SR Revised V1.3.200 (2020 August 22nd)

Bartimaeus

Can I get a quick clarification on how Dispel Magic works in terms of determining the level? The description claims that it's based on the spell's level that it's being dispelled. So let's say for example that a target has Shield. This is a level 1 spell and I'm a caster of level 3. Does that mean that I have a 70% chance to dispel it? Is it based on caster level? So can I increase my chances with +Caster level gear?

Are the spell levels fixed or are they determined by the spell  progression tables? I ask because I modded my own and I change when mages and sorcerers get certain spell levels. (minor changes).

I thought, "There's no way that Dispel Magic doesn't make it patently clear how it works!".

...But then I actually read the relevant part of the description:
"The chance of the dispel succeeding is determined by the experience level of the caster and the level of the magic being dispelled. The base chance of successfully dispelling is 50%. For every level that the caster of Dispel Magic is above the level of the magic they are trying to dispel, their chance of success increases by 5%. For every level that the caster of Dispel Magic is below the level of the magic they attempt to dispel, their chance of success decreases by 10%. However, despite the difference in levels, there is always at least a 1% chance of success or failure. Thus, if a caster is 10 levels higher than the magic they are trying to dispel, there is only a 1% chance of failure. Similarly, if the caster is 4 levels lower than the magic they are trying to dispel, there is only a 10% chance of success. Intuitively, this spell is almost useless if the level of the magic attempted to dispel is 5 or more levels higher than the caster."

...It never directly mentions that it's caster vs. caster, and indeed, seems to imply caster vs. spell level. Easily solved by just saying "For every level the caster of Dispel Magic is above the level of the caster of the magic they are trying to dispel[...]".

Edited by Bartimaeus
15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I thought, "There's no way that Dispel Magic doesn't make it patently clear how it works!".

...But then I actually read the relevant part of the description:
"The chance of the dispel succeeding is determined by the experience level of the caster and the level of the magic being dispelled. The base chance of successfully dispelling is 50%. For every level that the caster of Dispel Magic is above the level of the magic they are trying to dispel, their chance of success increases by 5%. For every level that the caster of Dispel Magic is below the level of the magic they attempt to dispel, their chance of success decreases by 10%. However, despite the difference in levels, there is always at least a 1% chance of success or failure. Thus, if a caster is 10 levels higher than the magic they are trying to dispel, there is only a 1% chance of failure. Similarly, if the caster is 4 levels lower than the magic they are trying to dispel, there is only a 10% chance of success. Intuitively, this spell is almost useless if the level of the magic attempted to dispel is 5 or more levels higher than the caster."

...It never directly mentions that it's caster vs. caster, and indeed, seems to imply caster vs. spell level. Easily solved by just saying "For every level the caster of Dispel Magic is above the level of the caster of the magic they are trying to dispel[...]".

Yeah I know that is how it works in vanilla, but based on that description I though SR changed it to be per magic level. Too bad I was really enjoying the idea of dispel magic based on specific spell level. So it just works like good old vanilla then. Is it worth it? Like let's say for a sorcerer. It always felt that enemies were just massively over leveled compared to my character so it never felt worth it.

It's useless against way higher level casters (e.g. liches). Dispel Magic (and Remove Magic, which in SRR has 20' AoE but affects only enemies) can still be very useful against groups of enemies (since groups naturally tend to have enemies closer to your level). So...yes, it can still be useful.

A couple of inconsistencies :)

Aerial Servant: Only last 5 turns, not 1 turn/level as in the spell description.

Invisible Stalker: Says in spell description, that Invisible Stalker has zero physical resistance, but dvstalk.cre has 20% crushing, slashing, piercing and 60% missile resistance.

Edited by Kilgor
2 hours ago, Kilgor said:

A couple of inconsistencies :)

Aerial Servant: Only last 5 turns, not 1 turn/level as in the spell description.

Invisible Stalker: Says in spell description, that Invisible Stalker has zero physical resistance, but dvstalk.cre has 20% crushing, slashing, piercing and 60% missile resistance.

Thanks, correct on both counts. I think I simply forgot to input the correct values when I was standardizing all the summonable creatures' descriptions for Invisible Stalker. Aerial Servant...I think I may have intended at some point to limit it to 5 turns, but I'm no longer sure of the rationale why, and now I think I prefer 1 turn/levlel to match with Aerial Servant (...coincidentally both creatures of air, the only two summonables with 1 turn/level lengths, having spwi601.spl and sppr601.spl as their resource names, and both being the subject of your bug report, :p).

Aid spell seems to give too much temporary hit points.  My 4th level cleric gave my fighter (24 hit points) 17 temporary hit points. 24 => 41. At least by the spell text it should give only 9 (24 => 33). 

6 hours ago, Merlin said:

Aid spell seems to give too much temporary hit points.  My 4th level cleric gave my fighter (24 hit points) 17 temporary hit points. 24 => 41. At least by the spell text it should give only 9 (24 => 33). 

17? That's...weird, it maxes out at 15 at tenth level, which I just confirmed by looking at the spell in DLTCEP. Could you send me a copy of your SPPR201.spl from override?

(e): Wait, hold on, I might've figured it out.

(e): Yep, never mind, confirmed and fixed. Didn't realize the "aid" effect was applying a 1D8 maximum hit point bonus, so Aid was always giving anywhere between 1 and 8 too many HP.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I have a suggestion, would it be a good idea to make restoration spells cure attribute drain as well as level drain? I know SCS has a component to make this happen but I'm not sure how it interacts with SR or SRR. I'm currently going through Siege of Dragonspear and attribute drain is making me waste a lot of time.

Restoration spells...meaning Lesser Restore, or like any kind of restoration spell (e.g. Cure Light Wounds)? To be honest, I think it's kind of stupid that Lesser Restore doesn't do anything besides cure level drain - I get that it's "lesser", but that is so, so very specific, so I'd be fine with giving it some lesser effects like restoring stat attributes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.