SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

1 hour ago, FixTesteR said:

Hi Bart! Thank you for this! Are you going to update/fix the official version of this mod, too? Just asking to know whether I need to keep these files for future installations.

Those files were meant just for you since you're the one that brought these issues up - I integrated them into the latest repository version of SRR already, so no need to keep them around, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
5 hours ago, FixTesteR said:

I'm actually using SR right now. I'm afraid to install SRR on top lest it bugs out the whole megamodded game.

Ah, that's right, we talked about that and I forgot. ...So wait, your mfang1/2/3.itm was crashing the game in a regular SR game? Interesting - don't know why that would happen, because the one that was happening in SRR was the result of something I did. I would assume that the mfang .itms I gave you would also crash the game because they also wouldn't have the right resource specified for an SR (instead of SRR) game; but the .spls that apply the visual effect should at least work fine.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, Bartimaeus said:

So wait, your mfang1/2/3.itm was crashing the game in a regular SR game?

Yes, or rather, the batm files.

I would assume that the mfang .itms I gave you would also crash the game because they also wouldn't have the right resource specified for an SR (instead of SRR) game

Yet, my game doesn't crash now! Thanks.

but the .spls that apply the visual effect should at least work fine.

Sadly, that doesn't work. I don't have any visual cues. So I just hope that the animals get affected. I also don't see any effects with Animal Growth. Hm?

SR V1.3.500 released.

Fixes:

1. Some minor text fixes (e.g. proper alphabetical organization of some creature traits, IRR's Ring of Gaxx will properly display "Larloch's Energy Drain" for its ability, Book of Infinite Spells will update for spell names, Melf's Minute Meteors explains exactly how many meteors you can possibly get, etc.).
  2. Priest of Talos' Lightning Bolt is properly handled now (correct damage and now has levels for low level characters i.e. BG1).
  3. Protection from the Elements, Imprisonment, Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental, Summon Death Knight, Prismatic Spray, Maze, and Gate scrolls had bad usabilities that could make them usable by the wrong classes.
  4. Protection from element spells have some more specific immunities set to prevent some "ghost hits" (e.g. 0 damage hits).
  5. Sunscorch and Faerie Fire's install order were switched for compatibility purposes (apparently, normal SR had switched them at some point for reasons unknown to me).
  6. Bats' Swarming ability should more consistently work without going nuts.
  7. Protection from Cold was being hidden from cleric spellbooks for no apparent reason (don't know how this one happened!).
  8. Larloch's Minor Drain no longer works on non-organic creatures once more.
  9. Magic Fang could cause a crash with being applied to bats on EE games due to a bad resource name.
  10. Protection from Normal Weapons could be unusable by certain classes/kits due to a bad priest type set.
  11. A number of spell icons have been improved, sometimes either by a little or by a lot (to reduce pixely-ness, to try to get its colors to be more correct to BG's specific shades of blue/red/white that the game uses, or because it looked straight up glitchy). Minor corrections include Regenerate Medium Wounds, Regenerate Moderate Wounds, Regenerate Serious Wounds, Regenerate Critical Wounds, Mass Regenerate Wounds, (Druid) Regeneration, Animal Growth, Sunscorch, Gust of Winds, Summon Shambling Mound, and Mind Blank. More major corrections include Magic Fang (the spellbook icon looked a bit off compared to its other two icons), Chant (its spellbook icon was blue instead of what should've been white), and Expeditious Retreat (whose spellbook icon was really rather horrible-looking being ported straight from IWD as it was - I completely re-made this one while touching up its scroll and character menu icons). Spell Deflection and Spell Shield were also using the wrong, old versions of themselves as opposed to the 1pp/EE-corrected versions, so those were fixed as well.
  12. Lambda-dom/grodrigues fixes. A year or more ago, they sent pull requests for a large number of fixes on the official version of SR's github page. Some of them I'd found myself years prior, but a lot of them were ones I hadn't noticed before, and we had some discussion on some of the more up-to-interpretation ones, and they have since found more. A few of them are EE-dependent changes rather than simple fixes and would break non-EE games (i.e. the elemental damage changes): I have not applied these.

Changes:

1. Shillelagh gains a melee touch THAC0 bonus (+4), but no longer is subject to strength bonus. The logic being that druids will typically not have high strength, and thus will benefit more from the touch bonus (for reference, even at 18 strength with the vanilla strength bonus table, you'd only get -1 THAC0 and +2 damage - at 15 like e.g. Jaheira has, you get literally no bonus strength or damage). Should hopefully make this spell a little better at low levels in most cases. If, on the other hand, you use 3E-style strength and had a beefy 18 strength druid using Shillelagh for its strength bonus, it sucks to be you.
  2. Magic Resistance (the spell) only scales up to level 20 again, not level 25. Generally speaking, the only two things that usually scale higher than level 20 are duration (e.g. if a spell is 1 round/level, it will go up to level 50 for a maximum of 5 turns) and "if the caster is x levels higher than targets" effects (e.g. Holy Word), so having this inexplicably scale up to 25 was wrong.
  3. Magic Fang now has a visual confirmation that applies to each creature it's worked upon.
  4. 5th level Cure/Cause/Regenerate Critical Wounds have been enabled. They were always there, but disabled because of a lack of icons, which I have remedied with some help from IWD...though I had to some manual repairing of said icons because IWD's icons are kind of terrible and were obviously not made to the same level of standard that BioWare did for the BG games.
  5. settings.ini has a new option that allows all friendly spells (cure spells and buffs) to pierce spell protections (e.g. Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Deflection, etc.). This setting willl patch almost 200 spells to pierce - it should be fairly exhaustive.
  6. The readme has been updated a bit, and e.g. now explains the install order I have listed in the main post as well as what each setting.ini option does.
  7. Imprisonment slays PC characters after 1 turn instead of the previous 5 turns that it did.
Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Shillelagh gains a melee touch THAC0 bonus

Might... steal... this... trying... to...resist...

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

If, on the other hand, you use 3E-style strength and had a beefy 18 strength druid using Shillelagh for its strength bonus, it sucks to be you.

:laugh:

Bartimeus, thanks for the new update!

General question: What is the difference between a melee THAC0 and a melee touch THAC0?

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Magic Resistance (the spell)

Does this spell work the same as the innate MR of some foes?

Magic Fang now has a visual confirmation that applies to each creature it's worked upon.

What about Animal Growth?

Imprisonment slays PC characters after 1 turn instead of the previous 5 turns that it did.

Why is this better than vanilla?

On 6/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, Bartimaeus said:

(i.e. the elemental damage changes): I have not applied these.

If applied, would they make elementals deal more damage? Closer to PnP? I must have read that change in some mod before ...

Would you recommend me to update/reinstall SR in my mega-modded game when I'm half-way into the trilogy? Would mega-mod install suffer too much? I'm asking because I'm eager to try your newest version in action, yet wouldn't want to start from the beginning.

6 hours ago, FixTesteR said:

Would you recommend me to update/reinstall SR in my mega-modded game when I'm half-way into the trilogy? Would mega-mod install suffer too much? I'm asking because I'm eager to try your newest version in action, yet wouldn't want to start from the beginning.

No, same as before, I cannot recommend it in the middle of a game - the likelihood of causing tons of problems for your current game is too high.

General question: What is the difference between a melee THAC0 and a melee touch THAC0?

A "melee touch THAC0 bonus" is simply a specific type of THAC0 bonus granted to weapons that are considered "touch" attacks (e.g. Cause Wounds spells, Shocking Grasp, most conjured weapons like Shadow Blade, Spiritual Hammer, etc.). There's nothing special about the bonus itself except the logic behind it - that, and the logic is supposed to preclude that any kind of strength bonus could apply to it.

Does this spell work the same as the innate MR of some foes?

Sure. Vanilla/SR also has that spell (5th level cleric spell). Note that my patch notes apply to SRR, not SR - without the context of having played my version, some patch notes that you read will undoubtedly simply make no sense (and truth be told, I have not played/used normal SR for so long that I can no longer tell what might or might not apply to the standard mod).

Already has had one for a long while - does it not in normal SR?

Why is this better than vanilla?

"Due to game engine limitations, party members affected by this spell will instead be Mazed for 1 turn before being slain. This will allow you to leave the current area if necessary, and will not remove them from your party."

The specific game limitations is that when a character is Imprisoned (using the actual imprisonment effect), it breaks their dialogues and thus the effect is viewed as a sort of game-breaking bug. Note that normal SR already does this as well, it just doesn't mention it in the description.

If applied, would they make elementals deal more damage? Closer to PnP? I must have read that change in some mod before ...

Nothing to do with that, but rather to do with how damage is calculated. There is a feature in the EEs that allows damage to be truly halved in the case of a made saving throw, whereas in the original games, it's simulated. For example, Fireball can do up to 10D6 damage - in the original games, this is represented as two effects, one that is 5D6 with no saving throw allowed, one that is 5D6 with saving throw allowed - if you make your saving throw, the latter isn't applied but the former still is. EEs allow you to cut out the second effect by making it 10D6 and applying this special flag to the effect. It is a minor fix that makes damage very slightly more accurate at the cost of breaking non-EE games, therefore I will not be adding it at this time (...although I could patch all spells using a save for half mechanic in the event of an EE game being detected, it would be tedious and exhausting indeed).

15 hours ago, Salk said:

Thanks for the nice update, Bartimaeus!

Will catch up with this and IRR once I'm home again.

Yep. x.500 of IRR is all but done as well, just working on some readme stuff and some of your feedback for the things we had previously been discussing.

Edited by Bartimaeus
19 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Note that my patch notes apply to SRR, not SR

Huh, right! And I have SR installed. Which might explain why MagF and AniG doesn't show any visuals after you sent me the three files. Though crashing caused by MagF on bats stopped, at least.

20 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:
21 hours ago, FixTesteR said:

Already has had one for a long while - does it not in normal SR?

Nope ... :(

party members affected by this spell will instead be Mazed for 1 turn before being slain

Can Freedom free them before the time is up, and death be thus prevented? If yes, why not Maze them for whatever 9 hours so that either the party has to sleep and use Freedom, or wait it out? 1 turn might be too short to have time to cast Freedom, so the party member is slain. Well, you're basically trading Freedom for Resurrection then.

Thank you for the rest of the answers!

Can Freedom free them before the time is up, and death be thus prevented? If yes, why not Maze them for whatever 9 hours so that either the party has to sleep and use Freedom, or wait it out?

Because, as I understand things, you cannot do area transitions while someone is mazed.  (Right?)  "Gather your party," wot wot?  So you could not go to a store and buy a scroll of Freedom. If you cannot cast 9th-level spells at all, resting will not help and the requirement would simply be an annoyance.

I don't know if effects can be applied that stay on dead NPCs... maybe something like, maze for a turn, then death, but apply an effect that renders the dead person immune to Raise Dead. And add an effect to Freedom that removes that immunity.  So the possible counters would be

1. Cast Freedom within 1 turn: person is restored immediately
  2. After the person dies, cast Freedom, then cast Raise Dead or Recall Spirit
  3. After the person dies, cast Resurrection (it's top-tier divine magic - let it bypass the imprisonment)

Alternatively: Maze the target for 5 turns or whatever, then do a proper Imprisonment. Yes, this would still invoke the broken dialog bug and wreck romances, etc., but the key improvement over vanilla is, you would have a chance, in-game, to prevent that.

Of course this is all a bit silly... if Imprisonment is ultimately just Finger of Death with no saving throw (and in the Conjuration school, and bypassing Death Ward?), then why not... just make it apply death with no saving throw? Why futz around with the Maze mechanic at all?  Just make it the ultimate single-target disabler.

Alternatively, change it to something actually interesting, since "the ultimate single-target disabler" seriously steps on the toes of several other spells, including HLAs. plus the actual Imprisonment spell is discussed as a sort of HLA or ritual magic, e.g. by Galvarey.  If you want the ultimate single-target Conjuration at 9th level, maybe make it an offensive Plane Shift: instead of casting the target into the Ethereal like Maze, send them into a different inner plane each round, for 5 rounds. Remove the target's foot circle etc. and then apply 10d8 cold damage, 10d8 lightning damage, 10d8 fire damage, 10d8 acid damage, and 10d8 magic damage, in a random order. Bring the target back and stop the damage if Freedom is cast at any time.  If the target has sufficient elemental resistance, then let it be survivable. Because even if they do survive, they will stiull take some damage, and they'll be removed from combat for 5 rounds which is no small thing. (Make sure they don't have full resistance, though... maybe cancel specific protections like ProEnergy, and only allow permanent/innate/item-based resistance to apply during those 5 rounds.)

Might have to figure out a more appropriate, necromancy-based alternative for demiliches... but that shouldn't be hard. Do the no-save death thing. Whatever.

Edited by subtledoctor

Can Freedom free them before the time is up, and death be thus prevented? If yes, why not Maze them for whatever 9 hours so that either the party has to sleep and use Freedom, or wait it out? 1 turn might be too short to have time to cast Freedom, so the party member is slain. Well, you're basically trading Freedom for Resurrection then.

As SD said, Maze prevents you from leaving the area, effectively trapping you where you are. In SRR, Freedom cures the impending death effect, but I believe the only way to prevent the death effect in standard SR is to Freedom them, then either have them be wearing something that prevents instant death (e.g. Periapt of Life Protection*) or cast Death Ward on them in time. Don't quote me on that, though. I also believe that standard SR applies the Maze + slay effect to all creatures upon which Imprisonment is cast - in contrast, SRR only does so for specifically party members (since that is the key issue) while all other creatures get the normal imprisonment effect when it's cast upon them.

*Wearing something like the Periapt of Life Protection effectively turns imprisonment into a one turn maze right now - a bit of an exploit, now that I think about it.

SD's offensive "Planar Shift" idea is interesting and probably a better solution for this spell. Imprisonment is iconic, but just really stupidly implemented on a technical level that cannot be fixed by modders.

Edited by Bartimaeus