Sign in to follow this  
Arthas

Protection from Petrification spell

There are none - replaced with Expeditious Retreat. Your only anti-pertification defences in SR are green scroll and potions of mirrored eyes.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider

Thanks. How was this thought to be a good idea?

The modmaker doesn't play the BG1 portion of the game... meaning he never ran into basilisks in low levels.

don't lich cast petrification on you? What the fuck

And ? There's not one lich in BG1. Nor are there beholders which are far more worse in this aspect than say, a Lich. Cause there's usually more than one.

this makes fighting basilisks actually challenging and not a free xp waterfall.

At level 20 ? Right.

don't lich cast petrification on you? What the fuck

green scroll and potions of mirrored eyes.

Also anything that boosts your saving throws (potion of invulnerability, potion of magic... blocking? resisting? something like that... etc.)

At level 20 ? Right.

Actually...that's why I asked for ideas on Monster Summoning 9 a while back - because without a Protection from Petrification spell, I kept getting crushed by liches and other high level mages that would just pre-cast MS9 and more or less instantly petrify my entire party with little to no way to defend against it. The last straw was when that one caster, another red wizard I think, that's chasing after Edwin ambushed me as I walked out the Druid Grove with an MS9 pre-cast and I realized you could literally be stuck in a situation where you just don't have anything to defend against it. So it was either bringing back Protection from Petrification or getting rid of the basilisks...and so the basilisks went. It was easy once I realized that, from the player's point of view, basilisks were either going to be useless (if enemies are immune to petrification) or completely overpowered (if they're not) in pretty much every fight.

Edited by Bartimaeus

At level 20 ? Right.

Actually...that's why I asked for ideas on Monster Summoning 9 a while back - because without a Protection from Petrification spell, I kept getting crushed by liches and other high level mages that would just pre-cast MS9 and more or less instantly petrify my entire party with little to no way to defend against it. The last straw was when that one caster, another red wizard I think, that's chasing after Edwin ambushed me as I walked out the Druid Grove with an MS9 pre-cast and I realized you could literally be stuck in a situation where you just don't have anything to defend against it. So it was either bringing back Protection from Petrification or getting rid of the basilisks...and so the basilisks went. It was easy once I realized that, from the player's point of view, basilisks were either going to be useless (if enemies are immune to petrification) or completely overpowered (if they're not) in pretty much every fight.

did you release an addon also for SR? Please tell me "YES"

Have I made an SRR? Yes. Have I released it? No, I haven't. I've always waffled on whether I should or shouldn't - on one hand, it's a bit of a headache for everyone for reasons subtledoctor has pointed out with IRR - but on the other hand, I've fixed a metric ton of bugs and oversights that have gone uncorrected for years that I'm sure some people would like to have. You can PM me if you want to try it out, though - however, like for IRR, I'm currently finalizing a new version that may be another few days.

Edited by Bartimaeus

1) If you release it for good and to public I would (and I bet others would too) appreciate it.

2) If you are not going to release it, I can just wait for your pm :p

By the way, if you release it to public, it would be way better. People have a chance to choose, no reason to not release it.

This is not true for various points of view:

1) Basilisk pose a weird challenge to the player, because he doesn't know and doesn't get alerted about the challenge he is going to face. How would you know that in that area you are going to face basilisks? You do not, unless you already played.

It is the same silly stuff for Shoal the nereid - if you go with your own character, you die even if you refuse to kiss her because she will forcefully kiss you.

So you have to metagame or get fucked, but while Shoal is a one time thing, the Basilisk are a one-area thing (and luckily, I must add)

2) Not to add that there are times where, instead of getting ambushed by the usual 12-18 bandits with bows, you are ambushed by a great basilisk (I lost around 1-3 characters for no-reload run) because the reality is that to counter your own character you are supposed to be invisibile all the time or suffer the consequences of getting ambushed and the game loading while you are in front of the basilisk, like if your own character wanted to walk into it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this