Mod metadata - providing mod full name, description, readme files/links, download/update links

AL|EN

Getting back to this, I can support %LANGUAGE% keyword only when

1. The modder realize that while online domain names aren't case sensitive, paths and filenames are case-sensitive. So this one works:

while this one doesn't:

2. In order to support main language readme which often doesn't contain language prefix, Modder can insert two values separated by coma:

Readme = https://example.com/ModName-Readme.html, https://example.com/ModName-Readme-%LANGUAGE%.html

3. Checking if the online file exist is done via simply checking html error code response, 404 = file doesn't exit > such link it won't be displayed in mod info box.

@Sam.

This is how it looks:
2TU6Lz6.png

I've send you PR https://github.com/Sampsca/Auroras-Shoes-and-Boots/pull/1 so if the next localized readme will be uploaded, you don't have to update the mod metadata 😃

Edited by AL|EN

Revisiting this, one thing which comes to my mind are two additional keywords:

Contributor - a list of people who contributed content for the mod like banters, new components etc 

Maintainer - a person who did only technical updates, fixes without adding or altering content

If somebody thinks that his mod needs such a level of detailed information, feel free to request it.

7 hours ago, DavidW said:

Do many mods have translated READMEs? I would have thought that would be pretty problematic, for exactly the reason you give: they won't generally stay up-to-date.

It's not uncommon, I lately worked on a list of all the translated mods in french and i came upon a lot of them. I'd say 1/8, maybe less have some translated readmes (Mostly french and german one but also some other language.).

But I don't see the point of translating them, too much work for too little purpose. And it gets easily outdated as you say, most of them were already. 

Edited by Jazira
9 hours ago, DavidW said:

Do many mods have translated READMEs? I would have thought that would be pretty problematic, for exactly the reason you give: they won't generally stay up-to-date.

From my own findings, I would say 1/10. Those who have translated readme, it's almost always not for latest version.

14 minutes ago, Gwendolyne said:

And as far as I know, most Argent77"s mods provide translated README. :)

Can confirm this, since I have translated most of Argent77's mods to Polish. And I also keep Polish README up to date.

But this is not a rule, though. I'm not so strict when it comes to translate README for other mods. I think I did it only for those made by Argent77

Edited by Cahir