Progress

K4thos

On 3/14/2019 at 7:11 AM, Ser Elryk said:

Hey, K4thos. Just out of curiosity, would it be alright to ask for a rough estimate about how far along IWD-in-EET is from being ready for a public release? 50%?

No rush or anything. Even if it took several more years I'd still be excited to play it 😃

years? No, I don't think so. I would label the current progress of IWD2 content as "pre-alpha":

- all dialogs and scripts converted and compiled without errors,

- spells finished,

- items on the way (still working on the code that automatically generates EE style item descriptions based on stats and actual opcodes used by the item),

- all other file formats conversions finished,

- AWizardDidIt’s writing implemented.

In other words both IWD:EE and IWD2 content is already up and running locally. It's not ready for tests yet since some stuff is still missing:

- above mentioned items code is still WIP,

- enemy AI to work correctly requires help of EEex - I will send to Bubb a list of stuff that I hope EEx will be able to solve,

- I think some people may be interested in IWD2 style custom progression system with feats and free multi-classing that this mod aims to offer - lua code for this stuff as well as lifting engine limitations to allow it is not there yet (IWD2 feats are done though)

No ETAs - it will be done when it's done and only when I feel that it’s in polished enough state to warrant external testing effort. I also don't want to put any pressure on Bubb, so nah, no ETAs.

The project is far enough in development though that I'm now comfortable with asking for help once again. New topic regarding these tasks (spell icons art for new spells from IWD2, missing Tracking lines for BG1, Contact Other Plane strings for BG1/2 and IWD2 content, as well as familiar strings for IWD2 content) will be posted soon.

Edited by K4thos
6 hours ago, K4thos said:

years? No, I don't think so. I would label the current progress as "pre-alpha":

- all dialogs and scripts converted and compiled without errors,

- spells finished,

- items on the way (still working on the code that automatically generates EE style item descriptions based on stats and actual opcodes used by the item),

- all other file formats conversions finished,

- AWizardDidIt’s writing implemented.

In other words both IWD:EE and IWD2 content is already up and running locally. It's not ready for tests yet since some stuff is still missing:

- above mentioned items code is still WIP,

- enemy AI to work correctly requires help of EEex - I will send to Bubb a list of stuff that I hope EEx will be able to solve,

- I think some people may be interested in IWD2 style custom progression system with feats and free multi-classing that this mod aims to offer - lua code for this stuff as well as lifting engine limitations to allow it is not there yet (IWD2 feats are done though)

No ETAs - it will be done when it's done and only when I feel that it’s in polished enough state to warrant external testing effort. I also don't want to put any pressure on Bubb, so nah, no ETAs.

The project is far enough in development though that I'm now comfortable with asking for help once again. New topic regarding these tasks (missing Tracking lines for BG1, Contact Other Plane strings for BG1/2 and IWD2 content, as well as familiar strings for IWD2 content) will be posted soon.

This sounds very promising! Thank you so much for sharing and all the hard work you and the rest of the Moders are doing. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, Arthas said:

Question: wouldn't copyright issues arise when converting this mod?

good question, considering IWD2 won't be needed on you computer to install IWD-in-EET (which has all the IWD:EE and IWD2 content).

Unlike IWD:EE portion of the mod, which is converted almost exactly the same as BG:EE is in EET (100% on the fly, using resources copied directly from the game installed on your computer), all IWD2 resources are included in the mod package. As long as there is no enhanced edition of IWD2, I don't think additional IWD2 directory check is necessary. Converting IWD2 on the fly would be a pain - currently it takes almost 2 hours locally and it's done with "spaghetti" code, so not something that I would feel comfortable sharing. Historically copyright holders didn't care about using resources from classic IE games in mods (even whole games - see NEJ mod).

Edited by K4thos
1 hour ago, StefanO said:

A user can simply buy "IWD2 Complete" for 8.99€ on GOG. That should solve his license problem. But perhaps the distributor -- @K4thos is this case -- still has a problem.

I'm aware that the game is available on GOG.

The mod is meant to be installable on Linux and Mac OS down the road (even though it currently doesn't work on those platforms since EEex is not available for these systems yet), so register checks for automatic game detection is not good enough and the game is not even available for linux. Additional prompt where you need to point to IWD2 location would make the installation annoying considering you already have to type IWD:EE directory. And all of this is useless either way considering all IWD2 resources will be included in the mod package (even area resources, which weight the most, can't be copied on the fly due to different file format - converting TIS to PVRZ would extend the installation time for an hour or more). Not really sure if mod distributed this way can be legally treated as transformative use of a work/fair use or whatever - we will see if it results in issuing a cease-and-desist letter (doubt it, considering NEJ mod offered similar approach for years).

To summarise: IWD2 check is currently not planned for this mod unless copyright holder will force such change, or enhanced edition of this game is released (I have no idea if it's planned). IWD:EE is required to be installed on computer and all its resourced are converted "on the fly". The mod currently works only on Windows but will support other operating systems once EEex is available there.

Edited by K4thos