SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

42 minutes ago, NdranC said:

Personally I'm in favor of these two. If we are going to stick with the word "Breach" in the description of the spell then I would rather do the exact same thing Breach does. Respecting terminology to keep a consistent behavior will help players make predictions about how a spell works based on previous interactions with similar effects. I don't mind if it's a new effect but maybe we not use the word "Breach" if it will not work like it.

Side question, I have been avoiding casting these on liches, but does Secret Word/Spell Thrust/Breach bypass lich spell immunity? Or Rakshasa ones for that matter?

@Bartimaeus I'm having  a lot of issues with Time Stop. Not sure if this is something related to SR(R) or my install but buffs and debuff keep ticking away while I'm casting spells. I casted Pierce Magic on a lich to have all the Disintegrates that I casted during Time Stop be absorbed by MR because the 2 round effect wore off in the middle of it. Same with Dectect Invisibility. I have been unable to target Improved Invis mages in the middle of my Time Stop because it wore off.

I make zero changes to Time Stop, and the effect is completely hardcoded. Whatever quirks it has, it is what it is.

Liches/Rakshasas: As SD said, yes.

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 8/19/2020 at 6:27 PM, DavidW said:

I can get SCS mages to use it more- that’s often a good way to convince people something is overpowered :)

The forum is not allowing me to @you for some reason, so I'm quoting this instead. Here are the spells that your sequencers/contingencies files use that do not have ranges of 30 (and aren't self-targeting):

Minor Sequencers:
Color Spray - 10 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)
Burning Hands - 2 in SR, 5 in vanilla
Knock - 20 in SR/vanilla

Sequencer:
A few Fire Shield Blues are still enabled for SR games (will instead cast similar spell Mestil's Acid Sheath instead - though one level higher, acceptable IMO)
The Polymorph Other sequencer is disabled for SR games? Not sure why.
Icelance - 10 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)
Vitriolic Sphere - 20 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)
Skull Trap - 20 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)

Call Woodland Beings - 20 in SR, 25 in vanilla
Poison - 10 in SR/vanilla

Trigger:
A few Spell Immunities are still enabled for SR games
A few Fire Shield Blues are still enabled for SR games (maybe just keep all the Fire Shield Blues enabled for SR, since the difference between it and Mestil's is minor?)
Cone of Cold - 10 in SR, 12 in vanilla
Wizard Elemental Conjurings - 20 in SR, 15 in vanilla
Invisible Stalker - 20 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)
Animate Dead/Summon Shadow - 20 in SR, 25 in vanilla

Chain Contingency:
A few Spell Immunities are still enabled for SR games
A few Spell Turnings are still enabled for SR games (will instead cast similar spell Greater Spell Deflection instead - same level, acceptable IMO)
Druid Elemental Conjurings - 20 in SR, 30 in vanilla (SR problem)

Stricken lines are the fault of SR for not having ranges of 30 as the vanilla spells do, and not really SCS' concern if they fail.

...Also, in case of it's of any interest, here are some more easily readable/editable versions of those .2das: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7wcitx0cukwqv8r/triggers.zip Use or don't - it doesn't really matter, I just made it more readable for my own sake, :p. Maybe you only read these tables in Excel and so it literally doesn't matter.

Edited by Bartimaeus
19 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

since you remove the breaching part of the spell, you have the same problem as adding Dispelling Screen-removal to Spellstrike: the mechanics no longer overlap, so it's a non-fitting addition

Seems to me the same can be said of the base SR version, removing combat protections...?

In any event we need not force players to abide by our decision - I made 5 different options available over here

I also added Breachier Breach, restoring liches’ and rakshasas’  blanket immunity to 5th-level spells, and works by the structure of its effects instead. This, frankly, is probably not needed for most players; the SCS method is usually fine. But it may miss giving immunity to some spells added by mods. There is an alternative option, which makes a slight change to rakshasa, allowing you to use 7th-level spells against them but giving them acid and poison immunity.

Edited by subtledoctor

SD: Thanks.

SR V1.3.200 is fundamentally done...-ish. There are two outstanding issues: the alternative DIspel Magic I wanted to make, and patching some IR tooltips. Dispel Magic isn't going to get done at this time, but I'll look at finishing the tooltips updates by the end of today and officially releasing.

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

SD: Thanks.

SR V1.3.200 is fundamentally done...-ish. There are two outstanding issues: the alternative DIspel Magic I wanted to make, and patching some IR tooltips. Dispel Magic isn't going to get done at this time, but I'll look at finishing the tooltips updates by the end of today and officially releasing.

I know the issue with excessive power of Dispell magic has been up for quite a while, maybe its time to implement the change as mandatory? Just asking :)  

Maybe, but it's not something I want to screw around with at this time.

Finally, patch notes for V1.3.100 (patch notes for V1.3.200 coming tomorrow):

Changes:

1. Added a setting to settings.ini where shapeshift forms get the two-handed flag to prevent shields from applying (applies only to EE games, default option but it can be disabled).
  2. Settings.ini option for setting Globes of Invulnerability behavior: the default behavior is now that the globe itself cannot be dispelled by Dispel/Remove Magic (it used to be in base SR), but you may change the setting to make it still do OR make it so that Dispel/Remove Magic are immunized against by globes entirely.
  3. Larloch's Energy Drain (9th level) also applies an instant death effect at a -4 saving throw.
  4. Defensive Harmony's radius was increased from 10' to 20'.
  5. Settings.ini option for changing Web behavior - instead of holding on a failed saving throw, it sets creatures to 1/8th speed and applies some THAC0 and AC penalties (disabled by default).
  6. Ice Storm's movement speed penalty was reduced from 80% to 75%.
  7. Stinking Cloud was buffed to *always* apply the -2 THAC0 and AC penalties regardless of saving throw (except against creatures who don't breathe), plus setting movement speed to half if they don't make their save.
  8. Sunscorch's damage was nerfed from 2D6 + 1D6 / every two extra levels to 1D6 + 1/level (not subject to magic resistance). Average damage at 10th level went down from 21 to 13.5 - still pretty decent, but not as overwhelmingly powerful for 1st level druid spells as it used to be. Its casting time is now 4 instead of 5 (matches IWD).
  9. Grease's radius was increased from 10' to 20', and movement speed is set to 25% upon a made saving throw.
  10. Glitterdust now has a radius of 30' (from 10'), and the turn-visible and THAC0 penalty effects always apply regardless of saving throw. Only the "cannot turn back invisible" effect is gated behind the saving throw, and all effects last an entire turn instead of 5 rounds.
  11. Faerie Fire now has a radius of 20' (from 5'), and the turn-visible effect always applies regardless of saving throw. The AC penalty and "cannot turn back invisible" effect are gated behind the saving throw, and all effects last for 5 rounds instead of 1 turn.
  12. Shapeshift Salamander (Polymorph Self) doesn't grant immunity normal weapons anymore, receives some better stats in return (basically for BG1's sake, plus from what I saw of atweaks' Salamander, it isn't supposed to have protection from normal weapons anyways).
  13. Giant Spiders for...MS4? were slightly buffed.
  14. Otiluke's Resilient Sphere was re-designed to allow using of items while inside the sphere for party members (e.g. potions, or just shifting stuff around in your backpack).

Fixes:

1. Dispelling Screen's portrait icon says Dispelling Screen instead of Spell Immunity.
  2. More consistent protection from 1pp/EE projectiles for the various forms of missile protection.
  3. Polymorph Other's form stats are the same across the druid/mage version of the spell.
  4. Fixed an issue where Blades could not learn either Monster Summoning 4 or Spell Deflection.
  5. Attempt to remove all copies of disabled, undroppable Protection from Electricity from stores and areas.
  6. Replaced weird duplicate-but-different-resource Break Enchantment scroll instances with good copy where known.
  7. Some consistency-izing of enchantment level and stuff of various on-hit spell weapons like Cause Wounds and Shocking/Chill Touch.
  8. Pit Fiend was missing an icon for its weapon.
  9. Cause Wounds got the red Cure Wound-style icons properly enabled for all spells in the series. Additionally, a couple of them were bugger for non-EE games due to format issues - fixed as well.
  10. Some critical bugs relating to creature scripts that were being caused by github itself were fixed.
  11. Some backported EE Enchanted Weapons (e.g. Wakizashi +3 and Ninja-To +3) icons weren't being correctly handled for non-EE games.
  12. All versions of Break Enchantment should hopefully be consistent.
  13. Some better explanations of Mind Shield and Mind Blank were included.
  14. Mind Blank should hopefully consistently protect from Detect Alignment/Detect Evil.
  15. All "magic attack"s (e.g. Secret Word, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Spellstrike, etc.) were all set to a power level of 0 to make sure they always work (note: accidentally also set Breach to 0 here, fixed in the next version).
  16. Physical Mirror's description was never updated to say 1 turn + 1 round/level.
  17. Made 1pp's unique Mage Armor and Cause Wounds graphics apply (note: Spirit Armor didn't work correctly because of a typo, fixed in the next version).
  18. Chain Lighting's base lightning always hits the primary target, even if they're friendly/neutral at the time it hits.
  19. Friends was claiming it granted a saving throw? (Additionally, a handful of other spells had similar errors.)
  20. Prevented SCS antimagic description rewriting bug.
  21. Rewrote Dispelling Screen's description to hopefully be more clear.
  22. Summon Shadows was using the old Carrion Summons icon for its scroll.
  23. Fixed Mestil's Acid Sheath not having all effects for all of its levels always installed.
  24. Enabled 1pp graphics for Enchanted Weapon projectiles (plus re-paletted some of the weapons to match 1pp/EE versions).
  25. Fixed Banishment, Hold Person, etc. spells from allowing a saving throw message on creatures where the effect wouldn't be applicable anyways.

V1.3.200.

NOTE: A lot of stuff under the hood that you probably won't notice, but which has effectively adapted SRR for a change in installation order, please see the following post in the IRR thread (applies even if you use only IRR or SRR): https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28894-ir-revised-v13200-2020-august-15th/?do=findComment&comment=286910. The gist is that SRR is now installed after IR/R and patches IR/R resources instead of trying to do it the other way around. Additionally, SRR now attempts to apply 1pp patches to non-EE games if it detects that the relevant 1pp components are installed beforehand (e.g. special graphical changes, making it so Protection from Missiles and Physical Mirror properly protect against all forms of missiles, etc.). I'll get around to updating the main post of this thread...eventually.

Changes:

1. Hold-type spells having their original graphical effect restored for easy visual clarity on who's being held (plus I usually love restoring original graphics - at least, when no substitute graphical effect was made).
  2. Genies and Efreetis are now marked as "Gated" creatures, making them more difficult to Banish (subject to the saving throw instead of automatic).
  3. The Winter Wolf Polymorph Self form has -25% fire resistance.
  4. Skull Trap, Vitriolic Sphere, Icelance, Elemental Conjuring spells, Call Woodland Beings, Animate Dead, Animate Warrior, Shambling Mound, Aerial Servant, Summon Shadow, Invisible Stalker all have their ranges extended to 30' for maximum SCS compatibility. A couple of these are unfortunate (specifically Skull Trap, Icelance, and Vitriolic Sphere IMO), but it is to ensure that when SCS and player-controlled mages attempt to cast sequencers and contingencies involving these spells, they're actually cast instead of failing due to out-of-range issues.
  5. Spell Shield now totally absorbs Warding Whip. Previously, this was not the case: beware of casting this on spellcasters with a Spell Shield currently running, for secondary effect of additional spell protection takedowns will *not* occur. This only makes sense given that Spell Shield totally absorbs the secondary effects of e.g. Spellstrike, Pierce Shield, and Pierce Magic, and this is actually how it works in an unmodded BG2EE game as well (as well as possibly the official version of SR?).
  6. Lower Resistance is now 10% + 2% per level for a max of 50% at 20th level. Alternatively, there is now a settings.ini setting you can enable (defaulted to off) that leaves Lower Resistance at 2% per level for a maximum of 40% at 20th level, but changes it so that it is a target + 20' radius AoE spell, giving it potentially more use in situations against e.g. mindflayers and drow.
  7. Remove Magic has two alternative implementations that can be enabled in settings.ini: 1. Change the percentage-based system to instead simply be a level-scaling saving throw system that maxes out at -4 at 20th level (may change this in the future - I wasn't too pleased with how the numbers exactly worked out, but it may be a viable idea with some tweaking); 2. Instead of the dispelling effect, it becomes a Breach-like effect that dispels 1 combat and specific protection (each) for about every 6 levels of the caster, up to a maximum of 3. Also not too pleased with the exact numbers, may be tweaked in the future. You can also try Subtledoctor's tweak from his spell-miscellania mod if you like his implementation better!
  8. Denak (leader of the Red Wizards in that one BG1 area) drops a scroll of Vitriolic Sphere.
  9. Kahrk (mega-doom ogre mondo magi ultra-bastard in BG1's Firewine Bridge) drops a scroll of Wraithform and a scroll of Dispelling Screen in addition to his other randomly-generated treasures.
  10. Carsa (the lady whom dies if you summon Kahrk) also drops a scroll of Protection from Petrification in addition to that...Protection from Alteration scroll she has, I think?
  11. Zordra (crazy wizard who is convinced some other mage is a witch in Nashkel) drops a scroll of Detect Alignment.
  12. The High Hedge cabin (which only contains...an aquamarine gem on a table?) now also has a scroll of Friends on the table.
  13. The Trade Way North cave (south of Nashkel) now contains a scroll of Protection from Petrification (in addition to the modest gold pile and a potion it contained).
  14. The Nashkel noble house (top right of the main area) has a curiously empty bookshelf - there are other scrolls in this house, and so it now also has a Friends scroll.

Fixes:

1. Summon Hakeashar was calling itself a Nishruu when actually summoned.
  2. BG1 temples should always have Dispel Magic instead of Remove Magic.
  3. Some of the Mordenakinen's Sword's immunities were not targeting itself correctly and therefore not applying.
  4. Mestil's Acid Sheath's level headers got mucked up somehow and weren't always casting at the correct level as they should.
  5. Spirit Armor's unique 1pp graphical effect wasn't applying to EE games due to a typo.
  6. The scroll school-setting function was incorrectly setting the wrong exclusionary schools for Necromancy, Illusion, and Evocation scrolls.
  7. False Dawn claimed a radius of 30' in its description - it's actually 20'.
  8. Color Spray's spray size was just...not right. It claimed 60 degrees and a range of 20, but it was more like...maybe 40' and a range of 10, maybe 15. It's bigger now.
  9. Prismatic Spray now mentions how big the spray actually is in its description (...and since I noticed that Color Spray and Prismatic Spray both had oddities, I made sure Cone of Cold was behaving as it should as well - it seemed to be).
  10. Updated Detectable Spells with the guidance of DavidW.
  11. Sunscorch wasn't applying correctly to undead creatures due to a typo. (How ironic - I just proofread this sentence and realized I typed "do to a typo" and had to correct it.)
Edited by Bartimaeus

Re ranged spells in contingencies/triggers in SCS: I think the problem is fairly small. NPCs don't use the main Spell Sequencer opcode, they fake it. (That's true in vanilla, in SCS, and in any mod I know.) SCS fakes it in one of two ways:

(i) if any spell in the sequencer grants a saving throw, the spells are cast using ReallyForceSpell (and a fake, visual-only, spell is cast to simulate the Sequencer itself).

(ii) in other cases, I build a bespoke spell that uses opcode 146 to cast the spells.

(My v32 alpha always used method (ii), but creatures end up rolling one saving throw and using it for all spells in the sequencer, which isn't desirable.)

Method (i) doesn't have a problem with range, because ReallyForceSpell() ignores range. (I suppose I ought to be checking to keep things legal, but life is too short.) Theoretically cone spells are an exception, but I think I do an explicit range check for cone spells. 

Method (ii) will fail if the range for the envelope spell is larger than the range for the payload spells. Looking down your list, I think that's

Vanilla and SR: Call Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, Animate Dead/Summon Shadow

SR only: also Invisible Stalker, high-level elementals.

Looking back across the thread, I think the reported problems with short-range spells were in players' sequencers/triggers, not in SCS's... but if that's wrong, let me know.

In the medium term, I can fix this dynamically: I was being lazy and giving my fake spells a hardcoded range, but I ought to just scan the payload spells dynamically and set the bespoke spell range to the smallest of the payload ranges.

Method (ii) will fail if the range for the envelope spell is larger than the range for the payload spells.

For the benefit of anyone who is less knowledgeable about this stuff: in my experience the envelope spell will actually fail if it is targeted at the precise range of the payload spell, or even when targeted at a spot that is 2' closer than the range of the payload spell.  So to deliver a Skull Trap with a range of 20', you would have to target spot 17' away or less.  The way to handle this is with envelope spells in general is to actually set the range to 3 less than the payload spell, so that the player cannot choose an ineffective target location.  But AFAIK this is not possible with sequencers.

In general, any spell with an intended range of 30' can as well be given a higher range (I think many SR spells have their range set to 40'), because a range higher than 30 will still be limited by the fog of war.  (Though don't set the range too high, for fear of abusing the sight-lines of allies.)  If i was considering spell ranges de novo, I would 1) set most ranged spells to 36' or so; and 2) think really hard whether shorter-range spells really need to have shorter ranges.  In playing, I have found small ranges for stuff like Vitriolic Sphere to more of an annoyance than an interesting tactical trade-off.  Better, IMHO, to balance their damage, AoE, saves, or some other characteristic.

That is going from memory, so anyone please correct it if I am not accurate.  I also don't recall off-hand whether this is specific to opcode 148, or whether it is also true for opcode 146.

Edited by subtledoctor
6 hours ago, DavidW said:

Looking back across the thread, I think the reported problems with short-range spells were in players' sequencers/triggers, not in SCS's... but if that's wrong, let me know.

It happened to me against the Drow Lich. He used a sequencer with 3 remove magic and then tried to use (probably trigger?) with 3 spells 2 out of the 3 failed to cast according to the log.

I'm currently in the middle of the Kangaxx fight and I'm noticing that Imprisonment is NOT working on planetars. Is this intended? When I cast Imprisonment I see the same spell effect that banishment has on the planetar and it loops a couple times but nothing happens. There is no save in the chat and the planetar remains active.