SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

12 hours ago, NdranC said:

Are priest supposed to get Goodberry? I was playing with SR not too long ago and I don't remember Priests getting Goodberry as a spell choice (only druids). Is this something you changed for SRR?

No, they are not. Fixed and thank you! I tried to investigate how this might've happened, but the issue apparently predates github. Feel a little gross that I didn't notice it before! I've tweaked the scaling on this spell a bit over the years, I imagine it must've accidentally occurred at some point.

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

No, they are not. Fixed and thank you! I tried to investigate how this might've happened, but the issue apparently predates github. Feel a little gross that I didn't notice it before! I've tweaked the scaling on this spell a bit over the years, I imagine it must've accidentally occurred at some point.

We are all human after all, it happens all the time. I'm glad I could help.

I noticed an optional component in the settings.ini that talks about making AI mages not having access to Spell Immunity (even though I though it should be that way since SR changes/eliminates that spell). Is there a good reason why I should let mages cheat with spell I don't have access to? I normally like DnD because enemies and players are in the same playing field, if I see a mage casting a spell I like knowing that I could get that under the right conditions.

And now that I got you to talk about the settings.ini, what does this do exactly:

(enchanted_weapon                = 1 // set to 0 if you prefer EE's implementation of Enchanted Weapon (no new item, just sets current weapons to +3 enchantment level - EE only)

@NdranC It's my suggestion to remove Spell Immunity from enemy spellcasters via that settings.ini switch - I created that switch for that express purpose, :). The only reason it's not enabled by default is because those switches emulate the standard SR options (i.e. enemy spellcasters cast Spell Immunity in non-revised SR). Honestly, it seems like everyone's that seen it wants it enabled by default, so I might just do that.

Enchanted Weapon is a 4th level mage spell. With that option set to 1, it retains the non-EE style of Enchanted Weapon where it'll actually conjure a weapon up for you to use. However, setting it to 0 changes the spell to actually enchant your current weapon to +3. Personally, I think this makes the spell borderline trash and the standard SR behavior has always been the weapon conjuring until very, very recently, so that remains the default behavior. Also should be noted that this option only works on EEs - game will probably crash if you try to use it on a ToBEx game.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Ahh I see thanks for the explanation. I'm currently prepping for a big play through of EET (hopefully this time to the end, I always start but never finish) and I was wondering when do you think would be a good time to use the last update of both SR/IR and SRR/IRR. Basically since currently those are the only mods with recent updates (especially yours) are the any long standing issue or bad issues with SCS or something like that. Should I wait a little while longer before committing to a version number?

6 minutes ago, NdranC said:

Ahh I see thanks for the explanation. I'm currently prepping for a big play through of EET (hopefully this time to the end, I always start but never finish) and I was wondering when do you think would be a good time to use the last update of both SR/IR and SRR/IRR. Basically since currently those are the only mods with recent updates (especially yours) are the any long standing issue or bad issues with SCS or something like that. Should I wait a little while longer before committing to a version number?

It's my understanding the b17 was specifically for maximum compatibility with SCS, but I have no idea if SCS has been updated to actually take use of the new compatibility (or if it needs to). I haven't had a lot of time to play around with BG in a while now, so I'm sadly not 100% sure, :(. From what I've tested, it seems like everything works, but...

There is one "moderate" outstanding issue with SRR and BGT/EET that I have wanted to solve for a while but have been unable to: spell scroll placement. In particular, I need to identify a few places to place Friends, Protection from Petrification, and Detect Alignment. SR stole the scrolls of these spells for new spells to use, but as I have restored these spells and created new scrolls for them, I need placement locations for them. I have placed some scrolls of them in BG2 via Item Revisions, but I have nothing for BG1 - and BG1 is the one that benefits most from Friends and Protection from Petrification, so that's kind of an issue.

IRR should be pretty to go as-is right now, though specifically for EET I do want to fix some variants of its unenchanted shields not being properly handled.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's my understanding the b17 was specifically for maximum compatibility with SCS, but I have no idea if SCS has been updated to actually take use of the new compatibility (or if it needs to). I haven't had a lot of time to play around with BG in a while now, so I'm sadly not 100% sure, :(. From what I've tested, it seems like everything works, but...

There is one "moderate" outstanding issue with SRR and BGT/EET that I have wanted to solve for a while but have been unable to: spell scroll placement. In particular, I need to identify a few places to place Friends, Protection from Petrification, and Detect Alignment. SR stole the scrolls of these spells for new spells to use, but as I have restored these spells and created new scrolls for them, I need placement locations for them. I have placed some scrolls of them in BG2 via Item Revisions, but I have nothing for BG1 - and BG1 is the one that benefits most from Friends and Protection from Petrification, so that's kind of an issue.

IRR should be pretty to go as-is right now, though specifically for EET I do want to fix some variants of its unenchanted shields not being properly handled.

Protection from Petrification? I was able to use that spell when I was testing things in SR a week ago. Are you sure SR still has it removed? I'm also pretty certain I saw the scroll for this spell being sold by Thalantyr.

Regarding the other two, I would say add them to Thalantyr and Sorcerour Sundries. I know thalanthyr used to have Friends Scroll in vanilla. Probably should add them to random mob drops as well. Although I was never really happy with how it seems gnolls favorite hobbies involve carrying random amounts of gold, gems and scrolls they can't seem to use.

EDIT: Actually I've noticed another issue. I'm pretty sure is not related to SRR but I'm not sure it's SR's fault. I've been noticing some Innate spells have the wrong descriptions attached to them. The two I can remember right now are Eldoth's Create Poisoned Arrows and Faldorn Summon Dread Wolf. Instead these spells are pointing to the Barkskin spell description. Do you think this is something related to SR?

Edited by NdranC

Yes, b17 (released pretty recently) did just restore Protection from Petrification, but it did so at a cost: now Expeditious Retreat is gone. So now the situation is swapped for SRR.

Ideally, there would be a few actual location or creature placements as well, but I guess something is better than nothing!

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yes, b17 (released pretty recently) did just restore Protection from Petrification, but it did so at a cost: now Expeditious Retreat is gone. So now the situation is swapped for SRR.

Ideally, there would be a few actual location or creature placements as well, but I guess something is better than nothing!

Hmmm I'm also certain Expeditious Retreat is part of my sorcerer's spell picks so I know it was there a week ago. Maybe something else is adding it? I only have SCS, Tweaks, IR and SR and no I'm not using the components that add IWD spells since I figured SR should handle that.

Also read my edit on the previous post.

Yes, it can still appear in sorcerer picks, just like ProfP can appear in SRR, but straight from main_component.tpa:

ADD_SPELL ~spell_rev\spwi1##\spwi108.spl~ 2 1 ~WIZARD_EXPEDITIOUS_RETREAT~  // Expeditious Retreat
  SAY NAME1 @415    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @416
COPY ~spell_rev\spwi1##\dvscrl73.itm~     ~override~
  SAY NAME2 @415    SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC   @416

dvscrl73.itm is a new scroll that has not been placed anywhere in the game. Ergo, it cannot be found anywhere in the game, :).

SR/R doesn't touch those abilities, so not it. ...Also, I've never actually used Faldorn before, so I didn't even know she had a "Summon Dread Wolf" ability: what the flip is that? haha. I'd probably do a changelog on them.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Regarding some actual places for the scrolls. Hmmm. Of the top of my head and depending on how many non store related places you want, I could think of some locked chests in an Inn somewhere, the Nashkel's Inn doesn't really have anything going on for it besides some gold pieces behind some locked chests. When I play again I'll try to keep an eye out for any flavorful spots I can spot for either of those.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

SR/R doesn't touch those abilities, so not it. ...Also, I've never actually used Faldorn before, so I didn't even know she had a "Summon Dread Wolf" ability: what the flip is that? haha. I'd probably do a changelog on them.

Yeah, I'm currently working on editing companion .cre files to "update them" a little more to the new modded standards they live in and adding a little more flavor to them. Eldoth's ability strikes me as super weird because he starts with One-Handed Style and Scimitar Proficiency yet he has a special ability to create poisoned arrows? I normally add the blade kit to him and change that ability to Poison Weapon from assassins.

BTW is Imoen's wand the only instance of it in the entire game? I noticed it's description doesn't seem to be updated to be SR/IR (don't know which mod handles the wands). So I normally "fix" it by changing it to the 3 missile version. I don't want imoen to be pulling wands out of her ass that don't exist anywhere else. I know it makes the early game a little bit easier but honestly not by much with SCS mages precasting shield all over plus how heavy rng early game is with single digits HP values and minimizing early game xp cheese strats. Although if you tell me that wand is legit in lore then I will no longer hold the moral ground to not claim it's cheating a little.

Edited by NdranC

I think ideally, I'd like to have 3-5 non-store locations for each of these, as they're all level 1 spells and they're all pretty basic spells. If there are any oddball useless scroll placements (e.g. Identify) that could be harmlessly replaced, could also do that as well - I just haven't been able to play through BG1 and identify good spots.

@Imoen's wand: I believe so. IR handles the wands. There's actually a section in IR specifically for handling Imoen's wand (wand12_ in EET) - I'm surprised its description isn't getting updated, as it should be AFAIK.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think ideally, I'd like to have 3-5 non-store locations for each of these, as they're all level 1 spells and they're all pretty basic spells. If there are any oddball useless scroll placements (e.g. Identify) that could be harmlessly replaced, could also do that as well - I just haven't been able to play through BG1 and identify good spots.

@Imoen's wand: I believe so. IR handles the wands. There's actually a section in IR specifically for handling Imoen's wand (wand12_ in EET) - I'm surprised its description isn't getting updated, as it should be AFAIK.

Well look at the description of Imoen's Wand

When activated, the wand will eject a missile of magical energy that darts forth and unerringly strikes its target. This includes enemy creatures in a melee. The target creature must be seen or otherwise detected to be hit, however, so near-total concealment, such as that offered by arrow slits, can render the spell ineffective. The missile will inflict 1d4+1 points of damage.

STATISTICS:

Charge abilities:
– 1 magic missile will strike the target
  Damage: 1d4+1 magic
  Range: 100 ft.
  Area of Effect: 1 creature

Requires:
 9 Intelligence

Weight: 1

as opposed to WAND03

When activated, this wand will eject three missiles of magical energy that dart forth and unerringly strike its target, which must be visible to be hit. Each missile will deal 1D4 + 1 magic damage. Almost anyone of moderate intelligence can learn how to use this wand.

Like all wands, the Wand of Magic Missiles can only be used a limited number of times before it is expended. Once these have been used, it shatters.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities (consumes charges):
 Magic Missile: 3 missiles

Requires:  10 Intelligence

Seems different to me.

Also that description style of Imoen's Wand is what I wish it could be done with the IR items that apply a spell effect on you. It's a nice breakdown.

Edited by NdranC

Yeah, I think I see the problem - it's EET-specific. Basically, the section used to update it checks if the game is tutu, bgee, or bgt, but doesn't include eet. However, there's a part later down that specifically includes EET as an option, but because it already failed the first check, never executes, ;). Fixed!