar to pillar of eternity gameplay) .
  • Would it be possible to add @argent77's Undersigil Exploration FoW tweak to the pack for Ps:T?
  • Is it possible to make a colorblind component for scrolls* ?
Edited by CamDawg
1 hour ago, CamDawg said:

• I was wondering if its possible to tweak the Reveal Detail a bit. like removing the health and name display above charname and npcs.

This one can be realized in the EE engine. I've made a small mod for it some time ago: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80609/non-cluttered-object-highlights

But since it requires a two-step installation to be fully functional it is not something that fits into Tweaks Anthology.

4 hours ago, CamDawg said:

• If possible I'd really like an option to prevent the first class becoming inactive when Dual-Classing a character.

No, but if you convinced Beamdog to add an action or opcode to set the OriginalClass bits, modders could at least play around with this. (It would help with the SCS 'NPC Customization' component too, since I hear it can trip over dual-classes.)

Frankly my biggest suggestion for Tweaks is... to split it up. This thing is a bear to install and uninstall, especially if you miss something and have to go back to the middle for a component. I cannot seem to divine much organizational structure (I know that is difficult to impose when you are constrained by pre-existing DESIGNATED component numbers). It's hard to remember which tweaks are where, and why. Just make it less of a giant haystack.

(I know that is probably not realistic, and maybe more trouble than it's worth. It is simply my biggest gripe with the mod. Everything else is great.)

Would love to have a tweak that stops you from putting more points then needed into thief skill points.

Consider there is alsp a mod that actually relies on high thieving skills from olvynchuru. Cheers

Guest mro1978

would love it if this tweak restores the cleric/ranger to its former glory........by getting access to every divine spell. There are several OP classes in this game and several tweaks to make characters OP why not add this one?

5 hours ago, Guest mro1978 said:

would love it if this tweak restores the cleric/ranger to its former glory........by getting access to every divine spell. There are several OP classes in this game and several tweaks to make characters OP why not add this one?

You don't need a mod for this. Just edit the baldur.lua file.