Protection from Elemental Energy

VagPen

Running SR version 414, i noticed that my F/M/C in the Black Pits has a 4th level spell named 'Protection from Elemental Energy" wich protects against chosen element, while the classic Protection from lightning/acid/etc spells are now level 5 spells(same duration as the above 4th lvl spell). It seemed weird to me that a more useful and flexible spell is one level below individual elemental protections that need seperate spell slots.

Also, after exporting to BGEE, Neera's spellbook has Protection from Fire as a 3rd level spell instead of 5th. (Update NPC spellbooks component was instaled successfully). What gives? :p

Those 5th level spells are not supposed to be in arcane spellbooks or selectable at character creation, but hidespl (which determines what spells are hidden at character creation/level up) is very out of date (and actually currently not functioning on EE installs at all currently due to a format change in the latest versions of the EEs), though I have a more up to date version. For the latter issue, "Update NPC spellbooks" was only developed for and affects cleric casters. I developed an additional part of the component that does the same thing for arcane spellcasters, but it's not currently in SR. Hopefully soon.

Edited by Bartimaeus

hidespl (which determines what spells are hidden at character creation/level up) is... currently not functioning on EE installs at all currently due to a format change in the latest versions of the EEs

Sounds like this is the issue. I dodn't know about the format change, and it affects... a lot of my mods. Is it documented anywhere?

Edited by subtledoctor

No idea. I just decided to go and test it because of something another poster had mentioned, and compared SR's hidespl to the new hidespl that comes with the latest patch and discovered the new one had like an entirely new column. Updated it to follow the same format and added some new entries that were missing, reinstalled it, and it seemed like it was good to go. Maybe your hidespl is already up to date and SR's was just hilariously out of it? Just compare a clean hidespl to yours to find out, :p.

(e): I should say, I was looking at BG2:EE's hidespl. Technically speaking, I did not look at at BG1:EE's hidespl to compare. It's possible they are (now?) in a different format to each other (although I would hope not). I can't look right now since I don't have BG1:EE installed.

Edited by Bartimaeus

You'll also want to note that the file( hidespl.2da ) is not there in the original game(non-EE BG2), so the mod adds it via the ToBEx extension, which if you know, will bring it's own support trouble. You'll probably make due with a GAME_IS check...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola