Shade Lord help (SCS/Hard)

Well, I would not recommend (personal opinion of course) to play SCS the first times you play BG1 or BG2 (same for EET of course...).

If you have already made a few full runs, then, you know where to go to level up before starting the hard parts : with SCS, the hard parts of the games are the same, they are just harder :) and few become insane (Smarter beholders if you ask me)...

As an example, I (personally) go see Firefrag late in the game (near the end of chapter 3).

Sorry I didn't see your post, I think we posted at the same time?

I'll try to delve deeper.

First of all, I think you should install Spell Revisions (and optional: Item Revisions). It will give you more options, and the new spells are nice. I think the fights will be more balanced that way. It would require a re-install though so yeah... think about it :p

Second, have you tried using summons? Enemy spellcasters in SCS will still target you, but with summons they will have to deal with them too so they will waste spells on them. I find that summons work quite well overall.

Third, yes Spell Shield basically protects you from Breach, so it's very important to look for this spell. If it's on, use Secret Word or Spell Thrust, don't remember which. Spell Revisions changes some of those spells so I might be confused as to which does what.

Fourth, spellcasters in SCS will prioritize dispelling your buffs, so try to have some up and they will waste time dispelling them. During that time, you might be able how to figure out how to dispel theirs, and then attack them. The flail of ages does multiple elements damage, try it as much as you can as it may disrupt their casting if even a single damage from ice/cold/lightning goes through

Fifth, try using scrolls. Protection from Undead, Protection from Magic... They're meant to be used!

Thanks again for the tips. I do use those scrolls, potions and buffs, but I admit that I did forget in this case to use stuff like Protection From Undead, since that would help against a lich obviously. I usually go into these battles fully buffed when they require multiple re-loads.

Edit - Protection From Magic, d'oh. I forget this stuff, there's so much in the game! lol

I did manage to disrupt their casting once in a blue moon, even slowed Lavok the first time I fought him. Guess I just gotta keep holding out until his protections start to waver, and hopefully get a little lucky in the meantime (I could also use more evasive tactics, which I have been doing, although it seems a finer line between evasion and exploiting the game.)

I don't think Spell Thrust dispels Spell Shield but I'll definitely look. Haven't even found Secret Word yet (it seems a lot of my problem is not knowing the "correct path" to tackle the content. I end up in higher level areas than I should be, it seems. But I'm just playing the game naturally, it's only my second run through BG2.)

I used BWS "Recommended" but also enabled all of the SCS extra options.

Just for comparison, these are the

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy Harm spells reduce target to 1 hit point; player Harm spells do 150 hp of damage: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Add an extra copy of some hard-to-find spell scrolls: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // True Sight/True Seeing spells protect from magical blindness: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4051 // Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4150 // Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4160 // Increase the price of a license to practise magic in Athkatla -> License costs 10,000 gp: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4172 // Increase the price asked by Gaelan Bayle -> Gaelan wants 80,000 gold pieces: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4180 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4210 // Randomise the maze in Watcher's Keep: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4215 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4230 // Delay the arrival of the "bonus merchants" in the Adventurers' Mart and the Copper Coronet: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4240 // Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells (each may be taken only once): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Cloak of Displacement: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5050 // Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6023 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to spellcasters -> All eligible spellcasters in Throne of Bhaal get HLAs; only selected casters in Shadows of Amn do: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6032 // Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6102 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6521 // Smarter genies -> Genies have normal hit points: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6531 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials have normal hit points: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6541 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have normal hit points: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6570 // Smarter githyanki: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6590 // Smarter Throne of Bhaal final villain: v30 BWP fix + K4thos' EET compatibility

Just to clarify, since you always mention EET - EET only is the platform to make all the parts into one game. It does not change challenge level by itself.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that. Good to know.

Well, I would not recommend (personal opinion of course) to play SCS the first times you play BG1 or BG2 (same for EET of course...).

If you have already made a few full runs, then, you know where to go to level up before starting the hard parts : with SCS, the hard parts of the games are the same, they are just harder :) and few become insane (Smarter beholders if you ask me)...

As an example, I (personally) go see Firefrag late in the game (near the end of chapter 3).

Yeah, it's only my 2nd run through BG2 ever (never finished it the first time, but I did finish BG:EE once before) but I did play 50+ hours of BG2 before being distracted and dropping it for awhile. I think my main problem is not knowing the "correct path" through the content, which leaves me seemingly taking on quests and challenges that are just too high level for me. Will have to consider that more. Unfortunately it looks like the poor child kidnapped by vampires will be eaten because of it. :(

Edited by fluent

There is no correct path in BG2 other than the main plot. Everything else serves to get you the money, experience and equipment to move on. You can do as much or as little of it as you like.

I would order the main side quests by difficulty, knowing there may be a lot of different view on that.

Here is mine, just as a starter for discussion

1. Slavers in the Slums

2. Trademeet + Druids (including Djinns)

3. D'Arnise Hold

4. Unseeing Eye

5. Umar Hills - Shade Lord + Dragon

6. Firkraag

7. Kangaxx (including the two Liches to get his parts)

The 6 and 7 may change positions depending on the mods you installed.

Edited by Roxanne

So I guess I just don't have the proper XP levels then. Maybe I'll turn it back to 50% XP gain and get all that retroactive XP to possibly level up once or so, rather than keeping it at 40% XP. Because I don't have level 6+ spells like Pierce Magic, etc. to deal with these mages. I'm picking up level 7 scrolls from loot but my highest caster can only cast level 5 I think (Nalia might have been able to do 6, or maybe Aerie, not sure. But I think we're still at level 5 spells.)

Edited by fluent

Not sure what happened then. I did set the following caps while playing through EET.

BG:EE - 89,000

SoD - 250,000

BG2 - no cap.

I'm wondering if that was a bad move or not recommended or something? It was an option in EET Tweaks so I figured it was alright. What level should the start of BG2 be? My party is level 9 I think, but again, we have no level 6 or higher spells.

Ah well. I guess I'll give it another shot soon. Haven't played in a couple days.

Not sure what happened then. I did set the following caps while playing through EET.

SoD - 250,000

BG2 - no cap.

I'm wondering if that was a bad move or not recommended or something? It was an option in EET Tweaks so I figured it was alright. What level should the start of BG2 be? My party is level 9 I think, but again, we have no level 6 or higher spells.

Ah well. I guess I'll give it another shot soon. Haven't played in a couple days.

I played with no XP cap at all,

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2002 // Total XP CAP -> Disabled: 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // XP for Traps, Spells and Lockpicking -> BG1 values (default): 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2052 // XP for killing creatures -> Decrease to 50%: 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2062 // XP for quests -> Decrease to 50%: 1.7

I did all the big mods in BG1 part (including Sandrah) and the side quests in SoD.

My single class fighter (swashbuckler) was level 11 at BG2 start and the continuous NPCs I re-recruited were between level 9-11 depending on their classes and when/how they joined in earlier days. Some of them have meanwhile gained a level during initial SoA quests. I did the slavers including those in the temple district. Did Unseeing Eye and Umar. Also the Mae'Var quest and now owning the thieves guild (thanks to Amber, my thief) and the cleric stronghold (thanks to Chloe, not a cleric but devotee of Lathander).

Based on this, the game's quests and challenges are still pretty hard but I am not as desperate as you are,

PS - I also defeated the first of the Liches with Kangaxx parts and the Lich in the Crocked Crane, so I have daystar now. And I did one of the TDDz quests to test how it fits into the game now - it was rather easy. Also some Region of Terror episodes (without Drizzt, which I can do as I have Sandrah in party) - those were not too hard.

Edited by Roxanne

SoD - 250,000

BG2 - no cap.

I played with no XP cap at all,

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2002 // Total XP CAP -> Disabled: 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // XP for Traps, Spells and Lockpicking -> BG1 values (default): 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2052 // XP for killing creatures -> Decrease to 50%: 1.7

~EET_TWEAKS/EET_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2062 // XP for quests -> Decrease to 50%: 1.7

I did all the big mods in BG1 part (including Sandrah) and the side quests in SoD.

My single class fighter (swashbuckler) was level 11 at BG2 start and the continuous NPCs I re-recruited were between level 9-11 depending on their classes and when/how they joined in earlier days. Some of them have meanwhile gained a level during initial SoA quests. I did the slavers including those in the temple district. Did Unseeing Eye and Umar. Also the Mae'Var quest and now owning the thieves guild (thanks to Amber, my thief) and the cleric stronghold (thanks to Chloe, not a cleric but devotee of Lathander).

Based on this, the game's quests and challenges are still pretty hard but I am not as desperate as you are,

PS - I also defeated the first of the Liches with Kangaxx parts and the Lich in the Crocked Crane, so I have daystar now. And I did one of the TDDz quests to test how it fits into the game now - it was rather easy. Also some Region of Terror episodes (without Drizzt, which I can do as I have Sandrah in party) - those were not too hard.

I found that lich in the secret door in the City Gates area inn, but that thing was impossible (even using the SoD "keeper of secrets" or whatever that item is that is supposed to weaken liches.) I imagine liches are just super high level and powerful so I'll come back later. Cool to find that there, though. Does that item still work in BG2 by the way?

I also switched my settings to yours exactly, with the 50% XP stuff. I did set the trap/lockpicking XP to vanilla friendly progressive for some reason, dunno why. Might switch it back. But otherwise I'm using what you posted.

Will post back later after I try Lavok a few more times. Still might have to cheat to get out of this area. But once out I can reevaluate some things after hopefully leveling up.

That Lich thing from SoD is a great disappointment. It only works for that quest, There needs to be a mod that makes it a universal thing against Liches. I carried it around and it does nothing outside the cave it was made for.

Actually I forgot to look into the case. Maybe I will do one of these days.

Ah, thank you for that information. Would be awesome to have it be an actual useful item in BG2.

Okay, so I just double checked, and my party is mostly level 9, even some 8. Our highest casting level is 5. We're stuck in the Planar Sphere and I'm not sure what to do. I've raised the XP gain back to 50% but now I'm wondering if I need to set it higher to "catch up" to where I should be. I ended up missing out on Ulgoth's Beard thinking I would come back later in BG2, so might have missed some XP there, but I did Durlag's Tower. Will thoroughly examine the rest of Athkatla and do all the quests, etc., there, but will there be enough XP to get me to where I need to be? My main char is a level 9/10 Mage/Thief. A few characters are level 8 and the rest are 9.

Any advice here?

Ah, thank you for that information. Would be awesome to have it be an actual useful item in BG2.

Okay, so I just double checked, and my party is mostly level 9, even some 8. Our highest casting level is 5. We're stuck in the Planar Sphere and I'm not sure what to do. I've raised the XP gain back to 50% but now I'm wondering if I need to set it higher to "catch up" to where I should be. I ended up missing out on Ulgoth's Beard thinking I would come back later in BG2, so might have missed some XP there, but I did Durlag's Tower. Will thoroughly examine the rest of Athkatla and do all the quests, etc., there, but will there be enough XP to get me to where I need to be? My main char is a level 9/10 Mage/Thief. A few characters are level 8 and the rest are 9.

Any advice here?

You should be able to revisit BG1 areas by now to do things you missed, if any.

So the massive time traveling (would take 5 days to travel to Ulgoth's Beard, etc.) would be alright to do then? No real time limit or anything in BG2?

And for future XP, you think setting it to 50% would be good from here on out then? I don't want to get to a point where the game is impossible to progress, and it's my first time through the game with EET so I'm not sure if that would/could happen.

Edited by fluent