Can someone explain this to me?

He didn't die since the fiend was killed before Anomen was turned into a Ghast (takes five rounds IIRC). So it isn't quite as scary as a Beholder's Death Ray. But it's annoying when I can't figure out why things happen that shouldn't happen (like how missile weapons seem to fire instantly, despite having a high attack speed).

Incidentally I bet some would argue that Anomen turning into a Ghast would be an improvement...

If it's any way similar to Aec'Letec's death gaze, the fiend's death doesn't matter. Death via polymorph is added as a delayed effect--after five rounds, you die, unless it gets removed (dispelled) during those five rounds.

Missile attacks--it appears the engine overrides the weapon speed with the weapon speed set in the ammo.

aTweaks works differently. Killing the Nabassu does indeed prevent ghastification.

But I can't explain this. The spell looks right and in testing a successful save vs. spell prevents all ill effects and a failed save results in strings being displayed (among other things). Incidentally, Death Ward is no protection against Death Gaze.

Missile attacks--it appears the engine overrides the weapon speed with the weapon speed set in the ammo.

Thank you, then I learnt something new today.

Thank you, so did i. :) When you mentioned that, it reminded me of the old bug where ammunition proficiency would override the launcher and so I went testing. I've filed a bug report for EE, but I don't think it can be fixed for vanilla.

Thank you, so did i. :) When you mentioned that, it reminded me of the old bug where ammunition proficiency would override the launcher and so I went testing. I've filed a bug report for EE, but I don't think it can be fixed for vanilla.

For vanilla(or both), couldn't you just add an equipped Increase Attack Speed Factor(190) effect to launchers, a negative amount matching their proper speed factor, while leaving all ammo at 0.

Ammo-less Launcher's would need their own Speed set to 0, so they don't double up when used without ammo.

That could work, but not without complications. As we learned with the monk and kensai weapon speed bonuses, the opcode doesn't stack very well--it could come down to last effect loaded, applies.

Given the number of spells that actually adjust weapon speed is pretty minimal, it would probably be a good tradeoff but we'd need testing.

No, it doesn't stack, most recent overrides old, and equipped is always suppressed by spells.

But, the monk and kensai are the only vanilla sources of the effect.

It was given directly to a few bosses, only to arbitrary increase their difficultly, so that shouldn't be an issue, even if they did use a launcher.

SoD adds an Ioun Stone with it, but that's it.

Kensai cannot use launchers anyway, so no issue with them.

Monks are restricted to slings, but I find it curious that monks have this bonus anyway - I could find no basis for it in either 2e or 3e, and it only affects their weapons, as all fists already have speed 0.

Now, I'm sure several mods would have conflict with it.

For EE, if the Launcher and ammo cannot be fixed internally to use a cumulative speed, maybe the opcode could be changed so that it has cumulative/set/setifbetter options as opcode 189 does.