Bartimaeus

SR Revised V1.1.0 (2019 February 5th)

Thanks, fixed.

@DrAzTiK Non-Detection descriptions:

Old: By casting this spell, the wizard makes the recipient undetectable by spells and abilities such as Oracle, True Seeing, and the Detect Illusion ability, though they may still be audible when moving and their presence may still be sensed. This spell wards the recipient's equipment as well as the creature itself.

New: By casting this spell, the wizard makes the recipient undetectable by spells such as Detect Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, and True Seeing, though they may still be audible when moving and certain types of creatures may still sense their presence through other means. Furthermore, anti-illusory spells and abilities such as Detect Illusion and Oracle will also have no effect upon the recipient. This spell does not protect the recipient from detection as a result of engaging in overtly hostile actions, though it will continue to protect other types of illusions they may have active from being directly dispelled. Note, however, that specific opponents affected with anti-invisibility spells such as True Seeing will be able to target the recipient with spellcasting through improved invisibility for as long as such anti-invisibility spells are active. This spell wards the recipient's equipment as well as the creature itself.

What a disaster of a description, but I'm not sure how else to coherently describe what this spell bloody well does.

Edited by Bartimaeus

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

the wizard makes the recipient

Can the spell even be casted on a target other than the wizard themselves ?

Remind me, the Nondetection actually protect RI/MI/Blur, or *only* invisibility?

Maybe something like:

"This spell protects the caster's [illusionary defenses and] invisibility from being dispelled by Invisibility Purge,  Detect Illusion, Oracle, etc.  The caster can be targeted by those under the effects of See Invisible and True Sight, but will remain protected against others.  Creatures with inherent invisibility detection by sound, scent, or other means may still be able to detect the caster."

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Can the spell even be casted on a target other than the wizard themselves ?

Yes, with SRR, It is possible to cast non detection on another target

great work Bartimaeus ;)

@Jarno Mikkola Without SRR, too - whether with just SR or even vanilla ToB, it's always been a "can target other creatures" sort of spell. Reason is pretty obvious once you remember that the original Non-Detection spell used to only protect non-magical stealth mode for thieves and rangers and stuff, not magical invisibility for mages.

@subtledoctor Yes, Non-Detection (the spell) gives blanket immunity to those sorts of spells (in contrast to Non-Detection the opcode, which is junk and does almost nothing except for the above-mentioned stealth protection). As for your description, I generally try to stick close to the original sort of verbiage the game uses so writing styles don't clash, and that's sort of the problem I'm running into here, and probably why it sometimes feels so difficult to describe what a spell does in a concise and detailed manner. It doesn't help that I'm trying to explain properties that simply don't exist in vanilla. ...Probably why this spell never got a real description in SR to begin with.

(e): You know...uh, it is called Non-Detection, not "Spell Immunity: Divinity". Maybe it really shouldn't give blanket protection to all these anti-illusory spells to begin with, but simply the "force visible" parts of them. For the time being, though, I guess it is what it is. It would almost be easier to just give a list of spells it protects against like Breach provides a list of spells it removes, but that's exactly what I have to keep reminding myself that I'm avoiding, because a part of those spells still functions (the anti-improved invisibility part) and therefore it's incorrect to say it straight up gives immunity against them. Ugh.

Edited by Bartimaeus

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

(e): You know...uh, it is called Non-Detection, not "Spell Immunity: Divinity". Maybe it really shouldn't give blanket protection to all these anti-illusory spells to begin with, but simply the "force visible" parts of them. For the time being, though, I guess it is what it is.

Better to simply rename the spell IMHO.  I think protecting illusionary protections like MI and Blur is a good idea, it really gives those spells some bite again. 

I generally don't like the idea of "Spell Immunity: Whatever" but maybe something like "Resist Divination" (matches "Resist Fire" etc.) or "Protection from Divination" (matches "Protection from Lightning/Magic Energy/Weapons" etc.)

EDIT - or "Resist Scrying"/"Protection from Scrying" maybe, for a bit more exotic flair (though technically less accurate).

Edited by subtledoctor

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

(e): You know...uh, it is called Non-Detection, not "Spell Immunity: Divinity". Maybe it really shouldn't give blanket protection to all these anti-illusory spells to begin with, but simply the "force visible" parts of them. For the time being, though, I guess it is what it is.

Well, as long as the True Sight can enable the wizard to see the hostile mage to target them with spells, it's fine I guess... as the True Sight is not targeted spell vs an area, but towards thyself and thus not being able to be immune vs it, it's fine.

Hmm, shouldn't "Spell Immunity: Divinity" also kinda kill the playerchar, if they finish the alternative ending of the Ascension mod ? Spell Immunity Illusion should dispel all the Illusion spells, as should the Spell Immunity: Abjuration cancel itself, with all the other spells of the same nature. And Spell Immunity: Divinity should remove True Sight, etc also from the mage/lich that's casting it... and the opcode #193 from the creatures. Aka, use opcode #101 to the #193 -effect.

Just saying...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.