SCS v31 Release Candidate (Now No. 3) Now Available for Testing

@Mad Mate

That's interesting. I've seen that name pop up in my installs before with having some common files between it and the other mods that are having issues.

Yes, you have that mod installed. It's a same error.

Maybe somebody with knowledge about qd_multiclass (@subtledoctor?) should report bug to Lava in SHS forums. I don't have a clue what is wrong with that file.

Don't know why it throws error in SCS,

My working theory, which has so far been born out by tests: the qd_multi function appends its required spells to every trueclass ability table regardless of which or how many multiclass kits you install. So CLABFI01.2da and CLABMA01.2da get patched even if you only install a cleric/thief kit.

But, because there are no fighter or mage multiclass kits in that scenario, those appended entries point to spells with headers/"abilities," but no extended headers/"effects." This causes the SCS AI component to freak out when it tries to parse what should and shouldn't be applied to enemy fighters and mages.

The quick-and-dirty solution I'm using is to add useless effects to the qd_multi spells. I think I added a zero-second, zero-point Lore bonus. Any modder who wants to do this and make their multiclass kits compatible with SCS can grab the library from my Might & Guile mod and drop it into their own mod. Should be as simple as copying & pasting the folder.

Long-term, the better solution is for SCS to simply skip those spells outright. I've described in other threads barious ways that can be accomplished and it sounds like DavidW is working on it for v32.

Edited by subtledoctor

Perhaps I should make a new topic, but is foundling also affecting Shadow Magic and the feat system of Might and Guile? Or is it only affecting SCS?

Might and Guile
Failed again for the same component.
ERROR: cannot convert al_code or %al_code% to an integer
ERROR: [might_and_guile/feats/d5_rfc1.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Shadow Magic
Failed again with the same issues.

ERROR: cannot convert kit_code or %kit_code% to an integer
ERROR: [override/QD_MCM01.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: [C0SADEPT.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: Not_found
Shadow Magic (Shadow Magic (NEW)) was not installed due to errors.

@anprionsa those are unrelated to SCS. Off the top of my head it seems to be something about how those mods (fail to) parse kitlist.2da. Probably because some other mod before them has added an entry with too many columns, or something like that.

Best to post something on their respective forums rather than here.

Edited by subtledoctor

I'm installing this right now. With the updates for Shadow Magic, Foundling, and Might & Guile; I'm still seeing SCS having errors with QD_ (the same issues you can see in the log I've posted earlier). I haven't yet come to Shadow Magic, Might & Guile. Foundling has been installed. I can confirm that I have the updates to all the mods. I wanted to get this posted even while it's still being installed.

I'm... seeing SCS having errors with... I haven't yet come to Shadow Magic, Might & Guile. Foundling has been installed.

SCS is not supposed to be installed before Shadow Magic or MnG...?

I'm still seeing SCS having errors with QD_ (the same issues you can see in the log I've posted earlier).

As I said, it's a problem with the qd_multi function. Open the Might & Guile mod folder, and copy "qd_multiclass.tpa" and the "qd_mc" folder from "Might_and_Guile/lib/." Then paste them into the "/lib/" folder in the Foundling mod. Then install Foundling, and then install SCS. The problems should go away.

Also had these warnings with Ascension (which I've seen before mentioned by others). I'm not sure if they are directly related to SCS.

Line 200682: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPHEALER_O1.baf]
Line 200684: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPARCHER_O15.baf]
Line 200688: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPTHIEF_O9.baf]
Line 200690: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPMERC_O12.baf]
Line 200736: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPKENSAI/GPKENSAI_O16.baf]
Line 200738: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPMAGE2/strip1.baf]
Line 200822: INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Tougher Gromnir
Line 200826: INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Tougher Yaga-Shura
Line 200841: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPHEALER_O1.baf]
Line 200842: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPARCHER_O15.baf]
Line 200843: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPTHIEF_O9.baf]
Line 200844: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPMERC_O12.baf]
Line 200845: Improved Illasera (optional, requires ToB) (Ascension) was installed with warnings.
Line 200848: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPKENSAI/GPKENSAI_O16.baf]
Line 200849: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPMAGE2/strip1.baf]
Line 200850: Restored Bhaalspawn Powers by David Gaider (Ascension) was installed with warnings.

SCS attempts to be as compatibility-friendly as possible. It should be compatible with most quest, item, NPC and tweak mods (I don't know of any significant incompatibilities with currently-used mods other than those listed below).

In general, when installing multiple mods, it matters which order you install them in. A rough guide is:

• The Ascension mod
  • The BG2 Fixpack
  • Mods which change the spell or item systems
  • Mods which add new quests and similar game content
  • Mods which add new joinable characters
  • Mods which tweak aspects of gameplay
Within each category, as a rule of thumb you should install older mods first. SCS is a tweak mod, so it should be installed towards the end of your installation. Ideally, SCS prefers to be installed last, but several other recent mods (aTweaks, BiggTweaks, BG2 Tweakpack) also say "install last" in their readmes. You can generally install any of these listed mods after SCS fairly safely. (In particular, aTweaks is designed with SCS specifically in mind, and should definitely be installed after SCS). Other mods, and in particular any mods that add new items, really need to be installed before SCS.

Please stop trying to install stuff not named "Tweaks Anthology" after SCS.

Edited by CamDawg

Why do you too, regard as a point of intress to dictate what to install in what order ? Especially with the help of old readme from years ago. The point here is, that for different purposes, one can install mods that conflict in large parts.

For example, make a re-nerfed spell casting tables to be installed before SCS, so that will take it as the base, and then install unnerfed tables on top of that(with SCS already installed). The purpose being that the wizards are only countered once in game time, while the player needs to utilize the same rules the whole game. And not being SOL.

The question there is what I like you to answer. The why-how you did that. You are correct in that the ancient Ascension is generally meant to be installed before SCS. But ... the case was not that here, rather an Ascension with BG2EE.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Also had these warnings with Ascension (which I've seen before mentioned by others). I'm not sure if they are directly related to SCS.

Line 200682: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPHEALER_O1.baf]

Line 200684: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPARCHER_O15.baf]

Line 200688: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPTHIEF_O9.baf]

Line 200690: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPMERC_O12.baf]

Line 200736: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPKENSAI/GPKENSAI_O16.baf]

Line 200738: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPMAGE2/strip1.baf]

Line 200822: INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Tougher Gromnir

Line 200826: INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Tougher Yaga-Shura

Line 200841: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPHEALER_O1.baf]

Line 200842: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPARCHER_O15.baf]

Line 200843: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPTHIEF_O9.baf]

Line 200844: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/toughercommon/baf/GPMERC_O12.baf]

Line 200845: Improved Illasera (optional, requires ToB) (Ascension) was installed with warnings.

Line 200848: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPKENSAI/GPKENSAI_O16.baf]

Line 200849: WARNING: cannot find block matching [ascension/tougher/yagashura/baf/GPMAGE2/strip1.baf]

Line 200850: Restored Bhaalspawn Powers by David Gaider (Ascension) was installed with warnings.

Those are Ascension know issues with BG2EE 2.5, please post errors from mods to proper topics

Why do you too, regard as a point of intress to dictate what to install in what order ? Especially with the help of old readme from years ago. The point here is, that for different purposes, one can install mods that conflict in large parts.

For example, make a re-nerfed spell casting tables to be installed before SCS, so that will take it as the base, and then install unnerfed tables on top of that(with SCS already installed). The purpose being that the wizards are only countered once in game time, while the player needs to utilize the same rules the whole game. And not being SOL.

The question there is what I like you to answer. The why-how you did that. You are correct in that the ancient Ascension is generally meant to be installed before SCS. But ... the case was not that here, rather an Ascension with BG2EE.

Authors suggest installation orders that minimize conflict. Installing a number of item packs after item tweaks will result in items not behaving as the player intended; installing item packs followed by item tweaks will work substantially better. The reasons for these guidelines are pragmatic, and to suggest that installation order is not relevant is exceptionally poor advice.

The current iteration of Ascension still needs to be installed before SCS.

Why do you too, regard as a point of intress to dictate what to install in what order ?

You are welcome to install mods and components in whatever order you like. You are, equally, welcome to edit the TP2 at random before installing, to remove and change mod files manually, and to insert your own random strings of binary into WEIDU. It's a free country.

But if you do any of these things, don't expect either help or sympathy when you report that your install isn't working.

Especially with the help of old readme from years ago. […] You are correct in that the ancient Ascension is generally meant to be installed before SCS. But ... the case was not that here, rather an Ascension with BG2EE.

That readme is still 100% accurate as to install order. Of course you won't be installing the Fixpack on an EE install, and you can *get away* with treating Ascension as just one more of the "mods which add new quests and similar game content" now that its code has been updated, but the conceptual reasons for installing all such mods very early in the install order still apply - and Ascension in particular is sufficiently foundational that it never hurts to put it early, and even though its code is updated it conceptually doesn't need to install differently according to what your game baseline is.

In particular, SCS specifically mods *Ascension* (i.e., six of its components only apply to Ascension, and won't even be offered as options if Ascension is installed) and so obviously needs to go later in the order.

I think he did install Ascension first, he was just reporting issues unrelated to SCS here, as AL|EN pointed out.

In point of fact there are plenty of little tweak mods that can/should be installed after SCS, but this is probably not the place for general install order discussion.

Regarding install order discussion that is specifically related to SCS, though, a question: I'd like to create a semblance of compatibility between my new druid shapeshifting and SCS "improved" shapeshifting. The general idea is, I can't script enemies to take advantage of my new shapeshifting; but enemies using SCS sympolic paws might actually look a lot like what my mod (FnP) allows players to do.

But SCS symbolic paws need to already be there for my mod to see. To that end, I kind of want to suggest that players install the SCS Improved Shapeshifting component, and only that component before FnP, and then wait and install the rest of SCS after FnP. The fly in the ointment is the "Initialize Mod" component. I don't know whether that specific component needs to be very late in the install order, So tl;dr: would it be safe to suggest that someone install mods in this order:

- spells/items/quests/npcs/etc.

- various kits

- SCS [initialize Mod]

- SCS [improved Shapeshifting]

- Faiths & Powers

- other kits, various tweaks

- SCS [everything else]

- post-SCS mods (yes that is a category)

?