SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

I don't know if this is a known bug or not but larlochs minor drain works on undead. Vampiric touch doesn't as expected. Reason seems to be "larlochs minor drain" wrongly targets "larlochs energy drain" in the eff files. I fixed mine in local so this just so you know if you didn't already. On another topic Vampiric Touch seems a little underpowered.

Edited by Chosen
11 hours ago, Chosen said:

I don't know if this is a known bug or not but larlochs minor drain works on undead. Vampiric touch doesn't as expected. Reason seems to be "larlochs minor drain" wrongly targets "larlochs energy drain" in the eff files. I fixed mine in local so this just so you know if you didn't already. On another topic Vampiric Touch seems a little underpowered.

I'll take a look into it, thanks. Might have been some funkiness when I tried to make it so that these spells could work with multiple uses, but would not keep providing additional maximum HP beyond the first usage.

Hey. If this post is bothersome for some to be placed in this thread, let me know if there's a thread or a group as active as you that would answer my questions.

I'm trying to figure out how BG mechanics work, yet I get flabergast with some in-fight msgs. I use wand of lighthing on Sarevok, and the msg is: Magic Resistance. I use Wand of Heavens, and the msg is the same. And Chromatic Orb, and Cause Affliction. Same msg every time. MR. Yet WoL deals lightning damage, and WoH deals fire damage. What has MR got to do with it? CO indeed deals magic dmg but then requres a save vs spell. Yet Sarevok doesn't even have to roll a save, he just has MR. Then I use Icelance which deals, as far as I know, physical dmg and has a chance to stun if not saved against. The msg is: unaffected by effects of Icelance. No need to roll a save. But how can he be unaffected by physical damage if a normal arrow was able to wound him seconds prior to that? Do some bosses just cheat like that?

By the way, this is Sarevok in the Ducal Palace. If any of you can shed enlightenment on this matter, I'd be super happy. Or, if there's a webpage that gets into such details.

EDIT: Since this is a thread about SPELL revisions, it's not completely off topic :) After all, I'm exploring what spells can and cannnot do to foes. And seeing if revisions change these things or not.

Edited by FixTesteR

I'd also like to report that if I cast Magic Fang onto bats (Animal Summoning I), the game crashes. I am also unsure if the animals are actually affected by the MF spell... There aren't any visual indications that they've been buffed. Though the spell must somehow affect bats as the game crashes the instant there is a bat present in the 30' radius when the spell is cast.

Edited by FixTesteR

Magic Resistance is a % chance that any magical effect, of any sort, will simply fail. (It is a stupid mechanic, and wildly overused in these games considering the Dungeon Master’s Guide literally says “don’t use this too much!”)

Magic damage resistance is a reduction in the amount of damage taken from “magic damage” sources, e.g. Magic Missile. 

Sarevok has the former, not the latter. 

@subtledoctor Then if someone's MR is near 100%, it's nigh impossible to hit him with anything magical. That really topples any elemental resistance as it's so all-magic-encompassing. Feels like a cheap way to buff bosses when you're trying to figure out their weaknesses.

48 minutes ago, FixTesteR said:

Feels like a cheap way to buff bosses when you're trying to figure out their weaknesses.

Indeed. Not for nothing an established tactic is to cast the spell “Magic Resistance” - which is a buff meant to increase your defense - on bosses to reduce their resistance. People argue whether this is a “cheap” tactic, but really it’s just bad boss design. 

In a game that already has resistances and saving throws, MR is duplicative. If it functioned as it sounds - as a resistance, reducing the damage/duration/intensity of hostile magic (think how it works in Oblivion) - then it would be cool. But in BG2 it is poorly done and overused. I mod it right out of my game. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, FixTesteR said:

I'd also like to report that if I cast Magic Fang onto bats (Animal Summoning I), the game crashes. I am also unsure if the animals are actually affected by the MF spell... There aren't any visual indications that they've been buffed. Though the spell must somehow affect bats as the game crashes the instant there is a bat present in the 30' radius when the spell is cast.

I added a visual confirmation for Magic Fang. However, I cast Magic Fang on all Animal Summoning creatures, and all of them were affected, including Bats, without crashing the game. Unsure why that would happen - all I can think that mfang1/2/3.itm might be missing from your override?

On 4/30/2021 at 2:13 PM, Chosen said:

Fixed this. When I first read this, I somehow misread it as being Vampiric Touch that was being the problem, but you very clearly said Larloch's Minor Drain - ended up being an easy fix.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, Bartimaeus said:

all I can think that mfang1/2/3.itm might be missing from your override?

You're right, I don't have that file in my Override folder. The only thing that resembles that file is a folder named mfang, containing various animal files. Help? Do I only need to obtain that file and place it in? I couldn't find it even in the rar of spell_rev.

On 5/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, subtledoctor said:

cast the spell “Magic Resistance” - which is a buff meant to increase your defense - on bosses to reduce their resistance.

Does MR then loop around like the old thief skill points used to?

On 5/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, subtledoctor said:

I mod it right out of my game. 

Okay! And which of your mods do that? :D Might take a look at all of them, anyhow. But still asking.

EDIT: What do you do with WS Kit's MR then?

Edited by FixTesteR
1 hour ago, FixTesteR said:

You're right, I don't have that file in my Override folder. The only thing that resembles that file is a folder named mfang, containing various animal files. Help? Do I only need to obtain that file and place it in? I couldn't find it even in the rar of spell_rev.

Does MR then loop around like the old thief skill points used to?

Okay! And which of your mods do that? :D Might take a look at all of them, anyhow. But still asking.

Ugh, sorry, I don't know why I said "mfang1/2/3"; I meant "batm1/2/3.itm". If those are missing entirely, let me know.

I don't think Magic Resistance in SR works the way Subtledoctor is suggesting - IIRC, in vanilla, the spell Magic Resistance set a creature's magic resistance, so like if it was 100% and you cast Magic Resistance on them, it might set it to only 20% instead of 100%. In SR, the spell Magic Resistance adds magic resistance instead of setting it to a flat value, so it doesn't help. His mod that removes it entirely, on the other hand, would, :p.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Ugh, sorry, I don't know why I said "mfang1/2/3"; I meant "batm1/2/3.itm". If those are missing entirely, let me know.

I have all three of those. So now I'm at a loss why it happens. It's not like you'd often use MF on bats, but I'd like to see if it makes a difference. Testing random game aspects and being thorough with my playthrough.

Right now, I need to test, if after killing Sarevok, I'll be able to do TotSC, or will I be transported to SoD without a chance to go back. In older installs you had to talk to Belt to progress to SoA.

I have all three of those. So now I'm at a loss why it happens. It's not like you'd often use MF on bats, but I'd like to see if it makes a difference. Testing random game aspects and being thorough with my playthrough.

Right now, I need to test, if after killing Sarevok, I'll be able to do TotSC, or will I be transported to SoD without a chance to go back. In older installs you had to talk to Belt to progress to SoA.

Could you give me your batm1/2/3.itms? Investigating them is about all I can think of to do.

No idea regarding Sarevok - haven't ever played EET. Just go and CTRL+J/Y through the whole thing to figure it out, :p.

Thank you!

I might actually do that. Lol. I'm in front of the Bhaal Temple anyway, so not much ctrl+J needed.

batm1.itm 698 B · 0 downloads batm2.itm 698 B · 0 downloads batm3.itm 698 B · 0 downloads

Thanks, I fixed it. I forget sometimes that the EE games will cause a crash when there's a missing resource whereas the original games will not. The problem was that I had made some changes to bats' Swarming ability, which is applied by the bats' weapon...batsu.itm normally, which I had already fixed, but I had forgotten about the Magic Fang versions of the weapons, causing them to try to call a resource that doesn't exist anymore and thus the crash.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/rnb8p3c194i2ml5/mfang.zip

Drop the three .itms from this into your override if you want to fix it. The .spls can also be added so that there is at least a basic visual confirmation that the spell has worked on creatures.

Edited by Bartimaeus