About thieving skills in armour

Belanos

Warning: handwaving follows. :)

Here's my take on this: I do think that a shield would impede thieving abilities. However, unlike mages, I declined to add a penalty for practical reasons. In my BG/2 experience I find the majority of spellcasting is done under combat conditions, while the majority of thieving activities do not. As shields can be easily put aside, I don't think they should necessarily affect thieving abilities just by being equipped as I make the assumption that thieving activities occur during non-combat situations when the shield can be put aside. Mages, on the other hand, are generally trying to use magic under combat situations when they will need their shields; even if they're hiding in the back row they can not necessarily put away the shield. (The player has the option to unequip the shield in combat and let them cast without penalty but then they will at least lose the benefits as well.)

The matter is subjective of course--there's no good reason a mage should miscast a contingency while he's sitting in an inn and a thief trying to disarm a trap in combat should suffer penalties, but within the confines of what I can do with the engine I felt this was the best compromise.

The matter is subjective of course--there's no good reason a mage should miscast a contingency while he's sitting in an inn and a thief trying to disarm a trap in combat should suffer penalties, but within the confines of what I can do with the engine I felt this was the best compromise.

OK, I can see your point. We should just assume that the thief removes his shield while searching without actually doing so. I can live with that.

This does have a curious logic to it. Notice that all mages (single-classed or multis) are allowed to "drop" their weapons to spellcast and then pick them up again, but not attack with them, all within the same round. Limitation of the engine, yes, but it works somehow.

Yeah, but how about Hide in Shadows / Move silently?

I'd have quite some problems being silent while wielding a shield :)

And usually you hide while in combat (EG you are going to backstab, or are hurt and want to drink some potions in relative peace)

Yeah, but how about Hide in Shadows / Move silently?

I'd have quite some problems being silent while wielding a shield  :)

And usually you hide while in combat (EG you are going to backstab, or are hurt and want to drink some potions in relative peace)

/me points to "subjective" and "handwaving"

Being able to hide in shadows in view of an enemy already requires ridiculously high HiS scores and, given the mass quantities of invisibility potions available, knocking off another 10% for a shield isn't going to make much of a difference.

/me points to "subjective" and "handwaving"

Well, I'm also expressing my subjective opinion, I guess. :)

Being able to hide in shadows in view of an enemy already requires ridiculously high HiS scores and, given the mass quantities of invisibility potions available, knocking off another 10% for a shield isn't going to make much of a difference.

You can HiS while away from the enemies, then get near and backstab, and you'll have to roll a HiS (or was it MS?) to remain invisible, after all...

And, to a degenerate backstabber like me, there aren't just enough Potions of Invisibility to use them extensively. Plus HiS is somewhat more resistant to divinations when wearing the Clck of Displacement anyway :)

And, to a degenerate backstabber like me, there aren't just enough Potions of Invisibility to use them extensively. Plus HiS is somewhat more resistant to divinations when wearing the Clck of Displacement anyway  :)

Do you mean Cloak of Non-Detection?

If you need a mad supply of Potions of Invis, you can get them ! legitimately ! by installing Gebhard Blucher's Random City Encounters section from Tactics mod. You'll have to fight for them, but at least you get some good loot to sell, decent experience, and more healing potions than you can ever drink.

Archived