SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

On 9/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, raimn said:

I did as you asked and reinstalled it with the master branch from git. So far nothing has changed when I try to dispel Krystin's minor globe. I will do another test tomorrow with a new sorcerer and SCS AI installed, since that will give me more mages to test with. msectype.2da is attached as well as the logs of my clean installation. Game version is 2.6.6.0.

Regards,
Raimn

msectype.2da 715 B · 2 downloads weidu-bgee.log 1.54 kB · 0 downloads weidu.log 826 B · 0 downloads

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ocvdm1vz0lssy93/usJelt4CiL.mp4

On a 2.6 EET game with the latest version of SRR installed, I didn't seem to run into any problems. So I'm a little bit at a loss as how to proceed, especially since I don't see anything wrong with any of your attached files. If you can think of anything helpful to add that might impact the issue...with such a basic weidu.log, though, I'm really not sure what could have gone wrong.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The OS I'm running is Kubuntu 21.04. So maybe it has something to do with that, as I seem to recall a post where an incompatibility between Tobex and Linux in general was mentioned. Did you change anything in this regard when you took over the project or did any library change/up since then?

I have done some more testing and switched my enemy of choice to Illasera + SCS AI, and what I found, which also relates to my question above, is, that Spellstrike does work but it uses a different code to do it's work. Namely 221 - Remove spell type protections instead of 230 - Remove protection by type, and when I changed Secret Word to use said code it started working again, it did however act rather like Spellstrike in that it removed all spell protections and not just the highest level one.
If this information doesn't change anything for you in regards to the problem, I think it best to stop looking for now and I will make the change I did to Secret Word to all such spells and make my peace with that, as I do very much prefer your changes (especially to the cure wounds spells) to the original SR changes.

Best regards,
Raimn

32 minutes ago, raimn said:

The OS I'm running is Kubuntu 21.04. So maybe it has something to do with that, as I seem to recall a post where an incompatibility between Tobex and Linux in general was mentioned. Did you change anything in this regard when you took over the project or did any library change/up since then?

I have done some more testing and switched my enemy of choice to Illasera + SCS AI, and what I found, which also relates to my question above, is, that Spellstrike does work but it uses a different code to do it's work. Namely 221 - Remove spell type protections instead of 230 - Remove protection by type, and when I changed Secret Word to use said code it started working again, it did however act rather like Spellstrike in that it removed all spell protections and not just the highest level one.
If this information doesn't change anything for you in regards to the problem, I think it best to stop looking for now and I will make the change I did to Secret Word to all such spells and make my peace with that, as I do very much prefer your changes (especially to the cure wounds spells) to the original SR changes.

Best regards,
Raimn

ToBEx only applies to the original (non-EE) games, not the EEs, so no changes there.

The only remaining suggestion I have is to uninstall your current version of SRR (uninstall EET_END first), then delete your spell_rev folder entirely, then put this spell_rev folder into your game directory and try installing with it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/m1elkquwwd5r4q3/spell_rev.zip

13 minutes ago, raimn said:

I can try. One question though, is the settings.ini the same as you used? Because I edited mine and therein might lie the root cause of the issue. Just a thought.

settings.ini 879 B · 0 downloads

It's not, but nothing in here would change anything. The only thing I considered that might would've been the "dispel_globes" option, but you have it as the default option (and I actually tried with all three and it didn't make any difference anyways). Try with the default settings.ini just to test, though.

@DavidW Do you have a link handy to your "generate spell descriptions to a readme" tool? I need to re-update my spells at some point here, and though I did about 15 minutes of searching, for the world of me, I can't remember what that tool you made is called.

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, raimn said:

IT WORKS. Thank you. Thanks a lot. What did you change? Or is it that I'm just not capable of copying one folder into another?

Best Regards,
Raimn

Your guess is correct...as was mine as soon as I heard you were using Kubuntu - all I did was combine the SRR folder into the SR folder on Windows. I remember @Luke had problems with the same issue way back when - the way Linux and MacOS combine folders is not necessarily the same as the way Windows does. In Windows, if you combine one folder into another, the original folder that isn't being moved initially keeps all of its files, while the new folder that's being moved into the non-moved folder simply adds and then replaces files where there are new files. IIRC, in Luke's case, his OS was actually deleting the original folder entirely, then just putting the new one there. I'm not sure how he solved that, and I'm unsure what yours is doing, because if it actually deletes the original folder, then the installation should fail entirely due to some missing resources. I used to actually have a warning for non-Windows users at the beginning of the thread for something like this occurring, but it seems like it got misplaced at some point.

Edited by Bartimaeus
15 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Your guess is correct...as was mine as soon as I heard you were using Kubuntu - all I did was combine the SRR folder into the SR folder on Windows. I remember @Luke had problems with the same issue way back when - the way Linux and MacOS combine folders is not necessarily the same as the way Windows does. In Windows, if you combine one folder into another, the original folder that isn't being moved initially keeps all of its files, while the new folder that's being moved into the non-moved folder simply adds and then replaces files where there are new files. IIRC, in Luke's case, his OS was actually deleting the original folder entirely, then just putting the new one there. I'm not sure how he solved that, and I'm unsure what yours is doing, because if it actually deletes the original folder, then the installation should fail entirely due to some missing resources. I used to actually have a warning for non-Windows users at the beginning of the thread for something like this occurring, but it seems like it got misplaced at some point.

Hmm, that thought is as disconcerting as it is interesting and also somewhat wrong from my understanding, it does however remind me of something that I have overlooked/forgotten about and after another test am quiet certain to be the root cause for this here problem. Linux and MacOS are case-sensitive in their dealings with files and folders. As such a ACB.spl is not the same as a acb.spl or a ACB.SPL as it would be in windows. Which is the reason why I had to split of a small part of my main data partition to make a new case-insensitive ext4 partition to use for BG and everything Weidu related. Or I thought so, as the folder I saved all the downloads to and kept all the unpacked files in before moving them over was on my original data partition which is case-sensitive. I also did all the patching and merging in said folder. As a test I copied the SR base and SRR "update" folder to the BG partition and merged them there in the folder of the clean installation and all spells worked as expected in the following test. So that was probably it.
Thanks you for all your time and effort in figuring this out. I hope that this is it and that I don't have to come back with another "bug" once I updated/reinstalled my main installation. I will edit/post accordingly depending on when I'm able to to so.

Cheers and have a good one,
Raimn

2 hours ago, raimn said:

Hmm, that thought is as disconcerting as it is interesting and also somewhat wrong from my understanding, it does however remind me of something that I have overlooked/forgotten about and after another test am quiet certain to be the root cause for this here problem. Linux and MacOS are case-sensitive in their dealings with files and folders. As such a ACB.spl is not the same as a acb.spl or a ACB.SPL as it would be in windows. Which is the reason why I had to split of a small part of my main data partition to make a new case-insensitive ext4 partition to use for BG and everything Weidu related. Or I thought so, as the folder I saved all the downloads to and kept all the unpacked files in before moving them over was on my original data partition which is case-sensitive. I also did all the patching and merging in said folder. As a test I copied the SR base and SRR "update" folder to the BG partition and merged them there in the folder of the clean installation and all spells worked as expected in the following test. So that was probably it.

I always forget about case sensitivity. However, there's very, very few files where the case is different between SR and SRR (mostly because 99.99% of files in SR are strictly lower-case, while in SRR, literally *all* files are strictly lower-case). There is exactly one difference, from what I can tell - there is a file called "kreso_eestatsr.tph" in SRR and in SR it's called "kreso_eestatSR.tph". The code says...

INCLUDE ~spell_rev\lib\kreso_eestatsr.tph~

Am I right in presuming that the lowercase one would be installed? If the lower case one was missing, would the installer automatically find the upper-case one? Has to, right?

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Am I right in presuming that the lowercase one would be installed? If the lower case one was missing, would the installer automatically find the upper-case one? Has to, right?

Assuming a case-sensitive filesystem, then yes to the first question, and no to the second and third. That's not the right file and there's no reason to find that one.

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

Thanks! In retrospect, I guess I should've checked out your github, since you seem to host everything there.

2 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

Assuming a case-sensitive filesystem, then yes to the first question, and no to the second and third. That's not the right file and there's no reason to find that one.

Alright, then explain to me how that works, because in SR, it currently says:

INCLUDE ~spell_rev\lib\kreso_eestatsr.tph~

But the actual file is called "kreso_eestatSR.tph". Having a wrong INCLUDE should lead to an error, so the installer must somehow find it.

1 hour ago, Graion Dilach said:

Assuming that it is case-sensitive yes you are right. But Weidu isn't "made" for a case-sensitive environment as far as I know since it was developed for windows only and linux/mac support was added later. Given an case-insensitive environment it should fall back on the other file. Although in that case, the question would be how/why the two files even exist next to one another as they should replace/overwrite each other, depending on the order of being copied.

48 minutes ago, raimn said:

Assuming that it is case-sensitive yes you are right. But Weidu isn't "made" for a case-sensitive environment as far as I know since it was developed for windows only and linux/mac support was added later. Given an case-insensitive environment it should fall back on the other file. Although in that case, the question would be how/why the two files even exist next to one another as they should replace/overwrite each other, depending on the order of being copied.

That's what I figured, otherwise random weidu mods would be breaking all the time for non-Windows OSes. But do we know for absolute certain that if the weidu code says to do the lower-case one, it will absolutely, positively install the lower-case one when there exists another file of different case 100% of the time?

Edited by Bartimaeus