SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

They are apparently intended to be immune to Imprisonment, as it's a specific immunity listed in the Summon Planetar spell description. News to me, but admittedly I'm not ever gonna remember every last creature immunity, :p

Hmmm. Not sure I like that. I might have to edit my sorc spells and change Imprisonment for something else since I literally only got that spell to deal with Planetars. Thankfully the vorpal sword can be stopped with Death Ward but I guess the only really way to deal with them is to spam banishment and hope for the best?

Side note. How do you deal with Sequencers with 3 Remove Magic? Last time I fought a strong Lich I learned my lesson and I assumed there would be another 3 Remove Magic sequencer coming from Kangaxx. I was right, unfortunately he still casted it on one of my party members which basically took them out from the rest of the battle. Do you think there is some merit on having an upgraded Dispelling Screen? Maybe having Minor Globe of Invulnerability also protect from dispelling? I think there is a heavy armor that makes me immune to spells 3 and lower. Would that protect from remove magic?

I believe it is a P&P thing for them to be immune to Imprisonment, and additionally, I think there is an old bug with having your own celestials being imprisoned which prevents you from ever summoning one again until you use Freedom on it to let it desummon.

There actually is already a Globe setting.ini option that makes Globes completely immunize against DIspel/Remove Magic. At install time only, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I get that is a P&P thing and in general I'm mostly in favor of such changes. I just personally find Planetars a little too... obnoxious to deal with and I liked the idea of having like an "Improved" banished spell. How do you deal with them in your game? I would ignore them if not for the fact at any moment a mage could cast remove magic and risk a perma kill on someone without a Death Ward. I guess I could Banish them but it's so rng and their saves seem pretty good.

Hmm I might try Globes with that setting at some point. The spell seems pretty pointless as is to me.

On another topic. I've been testing Vanilla+SCS+IWD spells and I noticed not only SCS added the IWD spells but there are new spell effects and animations all over the place. Clerics get a new Red looking orb spell and druid's sunscorch got a face lift. Not sure where these spell effects came from but is it possible for you to use some of these on SR spells? Either to make them look better or to use them to distinguish different spell buffs a little better?

Honestly, I don't like ToB that much, so I haven't dealt with SCS celestials in a number of years since I usually run out of steam by the time I beat Irenicus. Don't have a good recommendation for you, unfortunately. SRR's Banishment is at least an option, but I haven't tested it enough to see how effective it truly is against celestials. My feeling is that celestials are *supposed* to be tough and annoying, so I was actually more concerned that SRR's Banishment might be too effective, not not enough.

There are also new (though very tentative and subject to change) Remove Magic options as of V1.3.200 as well that you may find interesting/useful - additionally, Subtledoctor added some new options in his mod as well. They are made with the intent of reducing the power of Remove Magic both against and for the player - though again, very tentatively designed.

Variant #1: Remove Magic dispels the magical effects upon any enemies within the area of effect. This includes effects from spells, potions, and certain magical items such as wands. It does not, however, affect enchanted magical items or spell protections such as Spell Deflection. While this spell dispels the individual effects of Grease, Web, Stinking Cloud, and other such spells, it does not dispel the area of effect. The affected creatures have a saving throw penalty of -1 for every five experience levels of the caster, up to a maximum of -6 at 30th level. Magic resistance does not affect this spell.

Variant #2: Remove Magic dispels one specific and one combat protection on any enemies within the area of effect. Additional protections are dispelled at 12th level and again at 18th level, up to a maximum of 3 each. Magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell.

I know basically nothing about IWD1 (I've played through IWD2 once, PST a handful of times, BG1 maybe like 10 times, BG2 probably like 50, and ToB a handful, but was never able to stomach IWD1), but I can certainly take a look at some of them, particularly if you point me in the right way for the ones you have in mind. My time is pretty limited for right now, so anything would probably not be immediate and be more of a to-do list sort of thing, but if there are good graphical effects from IWDEE that I can steal, I'll be all for it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 8/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, subtledoctor said:

That's very annoying.  If you get hit by  both, they should just cancel each other out and be net neutral, regardless of the order they are applied.  I thought that's what recently happened to me recently in the Den of Seven Vales fight - they cast Slow, I cast Haste, and when the dust settled some of my guys were hasted and others weren't.  I must have misunderstood what happened.  (That fight does get pretty hectic.*)

Yesterday i had a figth with golems, that got Slow spell in their magic arsenal. I dabbled a bit with Haste / Slow interractions and i was a bit surprised actually by how Slow and Haste were applied. If my party was Hasted before battle after Slow was cast on my guys some of those were slowed and some were not (last ones did not have any haste or slow effects on them). I checked log and realized that after Slow casted some of my party members Saved vs spell and some did not. Those who did - neither were slowed or hasted (like hasted was negated but slow effect did not apply), those who did not - were slowed. Strangely enough i think the same thing worked with reverse order - first Slow effect then Haste. I am not sure about the last  one though, cant remember exactly, but when i ll be back home in 2 days ill give it a double check. 

4 hours ago, pochesun said:

Yesterday i had a figth with golems, that got Slow spell in their magic arsenal. I dabbled a bit with Haste / Slow interactions and i was a bit surprised actually by how Slow and Haste were applied.

Well, I've written up my tweaked haste/slow mod and with that, they will properly cancel each other out and leave you with no effects at all if both are cast on you, in any order.  (The tweak actally ended up being pretty elegant: simply switch the offensive opcode 221 effects to defensive opcode 226 effects, leaving their resource fields exactly the same.  Every haste and slow effect becomes a Spell Shield for their respective sectypes - when hit with the opposing sectype, it blocks the attack but is itself dispelled.  Works beautifully!)

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Well, I've written up my tweaked haste/slow mod and with that, they will properly cancel each other out and leave you with no effects at all if both are cast on you, in any order.  (The tweak actally ended up being pretty elegant: simply switch the offensive opcode 221 effects to defensive opcode 226 effects, leaving their resource fields exactly the same.  Every haste and slow effect becomes a Spell Shield for their respective sectypes - when hit with the opposing sectype, it blocks the attack but is itself dispelled.  Works beautifully!)

I will keep it in mind, thx. But i have to admit that i like the element of randomness when save vs spell occurs in haste-slow interraction :) I wonder what initial thought about haste slow interraction BG developers had back in the day.

Edited by pochesun
Guest Mythdragon

A question for Bartimaeus.If I used second variant of dispel magic(breach-lite) enemy clerics and monsters use that version too right? I would much prefer a single type of dispel for everybody. You mentioned another dispel option by Subtledoctor but i missed that can anybody point that out for me.

Guest Mythdragon

Is it and easy change to make all dispel effects uniform? Like overriding few files with preferred version of the spell or would i have too mess with many spell and item files myself. I especially like to have party friendly version for divine casters.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, Guest Mythdragon said:

A question for Bartimaeus.If I used second variant of dispel magic(breach-lite) enemy clerics and monsters use that version too right? I would much prefer a single type of dispel for everybody. You mentioned another dispel option by Subtledoctor but i missed that can anybody point that out for me.

Dispel Magic is not party friendly, and its effects remain the same. It's only Remove Magic where alternative options are offered, so Inquisitors' and Clerics' Dispel Magics are unaffected. At some point, I might also include the same alternative options for Dispel Magic, but at this time, I'm currently unable to do much modding.

Just for information. I have tweaked haste (level3) in my  my BG2/TOB  game.  I didn't play with SRR  but I have tweaked some spells and especially haste level 3 in order to make him affect only one creature. It works like a charm and  perfectly balanced..

just information and suggestion :)