Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm not Roxanne but I talking with her by email, she helps me a lot to debug (got some problem with her Sword of Chaos Mod and with Reign Of Terror Mod in early bg2)

 

I don't think its a bad idea in this EET tool to includes Release Candidate... it enlarges the "testing" team therefore modders can have maximum chance of having feedback as long as she takes care of it.

And really every time I write an email to her I got an answer maximum 1h later.

 

Since I have a developer background she even explain me what to modifiy with NearInfinity to workaround my RoT bugs.

 

To sum up I'm really ok with including RC into the tool so it helps the community in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post

I will probably have to stop using the formal "pre-release" system for SCS RCs then, if that's the only way to stop auto-systems from picking them up.

Share this post


Link to post

"I'm Not Roxanne" haha

 

Hey DavidW. I wouldn't worry about that. If you asked her she would stop, I'm not sure how much she comes her at all (though I know she does occasionally). However, each time someone has asked on her forum to have it removed she has done so. If you're worried about it, ask. She has been accommodating with requests.

 

She may just see this as the "best" version. Even if it's not quite there yet.

Share this post


Link to post

She would be very unwise to do so. Every version of SCS v32 I've released so far has had a critical bug in at least one component.

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps.

 

Anyway, my advice stands. However, I do enjoy it as is. But that's me, I don't mind posting all that stuff because I know who to talk to and where to post, so I can see why others would feel uneasy.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey guys,

 

I've been following all the crap about Roxanne alts. (both here and on beamdog website)

 

I've been thanking k4thos for all the work in EET.

 

And even started my career in Software Development thanks to tutorial on pocketplanegroup back in 2006.

 

So please, if you want to think I'm Roxanne please do but at least don't get me banned.

(Maybe you can check IP, I'm half on French or Luxembourg IP)

 

I read almost everyday g3 forums (especially waiting for IWD-in-EET).

 

I just gave my own personal opinion on the including RC in the tool that's it.

 

BTW, do you have any idea who I should contact about Reign of Terror Mod ?

Roxanne's help is not sufficient, I got freezes on almost every dialogue and cutscene from Reign of Terror. (I installed it in German)

Edited by Madieron

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, please - everybody please do not speculate. So far, there is no Roxanne alt on G3 we know of.

BTW, do you have any idea who I should contact about Reign of Terror Mod ?

Roxanne's help is not sufficient, I got freezes on almost every dialogue and cutscene from Reign of Terror. (I installed it in German)

If you mean weigo's version from here then weigo's your man!

(EDIT: this is also why communicating with the mod author/maintainer from the start is a good idea, because he can actually fix the bugs in the mod package!)

Edited by jastey

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Jastey for the direction

 

I go talk to weigo about what I experienced.

 

Tried to uninstall RoT then reinstall it... maybe not a great idea :S

 

My baldur.exe seems broken

Edited by Madieron

Share this post


Link to post

Roxanne not only lets the EE Setup Tool pull beta versions and unconfirmed EET versions of mods. The tool also pulls mod versions Roxanne put on Dropbox although the mods are up-to-date with EET compatibility and on GitHub, for example Ascalon's Questpack which the tool appearently downloads from this dropbox link.

Dropbox download was never authorized and it is pointless to have it (to say the least) since it pretends to include the current 2.04 of the mod. Why such an additional download would be necessary is not clear to me. Therefore, I can only assume that Roxanne did changes to the mod she doesn't want to be noticed easily. The reason why I am assuming this is that she did changes to other mods in her EET-versions, as well, and also does not stop at including tweaks into what she calls a "fixpack".

I can only warn: If using the EE Setup Tool be aware that it pulls mod versions where Roxanne made unauthorized changes to, and that when using this tool, you might not get the original mod author's visions but more of a "Roxanne's EET world and how she would like the game to be".

And I will now continue to support a player who encountered a bug in an inofficial mod version of one of my maintained mods I didn't even know existed. "Thank you", Roxanne.

(Yeah, the bug is probably mine, but that's not the point.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:56 AM, jastey said:

Roxanne not only lets the EE Setup Tool pull beta versions and unconfirmed EET versions of mods. The tool also pulls mod versions Roxanne put on Dropbox although the mods are up-to-date with EET compatibility and on GitHub, for example Ascalon's Questpack which the tool appearently downloads from this dropbox link.

Dropbox download was never authorized and it is pointless to have it (to say the least) since it pretends to include the current 2.04 of the mod. Why such an additional download would be necessary is not clear to me. Therefore, I can only assume that Roxanne did changes to the mod she doesn't want to be noticed easily. The reason why I am assuming this is that she did changes to other mods in her EET-versions, as well, and also does not stop at including tweaks into what she calls a "fixpack".

I can only warn: If using the EE Setup Tool be aware that it pulls mod versions where Roxanne made unauthorized changes to, and that when using this tool, you might not get the original mod author's visions but more of a "Roxanne's EET world and how she would like the game to be".

And I will now continue to support a player who encountered a bug in an inofficial mod version of one of my maintained mods I didn't even know existed. "Thank you", Roxanne.

(Yeah, the bug is probably mine, but that's not the point.)

 

That's troubling. 

Additionally, I just saw that the Amber NPC mod was updated to v5 on G3 about a day ago, adding native EET support and other bugfixes. On Roxanne's site, she has a version of Amber she updated to include her own crafted ToB content for Amber (which, honestly, I appreciated). Now, however, there are two different "current" versions of Amber in the wild.  Messy, messy.

I've been debating whether to stick with EET Setup Tool (which, to its credit, has worked smoothly and effectively so far) or to go back to BWS. I think your information, plus this Amber conflict tells me what I need to know to decide.  It is interesting how much of the modding community is dependent on trust.

Edited by Lightbringer

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lightbringer said:

Additionally, I just saw that the Amber NPC mod was updated to v5 on G3 about a day ago, adding native EET support and other bugfixes. On Roxanne's site, she has a version of Amber she updated to include her own crafted ToB content for Amber (which, honestly, I appreciated). Now, however, there are two different "current" versions of Amber in the wild.  Messy, messy.

This is why we don’t like the way Roxanne does things.

Share this post


Link to post

Uuh, this is a completely a "new thing to a BW product"... that also had a version of the Tortured Souls mod called TS_BP v6.10... it having been converted, and so be the only version that worked with the rest of the BP mods(SoS, BGT-weidu_past v1.02, TDD etc) by an outsider, and apparently not so well either.

Yey. And that had nothing to do with Roxanne. Besides, the EE support could very well be taken from the Roxanne's original notes/code.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Besides, the EE support could very well be taken from the Roxanne's original notes/code.

True enough.

7 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Uuh, this is a completely a "new thing to a BW product"... that also had a version of the Tortured Souls mod called TS_BP v6.10... it having been converted, and so be the only version that worked with the rest of the BP mods(SoS, BGT-weidu_past v1.02, TDD etc) by an outsider, and apparently not so well either.

Apologies, I have no idea what this means. :( 

Share this post


Link to post

Huh. I always got the impression from some of jastey's posts that there was just some beef, or a personality conflict between just them and Roxanne. I didn't know that there was a wider issue with BWS and EET-Setup being handled so differently. This is very confusing for someone like me. I've been waiting for IWD-in-EET to launch and then progress to a stable release before attempting another mega-install/playthrough. I wonder what the landscape will be like by that time. I hope there will still be a stable way for us dummies to handle our mega-mod installations =(

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...