SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

Banishment: Yeah, I would guess so. From what I'm seeing, fiends do not use that gender, but instead use 9 (summoned_demon). Devas have it set to 4 (neither), while Planetars have it set to male/female. Djinni and Efreeti have it set to male. The Elemental Princes have it set to male/female. Everything besides that looks correct. I'm not sure if Devas, Planetars, Fiends, and the Elemental Princes should have Banishment be effective upon them, but I'm thinking at least Djinni/Efreeti should. Also, if I remember correctly, I think the summon cap of 5 is hardcoded in at least BG2 via the 0x6 gender (summoned), so if you install the unlimited summons component of Anthology Tweaks, it probably simply mass changes the gender to something else, which means I should probably figure out what and account for it. As for the merit of the spell itself, I'm not exactly a huge fan of it, especially since it currently does not affect the most powerful of summons (which is where it would actually be effective - any battle where celestials and fiends are getting summoned). I'm still thinking it over, though.

Yeah, demons, devils don't get tied to anything... unless you make them controllable celestials.

Other celestial beings are not bound to the summon cap of 5, but to the summon cap of 1, in the non-EE games via their gender. The caps are easy to edit in the EE games, via the summoncap.2da if memory serves...

And Tweaks and a PPG mod that sets the summon cap to limitless, make it by setting the summoned creatures gender to 20( 0x1e or something to that effect). Which is not defined in normal game, as it's outside the regular limit. So Banishment should work it's wonder on them as well, if this has not been cheesed around. Spirits(Djinni and Efreeti) ... I thing the SR makes them Celestials as well, but do check on that.

Okay, good, it at least is setting their gender to something unique, so that Banishment can still work on SR's end (seeing as SR is installed way before TA) by simply telling it to kill that gender of creatures, too. Gosh, Banishment is in such an awkward spot as a 6th level spell, I'm really not sure whether it should be able to kill 9th level spells (e.g. Gate) and/or HLAs or not. If not, it makes it a hard sell to ever memorize it - if so, it makes it borderline OP throughout ToB. Hmm...

Okay, good, it at least is setting their gender to something unique, so that Banishment can still work on SR's end (seeing as SR is installed way before TA) by simply telling it to kill that gender of creatures, too. Gosh, Banishment is in such an awkward spot as a 6th level spell, I'm really not sure whether it should be able to kill 9th level spells (e.g. Gate) and/or HLAs or not. If not, it makes it a hard sell to ever memorize it - if so, it makes it borderline OP throughout ToB. Hmm...

Well, you have ..cloud kill on ... 7th level (... was it?), that has the same exact effect, but also damages non-summoned creatures. So- no to killing high level "summoned" opponents. Power Word: Kill -should though. As that should be single target...

Both of those tweak mods should also add the kill command to the already installed spells that use the same opcode to the "summoned", to their summoned creatures.

By the way, you might want to make a new healing spell category in addition to "cure wounds", called "healing word", which is just a single target ranged spell with a lesser versions of the cure category ones. And perhaps bards should get it too...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

If I remember correctly the logic behind banishment not affecting demons and celestials is that they are "gated" creatures, not summoned. Maybe banishment could affect gated creatures if they fail a save vs spell at -2 or something? Is this doable in the engine?

Yes I do play on BG2EE.

Is Spell Trap supposed to block AoE effects? I thought only Deflections did that.

I think spell trap should block AoE like shield of the Archons. Btw, shield of the Archons looks to work perfectly in my game.

Banishment: I have not touched Banishment except to fix its icon. Does this apply to ALL summonings, or were there particular ones you tested it against?

I have tested banishments on standards summoned creatures. (monster summoning spells). I know that gated creatures are not supposed to be banished.

Prismatic Mantle: Yeah, it's a problematic case. What I have thought about doing is increasing its protection up to +3 and making it so that its prismatic effect can only trigger once per round upon a given enemy (i.e. if you have two fighters attacking a caster with it, they'll both be affected by the mantle, but only once per round each). It's pretty hard to figure out what to do with this one.

Yes increase its protection up to +3 is the least we can do, that is the current behaviour with SCS. (Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity (BG2EE,BG2,BGT))

Personally I would not be happy even with +3 . Especially in ToB I know that the fight is over everytime en enemy mage is casting prismatic mantle...( protection from magical weapons looks a way better choice, especially for liches)

Also BIG WARNING with moment of prescience. It is the same issue as above. - 20 AC means nothing for a mage, especially when you have a party with strong figthers (-10 thac0) making critical hits ofen etc...

We should stick to what DavidW has done and what SCS enemies mage are expecting. (so at least +4 protection from weapons)

Edited by DrAzTiK

From what I recall, Moment of Prescience is actually +40, not +20, though I'm not sure how effective that actually is in practice. I left it as previously described because I did not understand why it was like this (i.e. I did not change it to be like that), but it actually gives you a +20 bonus to AC, then an additional hidden +20 vs. the individual types of weapons (slashing, crushing, piercing, missile). So if that's not enough AC, I'm not sure that anything would be. Also, the big weakness of PfMW is that if you literally have any unenchanted weapon lying around (say...Bala's Axe even, which I always keep on hand personally in BG2), PfMW is useless. So from the player perspective against an AI caster, both PfMW and Prismatic Mantle are unfortunately pretty flawed spells.

Shield of the Archons deflects AoE spells properly, but the spell deflections don't?

@Wyrd: I rather like that idea, and it's definitely possible. I think I'll implement that on a preliminary basis (aka subject to be reverted if it becomes problematic).

Edited by Bartimaeus

Shield of the Archons deflects AoE spells properly, but the spell deflections don't?

yes

Maybe I need more test for Moment of prescience but there is also the problem of critical hits. if you have a party of 6, under haste or umproved haste, it means a lot of critical hits and just one or 2 critical hit means the enemie mage is dead.

Edited by DrAzTiK

I don't see how that can be. The way the "spell deflections work against AoE spells" subcomponent works is that AoE spells are split into two different spells where the base spell cast is just the AoE projectile that then casts a deflectable singular target version of the spell with the actual effects. So if a spell is being correctly deflected by one form of Spell Deflection (i.e. SotA), it should be deflected by any other (i.e. Greater Spell Deflection). Can you please describe the exact situation(s) where you have found Shield of the Archon to work but not the Spell Deflection?

Edited by Bartimaeus

In my game (I'm playing bg2 ee too) problem seems to reside in singular spells. Meteor swarm seems to be deflected correctly by spell trap, but for example burning hands is not deflected.

Oh and, meteor swarms doesn't seem to have any animation (the spell works however).

WeiDU.log

Edited by Wyrd

Burning Hands makes sense, since it is not handled by the AoE spell deflection subcomponent. I'll try to make sure to add it. Others I see possibly not working correctly include Dragon's Breath, Comet, priests' Silence, Fire Trap, druids' Gust of Wind?, druids' Ice Storm, Repulsion?, the Banishments, Earthquake?, Bhaalspawn's innate Horror, Priest of Lathander's innate Halt Undead. I think I'll leave Dragon's Breath, Comet, and the innate abilities be, since spell deflection's not really supposed to deflect innate abilities and the HLAs can be innate abilities depending on your install...and then I'll try to figure out what needs fixing out of the rest.

If everything else works besides those, that would suggest AoE spell deflection is working correctly, just with some oversighted spells that weren't added yet.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Apparently, this problem only occurs with Edwin on my game, with Jan jansen and Anomen (shield of the Archons) it is working correctly. what is going on lol

For testing, I just cast spell deflection/spell trap/shield of the Archons on myself and I cast an damage spell with AoE on me .

Edited by DrAzTiK

Earthquake, Chain Lighting and probably some other spells are a bit more complicated tto tweak iirc (they already cast subspells).

DB/Comet I couldn't get to work properly last time I tried. I'd prefer if Deflection stopped them, tbh.

Apparently, this problem only occurs with Edwin on my game, with Jan jansen and Anomen (shield of the Archons) it is working correctly. what is going on lol

For testing, I just cast spell deflection/spell trap/shield of the Archons on myself and I cast an damage spell with AoE on me .

Use 2 mages, casting spells on each other. It's possible Delfection won't stop AoE spell cast from self.

Earthquake, Chain Lighting and probably some other spells are a bit more complicated tto tweak iirc (they already cast subspells).

DB/Comet I couldn't get to work properly last time I tried. I'd prefer if Deflection stopped them, tbh.

Use 2 mages, casting spells on each other. It's possible Delfection won't stop AoE spell cast from self.

Yes you are right Kreso! So yes Deflection type spell do not stop AoE spell cast from self. is it normal ?

Also I don't understand why there is such a big gap between spell trap/shield of archons and others deflection spell.

We also have greater deflection (level7) blocking 12 level spell while shield of archons (level 7) is blocking 99 levels spells. both are level 7 spells.

But yes not easy to balance.

I don't know if it's normal that you can't protect yourself fro your own spells, but I'm sure it can't be changed :).

Archons is level 7 priest spell, it has very short duration (iirc 1 turn) and a splendid casting time of 1. It's supposed to be used to "dodge" incoming spells in the middle of a battle rather than a long buff.

Deflections are kind of the opposite. GSD should probably absorb more, in any case.